Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-20, 09:01 AM  
pharma_gal

Hi everyone

Thank you for your replies. I have started working to my nutrition and cleaning up my diet. I have to work on my emotional state because that’s one of the reasons of overeating. I’m hoping I can start a consistent meditation and workout routine.

I have watched Pahla’s videos before but no I really need to take that advice because I am in peri menopause so my hormones are also messed up so that’s another reason of the weight gain. Her weight loss plan sounds good I will try it hopefully I like her style. I am not looking to buy anything new right now I want to use my DVDs and maybe YouTube. I started out my journey with the Firm and I still have those DVDs so I may add those to my rotation.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 10:00 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Hi everyone

Thank you for your replies. I have started working to my nutrition and cleaning up my diet. I have to work on my emotional state because that’s one of the reasons of overeating. I’m hoping I can start a consistent meditation and workout routine.

I have watched Pahla’s videos before but no I really need to take that advice because I am in peri menopause so my hormones are also messed up so that’s another reason of the weight gain. Her weight loss plan sounds good I will try it hopefully I like her style. I am not looking to buy anything new right now I want to use my DVDs and maybe YouTube. I started out my journey with the Firm and I still have those DVDs so I may add those to my rotation.
As I suggested previously, you might like Debra Atkinson. She talks about strength, cardio but also about stress and it's effect on our hormones. She has a lot of free stuff on her website and youtube.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 10:08 AM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
As I suggested previously, you might like Debra Atkinson. She talks about strength, cardio but also about stress and it's effect on our hormones. She has a lot of free stuff on her website and youtube.
Thank you. I will look her up.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 12:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I started out my journey with the Firm and I still have those DVDs so I may add those to my rotation.
The Firm and Slim Series were the only 2 systems i can vouch for. people noticed before i did that i had lost weight when i did the F90DR the first time - it was physically noticeable. come to find out, i had lost about 8 pounds.

Slim Series helped me get to pre-wedding weight after all 3 of my pregnancies. in the food department, fiber was key. PM me for details.

i tagged this thread with success stories.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 12:34 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I swear I don't work for Pahla B or get any kickbacks from her, but I really think she is worth listening to if you are on a weight loss/stress reduction journey.

Even if you don't enjoy her workouts - she does have Podcasts and Q&As that have good information - not only about weight loss and fitness, but also about other "mindset" issues - like setting goals, dealing with grief, etc.
I agree. She has a lot of good things to say. I don’t do her workouts often but I listen to her podcasts sometimes while lifting weights or on the treadmill.

For me, I think exercise helps with weight maintenance, and in the past for losing a few pounds. It is not about how many calories are burned, I think, and I pay zero attention to those. It’s about energy boosting and feeling good, which keeps me on track for taking care of myself in other ways, like paying attention to what I put in my mouth.

If instead it’s used as a mental justification to be able to eat more, for the middle-aged women, I don’t think it works.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 06:24 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
If instead it’s used as a mental justification to be able to eat more, for the middle-aged women, I don’t think it works.
Couldn't agree more! Nothing works for me. 47, deep into perimenopause but still have fairly regular cycles. Gained 25 pounds in two years, all in my waist and gut. Nothing, and I mean, nothing, has made a dent in this. I went from a size 8 to a size 16 jeans, 36C to 42DD bra. The last two weeks of my cycle are a true hell. I tried the myfitnesspal app to chart macros/calories and I did lose about 5 pounds, but the next cycle, it all just came back. So I'm pretty much just gaining/losing the same 5 pounds over and over and probably adding more on since I refuse to step on the scale. The low carb dieting only makes my headaches worse.

I'm slowly realizing that this is just life from now on. Exercise/weights/eating used to work. Now I'm just doing what I can when I feel I can and realizing that it probably won't do anything. If I feel good, I like to still do weights and a bit of cardio. If I feel low/tired, I try to walk, do some fusion stuff. But in terms of weight loss, I don't think it will ever happen for me.
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 10:30 AM  
Negin

This thread and everyone's posts is so helpful and timely for me. I'm currently at one of my heaviest weights ever, even heavier than when I was pregnant over two decades ago. It's only in the past few days that I'm trying to get back into the swing of things - weighing myself daily, tracking my food intake, and working out, but not excessively (not that I can workout excessively anyway).

Quote:
I highly recommend Pahla B on You Tube. She has a 31 day Weight Loss Program
Her Calm & Strong rotation would probably be particularly good for stress relief.
Such a timely post. I only recently found Pahla B and although she's definitely chatty, I like the few workouts of hers that I've tried so far. I just printed out her e-book and am about to read it. I'm undecided as to whether I should give her 31-Day Weight Loss Program a go, or whether to go with Jessica Smith's Calm and Strong. I love both instructors. Too many choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
After receiving a Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis early this summer (and after packing on some quarantine/stress weight), I changed my diet and did Pahla's series. To date, I've lost 24 pounds and improved my bloodwork dramatically.
Carol, this is so motivating. Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
No matter how much I exercise, it has never made a difference in my weight - ever.
I hear you. I'm 52. From the time that I was in my mid-30's, I realized that I could no longer out-exercise a bad diet. The older that I get, the more I realize it's mostly diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This is my experience, although up until I was 35-38, I could exercise away the pounds. Now, at 63, what and how much I eat determines my weight and my size.
Yes, this is me also.

Quote:
she does have Podcasts and Q&As that have good information - not only about weight loss and fitness, but also about other "mindset" issues - like setting goals, dealing with grief, etc.
Thank you for mentioning her podcast. I'm going to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm slowly realizing that this is just life from now on. Exercise/weights/eating used to work. Now I'm just doing what I can when I feel I can and realizing that it probably won't do anything. If I feel good, I like to still do weights and a bit of cardio. If I feel low/tired, I try to walk, do some fusion stuff. But in terms of weight loss, I don't think it will ever happen for me.
I hear you. I often feel the exact same way. I hope and pray that we can both overcome this.
Old 01-08-21, 10:48 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Just do your best to celebrate the victory of continuing to move, make wise food choices and overall take care of your body.

It IS worth it to keep moving to do your best to preserve your muscle mass and bone density and cardio health.

If you focus on that, maybe that will help? (See my Miranda quote in my signature)

Hugs!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 01:23 PM  
Negin

Quote:
I highly recommend Pahla B
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Ditto Donna's suggestions!
Donna and Carol, and anyone else who may be able to answer this:

I've only done a few of Pahla B's workouts. I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of injuries. The older that I get the more that I realize that even some of Jessica's moves are no longer a good idea for me. I also prefer to avoid running, jumping, and pounding. I know that some of Pahla's workouts involve running.

Are Pahla's MODERATE/Weight-Loss Workouts high-impact? Do they involve running, jumping, or pounding? I'd rather know now than get started on something that may not be suitable for me. Ideally, I would like to avoid injury if at all possible.

I just joined the Facebook group for Pahla B and someone posted this. It got me a bit concerned:

"I'm an odd one, I know, but I love drinkie birds! Unfortunately, I have a tricky sacroiliac joint, and my PT says no more drinkie birds or wide lunges. They mess with my alignment. I know that everything else is "enough," but as a type-A overachiever, I'm seriously bummed."

I'm concerned because I'm that way also, an overachiever, and I don't usually like moderating my workouts. I always feel that I'm not getting the best bang for my buck when I moderate. Maybe Pahla B would be too much for me? I would love to do her moderate/weight-loss workouts if they're not too high-impact and are safe.

Thank you both!
Old 01-08-21, 03:42 PM  
donnamp

Hi Negin,

Pahla's new stuff for weight loss does not include any running or jumping. Her Body Sculpting program includes a "Sunday Runday" that has intervals of walking and running -but you could totally just do all walking or substitute some other cardio activity for that day - an outdoor walk, another cardio video, a bike ride, etc. In one of her recent videos she does mention that she hasn't done high impact since 2019, and i think that is about right from what I could tell.

As for the other exercises - like drinky birds and such - inevitably, no matter what instructor or type of program you follow, there will always be some move that just doesn't work for your body and for those you do just have to become ok with substituting. There is no need to injure yourself to get stronger, in fact, injuring yourself is the way you will not get stronger. As Pahla says "there are no exercise police" - she is very encouraging of modifications and making things work for you. She does offer suggestions - for instance if you can't do squats/lunges she says to substitute a kicking move instead. For drinky birds - essentially one-legged deadlifts, you can always do two legged deadlifts or if deadlifts are a no-no you can always do bridges. The bottom line is, unless you design your own program or work with a trainer to personally design one for you, there will almost always be an exercise that doesn't work for you.

It has taken me awhile to come to terms with this but now, if something doesn't work for me I just do a different exercise, or go slower with it, etc.

Hope this helps!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss