Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-08, 12:15 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel nee nee
Stand not facing, but sideways to the wall and punch with the arm that is right against the wall to throw a jab.
I was thinking about standing in a narrow hallway to throw punches, to train to keep the elbows in, but I didn't think it would be possible to find a narrow enough hallway, LOL! This would work just as well.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 12:21 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
IMO, if you keep your thumb inside the fist, it has to be the top part of the thumb only, just the tip, to protect it from getting jammed (if you put the first joint of the thumb in there as well, a hard punch could definitely break that joint by pushing the covering fingers down onto it---try both ways and you'll see what I mean)..
Yes, that's what I meant - I should have been more clear.
Old 12-14-08, 12:24 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra
Most white belts' punching improves dramatically within their first month of training. It's a beautiful thing to watch happen. Kicking takes much longer, years for some people.
I'm glad you said that, Kyra. My kicking needs a lot of improvement, so now I don't feel so bad.

ETA - Happy Birthday!
Old 12-14-08, 04:33 PM  
angel nee nee

Please don't take my advice too seriously. I do not mean to tell anyone what to do or not to do. I hope I did not sound that way. I was just trying to help out by sharing what I do from my very limited knowledge. As I said, I know each instructors train their students differently.

Kyra,
I don't get to practice much anymore since I got pregnant with first, but my background if JKD, Win Chun Kung Fu, boxing, Kali, Silat, Arnis, dumog, little savat, little bit of Thai boxing, little aikido, little jui-juitsu (mostly Brazilian), etc.

Kathryn,
I didn't add too much more but I was going to say the same thing about twisting, I peronslaly belive twisting at the end adds more power. I don't know if any of you care about Bruce Lee's philosophy, but he also believed tightening the fist at the end added more power also.

I think I might be ingnorant or confused about punching and knuckles. lol hehe.
are you punching with bending part of your finger? You know, finger joint part where fingers bend? Or the part where finger starts? When I hit, I actually ure more of other end of the hand (pinky and ring finger side) than pointer finger and middle finger side if I were to describe which side I am using more. maybe I have a fanky form.

And for cool VF members to share our joy of video exercising with!
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:40 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
are you punching with bending part of your finger? You know, finger joint part where fingers bend? Or the part where finger starts? When I hit, I actually ure more of other end of the hand (pinky and ring finger side) than pointer finger and middle finger side if I were to describe which side I am using more. maybe I have a fanky form.
I hit with the flat part of the knuckles, not the joint area (the 'bending part of the fingers'? I think that you're describing the joints). Never thought of hitting with the joints, but that would cause one to tip the hand down and again bend the wrist. (my poor left palm...I'm trying all these punch variations out on it, and it's getting sore! I must say, hitting with the joints does hurt it more! OUCH!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:47 PM  
angel nee nee

okay that's what I thought. thanks for clarifying that. lol I was thinking that sounds painful myself. lol

Old 12-14-08, 05:17 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

There will be slight variations to technique based on what somebody is studying. In my first post, I wrote to make contact with the first two knuckles of the fist but then I noticed that angel said that she hits with all four knuckles (although I don't get the part of hitting closer to the pinky area). Also both angel and I said not to tuck the thumb inside the other four fingers but then RedPanda said that her instructor said to do this. However, RedPanda was talking about bare knuckle boxing which I don't do. When we spar, we wear gloves (not boxing ones) and there is no way my thumb can be tucked under the fingers with those gloves.
Old 12-14-08, 05:32 PM  
angel nee nee

yeah exactly, we all learn differently. We all each have to find out waht works the best for you.
(I'm talking about for self defence and sports purpose)

What works for one person might not work for other because of the person's size, clothing, lifestyle, health, opponent, weapon availability, flexibility, quickness, strength, muscle mass, etc etc varies.

So it's okay if we all don't do it the same way.
Plus, we are all typing here and it's quite hard to describe what we are doing physically with word at least for me. lol!! As I type, in my mind I *think* I am doing things this way but watch me do it totally different in my real life when I practice. lol

But anyway, for orignal post question... bfit,
If you are doing for exercise only, important thing is you don't get hurt. Warm up, and if you are actually hitting something, don't hurt yourself by punching with the knuckles (lol), or punching yourself in the face with uppercuts (lol), or bending wrists, etc Wearing hand wrap will help you with wrists, there are some gloves that comes with the part you can wrap your wrist too.)

IF you are wanting to learn for serious self defence or sports, it's best to go to classes where you can be taught by instructors who can see your form and instruct you personally.

Old 12-14-08, 10:47 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Kyra,
I don't get to practice much anymore since I got pregnant with first, but my background if JKD, Win Chun Kung Fu, boxing, Kali, Silat, Arnis, dumog, little savat, little bit of Thai boxing, little aikido, little jui-juitsu (mostly Brazilian), etc.
Interesting. Do you live in the city? I'd have to travel far and wide to hit all of those styles. Have you done gradings in all of them? If so, I'm jealous. I'm sticking to shotokan (with dabblings in BJJ and Seishindo) until black belt; at that point I'll probably continue on to nidan and start to seriously mess with something else (a more joint lock or grapping focused art - depending on what I can find).

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 11:02 PM  
angel nee nee

Kyra,
Wow! Good for you....! I hope you will get to pursue your goal! Go for it!!!!
How do you like shotokan? OKay I am little getting off subject and hijacking the original topic here, sorry.... if you want to talk about our hobbies, we can always talk about it. Please feel free to pm me, or we can maybe start a martial thread.

I have gradings in some, but not all of them. I don't live in huge ciry there, but I have been blessed with wonderful oppourtunities as far as martial art learning goes. My husband has been passionate about martial art as well and started a martial art academy once. It started very small by teaching military people. (he was in the military) We always practiced and learned together back then, so I got to get involved in teaching too.

Then he got to expand his business and recruited many, many martial art instructors that teach different styles.

Long story short... we are not doing that business anymore. He is still teaching, but in much, much smaller scale and only three arts.

as for me.... This is even more off topic but I am realizing lately that since my pregnancy, all my hobbies, including and especially martial art has been put aside in order for me to take care of kids. Another day, someone asked me what my hobby was, and I realized well, I like this, but I'm not doing that anymore... I loved doing that, but I am not doing it neither.... becuase I had to put kids first......
which is okay. I do enjoy being a mommy and it has been a great blessing for me. I gladly sacrifice my hobby time.
But after that conversation I started to think, I should try to do something for myself..... so I can be cheerful and be a blessing to my family.

Getting back to video exercising that I love so much once again is one of my hobbies.

Martial art is still one of my passion.... maybe I get to be involved more when kids a little bigger.
Right now, we don't have a daycare or babysitter for kids during martial art hour while my husband teaches.

Anywho that was totally off subject, sorry...

I'm going to bed now. nite nite.

Tags
boxing