Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-15, 05:03 PM  
fagiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnee View Post
Another who has a family history. Just an fyi, last time I had a colonoscopy I used Prepopik for the prep and it was sooooooooooo much better than the nasty gallons of stuff they usually give (which I could not tolerate). It's only 5 ounces twice. You really need to drink twice as much water as recommended, and some insurance companies don't cover it, but it's fabulous if you can get it.

As for the procedure itself -- I loved the happy, sleepy feeling afterward .

Ronnee
Thanks for the prep suggestion, Ronnee Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer at age 48 with no family history. Next year will be my 4th colonoscopy. I have progressed to a 5 year screening and have hated all the preps thus far. Maybe the Prepopik will be more tolerable

Felecia
fagiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 08:40 PM  
bfit

My understanding is that the colonoscopy is the "gold standard" in colon screening. The other tests are better than nothing for people who absolutely won't get a colonoscopy. Also, maybe I'm not understanding all of this thread correctly, but a colonoscopy does not involve any "cutting" unless they find and remove a polyp during the procedure.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 08:51 PM  
pcdoctor01

The last colon prep liquid that I had, the stuff actually tasted good. Ronnee, my sister loved the sleep she received when she had her colonoscopy. She asked the nurse where can I get some of that. I wonder if I snore during the procedure?
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 04:31 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagiles View Post
Thanks for the prep suggestion, Ronnee Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer at age 48 with no family history. Next year will be my 4th colonoscopy. I have progressed to a 5 year screening and have hated all the preps thus far. Maybe the Prepopik will be more tolerable

Felecia
Definitely ask! It made the whole process way more tolerable. But again, drink lots more water than recommended to insure that it does the job . Good luck to you -- sorry to hear you had to go through that!

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 04:31 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
The last colon prep liquid that I had, the stuff actually tasted good. Ronnee, my sister loved the sleep she received when she had her colonoscopy. She asked the nurse where can I get some of that. I wonder if I snore during the procedure?
Yeah, they finally had to kick me out of the recovery room, LOL!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 10:47 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
My boyfriend has taken the cologuard test (through the VA) the past two years. He would never submit to a colonoscopy unless absolutely necessary, and maybe not even then, so that is a great option for him and others who feel the same way.

I haven't had a colonoscopy since I was a teenager and haven't reached the age where it is recommended. However, my father passed away from colon cancer so once I reach my 50's I might consider undergoing a colonoscopy again just to make sure all is okay and then do the cologuard test every year after that unless one of the tests comes back with red flags.

It's a personal choice, and it's great that we have medical choices as to whether we want invasive or noninvasive tests / treatment.
My DH will be getting the Cologuard through the VA too. I'm so glad they have this test! He would never get a Colonoscopy either.
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 11:02 PM  
kimzwirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post

I haven't had a colonoscopy since I was a teenager and haven't reached the age where it is recommended. However, my father passed away from colon cancer so once I reach my 50's I might consider undergoing a colonoscopy again just to make sure all is okay and then do the cologuard test every year after that unless one of the tests comes back with red flags.
Please don't wait. I had two high school classmates who had colon cancer before their 30th birthday, and there were only 44 people in my graduating class. One of them passed away in her early 30s, the other one miraculously survived. Their family members were tested and some were also found to have early signs of colon cancer. Waiting is not a good idea if you have family history of this disease.
kimzwirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
One year, I had the double-whammy of a colonoscopy AND an endoscopy. They gave me Propofol for the anesthetic. (Yeah, it was Propofol that Michael Jackson needed to sleep.) I was out in seconds. I woke up feeling fine and we went out for lunch after. Unfortunately, insurance companies won't often pay for Propofol because (I think) you need some sort of special anesthetist to administer it.

Usually, with regular anesthesia, I wake up all groggy and just want to go home and go to bed.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 12:10 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzwirez View Post
Please don't wait. I had two high school classmates who had colon cancer before their 30th birthday, and there were only 44 people in my graduating class. One of them passed away in her early 30s, the other one miraculously survived. Their family members were tested and some were also found to have early signs of colon cancer. Waiting is not a good idea if you have family history of this disease.
I second this! I delayed a colonoscopy until age 60 because I was scared witless by the mere thought of the procedure. Also thought I was OK because there's no family history of the disease. I ended up having precancerous lesions removed and two colonoscopies in one year (the second was a follow-up check). The procedure turned out to be a walk in the park, even though my gastro doc doesn't use full anesthesia. I did get lots of Happy Land drugs and went out for breakfast with DH afterward. Now I'm on an every-three-years schedule and plan to be a model patient this time around.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 03:09 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
A co-worker was talking about the new "cologuard" test for colon cancer. I told her that I had a reason for getting colonoscopies. She said she does not want a doctor cutting on her. She said, "That's why they call it a practice". She also said she doesn't want any anesthesia. I was thinking yikes. If I'm in a car accident, I want the doctors cutting on me and I want the anesthesia. I think I'm sticking with the colonoscopy. I guess for the really super safe person you could do the colonoscopy and the cologuard.

http://consumer.healthday.com/cancer...st-690679.html
Am I to understand that they have to *cut* into you to do a colonoscopy?!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colon cancer, colonoscopy