Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-10, 09:02 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
OK, I'm even more confused, where do we learn about kettlebells "for real"?
Or does the average person who wants to get stronger realy need to? It seems large numbers of people have been getting stronger, more endurance, losing fat, etc.by following the techniques and working along with the dvds produced by Anthony, Lauren Brooks, Sarah Lurie, Andrea DuCane, etc. These instructors have been doing this for a long time now in most cases and to my admitedly uninformed eye seem to be in excellent shape, not dead or disabled in anyway. If they got this way by using a diluted intro level technique in an irregular ans non-intense way, I'm in!

Ann
I understand what Samantha is saying, but I admit I have the same questions. I guess for now I am going to keep doing the hard style stuff, because I am not banging myself up (except a bit w/cleans but that's just a form issue that is getting better), nothing hurts or feels rough, and the workouts I have done are short and I don't do them every day. The instructors I have been listening to seem to take a big interest in form, alignment, spine and knee health, etc. I am taking things slowly.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 09:41 AM  
suegy3

Quote:
OK, I'm even more confused, where do we learn about kettlebells "for real"?
Or does the average person who wants to get stronger realy need to? It seems large numbers of people have been getting stronger, more endurance, losing fat, etc.by following the techniques and working along with the dvds produced by Anthony, Lauren Brooks, Sarah Lurie, Andrea DuCane, etc. These instructors have been doing this for a long time now in most cases and to my admitedly uninformed eye seem to be in excellent shape, not dead or disabled in anyway. If they got this way by using a diluted intro level technique in an irregular ans non-intense way, I'm in!

Ann
lol!

As I said in an earlier post, Lisa Shaffer said it depends and since I wanted to do kb's for fitness, she said hard style was probably best for me.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:38 AM  
akaAnnie

Suegy3,
Like you, I think a lot of Lisa Shaffer and value her opinion. If the hard style is for fitness, what is the soft style for? You can tell I'm still trying to get my head around this, LOL. Heck, I'm trying to get my head around the fact that AKC means something besides the American Kennel Club!
Ann
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:52 AM  
suegy3

Quote:
Suegy3,
Like you, I think a lot of Lisa Shaffer and value her opinion. If the hard style is for fitness, what is the soft style for? You can tell I'm still trying to get my head around this, LOL. Heck, I'm trying to get my head around the fact that AKC means something besides the American Kennel Club!
Ann
Soft Style is for kb competition. So you can do 10 minutes of snatches, and the other exercises- I think clean & jerk and another one. That's why the breathing is different too.

I like Lisa too and I believe that she was affiliated with both organizations at one time. Her opinion appeared to be based on what your goals were. You can try sending her an email. I emailed her many times when I first started with kbs. She is very responsive and she appears to be an awesome person.

LOL about American Kennel Club. I thought the same thing when I first heard it.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 11:05 AM  
tigerbaby

I am in no way an expert when it comes to kettlebells so please take my opinion as merely that, an opinion and a preference.

Both RKC and AKC styles ARE for fitness but the emphasis in AKC is moreso on fluidity, and joint health and mobility. I'm a huge fan of Scott Sonnon who is AKC style. In AKC, every move builds one upon the other. The swing is not merely a foundational move but is taught as a way to progress on to the other moves like the snatch and the long cycle. As Samantha pointed out, breathing is different in AKC style. AKC style is intended for high reps for longer periods of time. The breathing techniques, joint mobility exercises, and focus on endurance is what sets AKC apart. The idea is to allow your body to structurally handle the weight when in rest (such as in the rack position) so as not to fatigue or cause injury.

There is nothing wrong with RKC style and you can achieve great strength and fitness within the "hard" style. I merely prefer AKC style because of the emphasis on fluidity and "softness" in the body in order to execute the moves. In general, I'm a fan of anything that promotes fluidity within the body because as we know with anything we do in life, tension and rigidity can set one up for injury, especially when swinging around a bell.
Old 08-22-10, 11:44 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

So guys, where do these ladies fall in the range of kettlebell styles?

http://www.athleta.net/chi/featured-...es/ickb-girls/

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 12:44 PM  
mschmidt

Great link gibbee! Thank you, I hadn't seen these ladies before, lots of wonderful information.
mschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 12:58 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
So guys, where do these ladies fall in the range of kettlebell styles?

http://www.athleta.net/chi/featured-...es/ickb-girls/
It appears that these women are AKC style. WKC, World Kettlebell Club, is Valery Fedorenko, AKC style master coach, who was Scott Sonnon's trainer. Scott Sonnon is on the advisory board for WKC and I believe a master coach for AKC.
Old 08-22-10, 01:18 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbaby View Post
I am in no way an expert when it comes to kettlebells so please take my opinion as merely that, an opinion and a preference.

Both RKC and AKC styles ARE for fitness but the emphasis in AKC is moreso on fluidity, and joint health and mobility. I'm a huge fan of Scott Sonnon who is AKC style. In AKC, every move builds one upon the other. The swing is not merely a foundational move but is taught as a way to progress on to the other moves like the snatch and the long cycle. As Samantha pointed out, breathing is different in AKC style. AKC style is intended for high reps for longer periods of time. The breathing techniques, joint mobility exercises, and focus on endurance is what sets AKC apart. The idea is to allow your body to structurally handle the weight when in rest (such as in the rack position) so as not to fatigue or cause injury.

There is nothing wrong with RKC style and you can achieve great strength and fitness within the "hard" style. I merely prefer AKC style because of the emphasis on fluidity and "softness" in the body in order to execute the moves. In general, I'm a fan of anything that promotes fluidity within the body because as we know with anything we do in life, tension and rigidity can set one up for injury, especially when swinging around a bell.
Well said Tigerbaby, the only thing I'll like to add I was very surprised when I tried the breathing technique, or as Sam pointed out to me the correct terminology is "anatomical breathing" of AKC how much longer I was able to do swings. I'm still learning will probably try to take a few classes with a AKC trained instructor. As I did 2 1/2 years ago with a RKC instructor

nyxblack1, I personally believe both are "real Kbell" lifting as tigerbaby said, there's nothing wrong with RKC, just whatever you goals/training preference is
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 01:41 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post

nyxblack1, I personally believe both are "real Kbell" lifting as tigerbaby said, there's nothing wrong with RKC, just whatever you goals/training preference is
Thanks. You know, I might be the guinea pig and buy this DVD. I like her youtube clips.

Last edited by counterclockwise; 08-30-10 at 06:56 PM. Reason: removed part of post
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell bombshell, kettlebell certifications, lisa balash