Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-10, 07:44 PM  
akaAnnie

Ok, I'm a little confused. Which, if any, of our presently available-Lauren brooks, Anthony, MB45 are "soft style"? What DVDs show the soft style-or are they all hard style? I'd like to keep using them for a long time and I'd like to know more.
Ann
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 07:50 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
Ok, I'm a little confused. Which, if any, of our presently available-Lauren brooks, Anthony, MB45 are "soft style"? What DVDs show the soft style-or are they all hard style? I'd like to keep using them for a long time and I'd like to know more.
Ann
The ones that you listed are hard style. I'm sure that both styles are fine and I don't think that Samantha was stating that hard style is wrong or dangerous.

When I first started with kb's I spoke to Lisa Shaffer about the differences and which I should do. I believe that she has/had affiliations with both styles. She said that for fitness, hard style kb is fine.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:27 PM  
icebergslim

I missed this, but from her clips her form is solid, but I would like to view more than 30 seconds before I take the plunge.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:08 AM  
akaAnnie

suegy3,
Samantha wrote:
Quote:
Generally speaking you will not see hard style practitioners live to a healthy old age because they punish their bodies so much during the youth. On the other hand soft style practitioners are renowed for mantaining health vitality and flexibility into their older years.
I would think anything that shortened your lifespan would be considered dangerous, or at the very least, unhealthy.

Ann
Old 08-21-10, 08:01 AM  
counterclockwise

I also thought Samantha was saying hard style was more dangerous than the soft/competition style.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 08:14 AM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
suegy3,
Samantha wrote:

I would think anything that shortened your lifespan would be considered dangerous, or at the very least, unhealthy.

Ann
I did not think that she was referring to kettlebells and if she was, then I misunderstood. And I would like to see the studies supporting this position.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 10:35 PM  
bee1forfitness

Dr Olsen (of Fitness Prescription: Perfect Legs, Glutes & Abs, and 10 Minute Solution: Kettlebell Ultimate Fat Burner) on the Collage forum spoke about these 2 Kettlebell disciplines "hard style aka RKC and "soft style/competition aka AKC. One is NOT better than the other it just depends on what your preferred way to train I love to sweat and feel worked out, I like HIIT and plyometrics...so for the most part I like "hard style" but I also like yoga and pilates, so I also like "soft style" especially for Kettlebell lifts like the snatches and over-head presses.

Here is the website Dr Olsen referred, this page speaks to AKC. I have been experimenting "Flow breathing" (you usually inhale on the working phase of the movement and exhale on the retraction of the movement). I've found that I can do swings alot longer which has in turn has really made swings more enjoyable for me. I like both disciplines and mix it up between the two. I personally believe both are good ways to get strong and fit the low impact way.
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 01:12 AM  
editstein
VF Supporter

While I respect Dr Olsen and her being a doctor -, but I believe many people now are speaking about kbs - or jumping on the wagon - without being kb people.
AKC style as you mentioned, or competition style, is not ^AKC^ style , is simply the only style and is used by anyone who knows about kbs for real. RKC style is a diluited intro level technique style and you can say it might be the same on the body as th other one if you do a few reps but not if you practice intensely and regularly.
I believe RKC is so well known in US many don't even dare to take the time to see how things are.
*Flow breathing* is called anatomical breathing and yes , it makes you go on forever if your technique is good.
Paradox breathing ( rkc) is normally used for extra heavy weights only.
Old 08-22-10, 07:14 AM  
akaAnnie

OK, I'm even more confused, where do we learn about kettlebells "for real"?
Or does the average person who wants to get stronger realy need to? It seems large numbers of people have been getting stronger, more endurance, losing fat, etc.by following the techniques and working along with the dvds produced by Anthony, Lauren Brooks, Sarah Lurie, Andrea DuCane, etc. These instructors have been doing this for a long time now in most cases and to my admitedly uninformed eye seem to be in excellent shape, not dead or disabled in anyway. If they got this way by using a diluted intro level technique in an irregular ans non-intense way, I'm in!

Ann
Old 08-22-10, 08:14 AM  
Gatorfan76

Wink

Hope someone will post a review soon
I'm so impressed with everyone's knowledge on the kettlebell styles- I have a long way to go

I'm very curious about this one- just really don't want to spend that much...

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell bombshell, kettlebell certifications, lisa balash