Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-20, 07:53 AM  
cyana

Barefoot & On The Mat: Jan. 5 - 11, 2020 - "The Shortest Day Has Passed"

"The shortest day has passed, and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer. Minute by minute they lengthen out. It takes some weeks before we become aware of the change. It is imperceptible even as the growth of a child, as you watch it day by day, until the moment comes when with a start of delighted surprise we realize that we can stay out of doors in a twilight lasting for another quarter of a precious hour."
- Vita Sackville-West

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread. This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of work-outs, but have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc., - or even if you prefer doing traditional work-outs without shoes, you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 08:11 AM  
cyana

I thought that quote was appropriate since we were lamenting the dark days of winter in last week's thread.

I did a PahlaB walking/jogging work-out one day last week while wearing shoes. It felt so weird!!! As much as I may grouse about being cold this time of year, I still find it difficult to work out wearing shoes.

I cleaned out my kitchen's junk drawer just before Christmas. I admit, it was kind of like the cartoons with the clown cars - you're wondering how on earth all those clowns crammed themselves into the tiny car. I kept wondering - how on earth is there still more stuff in this drawer??? The drawer looks amazing now, so yesterday I decided I'd tackle two of the kitchen cabinets. Inspired by how great they look, I may tackle several more today! Not sure how many times I opened the doors to gaze upon my neatly organized cabinets. I think I may also spend an hour this AM decluttering my office, as it's time for a paper purge.

I bought the most amazing almond butter at the Whole Wallet yesterday - Big Spoon Roasters Fiji Ginger. I promptly died and went to heaven after the first bite. Seriously.

I'll be back later with today's work-out.

Old 01-05-20, 10:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, you are off to an early start this week! I was actually just thinking about the shortest day as I was driving home in the dark on Friday. I'm definitely looking forward to the (gradual) increase in light! LOL about the junk drawers! I'm pretty good about clutter but probably do need to do more de-papering at work. That almond butter does sound delish--I LOVE ginger!!!

Have to figure out my workout for the day and then I will be back to check in later.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 12:03 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Cyana, thank you for starting us off this week! I'm looking forward to lighter evenings too. Last spring during my Practice Retirement I did some major household decluttering, but I almost feel it is time for another round -- although I did give a lot of excess kitchen stuff to my niece when she moved into my brother's place.

I finally had a week that is not a total embarrassment to recap :

Sunday: A 1-mile segment from Leslie Sansone's Walk 15 set; Powerfit Harmony Core Body Balance; Classical Stretch episode 1225.
Monday: Upper Body segment from Kathy Smith Lift Weights To Lose Weight 1.
Tuesday: Lower Body segment from Kathy Smith Lift Weights To Lose Weight 1.
Wednesday: Two miles outdoor walk; Upper Body Strength from Jessica Smith Walk Strong 1 set.
Thursday: One mile outdoor walk; a 1-mile segment from Leslie Sansone's Walk 15 set; Lower Body sections from Volume 1 of Margaret Richard Beauty To the Bone; Classical Stretch 1224.
Friday: One mile outdoor walk; Abs & Waist segment from Essentrics Body Sculpting Series; Upper Body segment from Kathy Smith Lift Weights To Lose Weight 2.
Saturday: My body asked for a day off so I granted it one.

After such a dismal November and December, it feels good to be moving again!

Hey, is anybody familiar with the Club Pilates franchise? One is going in just a few miles away from me. I do of course love my home workouts, but have been thinking it might be fun to shake things up a little and maybe even meet more fitness friends.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:48 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is a rest day.

Cyana, that is a great quote to start our week with--thank you for starting us!
When I was in California, I reorganized the entire kitchen. It was a lot of work but worth the effort.
Mmmm, I love almond butter!

Sandra, I never heard of the Club Pilates. I would like to take a pilates class one day. I just did a google search and it said "The reformer-based group Pilates classes are complemented by TriggerPoint, TRX® springboard, EXO-chair and other equipment designed to build strength, mobility and stability." That sounds like a great class! I hope you go so you can tell us about it.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, the Pilates class sounds like it could be fun!

Paine, once you do move, you will be glad to have your kitchen all set up and organized.

I have my week to post from 1/1 on; I'm doing the New Year yoga sadhana again this year.

Wednesday
Yoga class with live music with Molly

Thursday
recumbent bike, 25 mins
Daily Movement Multivitamin - floor
Flow yoga class with Nicole
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Friday
30MTF Kickbox - Kick mix
Power Yoga for Happiness - Shoulder High

Saturday
Mind, Body, & Brew yoga class (practiced half/taught half)

Sunday
30MTF Body Design - Bootcamp & Upper Body premix
Yoga with Tim (YT) - Full Body Yoga Workout Challenge, Day 4

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 06:20 PM  
cyana

Today:
MFML - I did the first four segments in the Tune In Tune Up series with Andrea Kwiatkowski (Jivamukti and yin instructor)
Warm Up - Sun Salutations (not long and wasn't too wristy)
The Sacral Center
The Root Center
The Solar Plexus

I didn't remember having done the Root segment but couldn't find it until I'd already done the sacral center. Oh well, it appears world order was not disrupted by working my chakras out of order!

MFML - Mediation: Counting the Breath - Nikita Akilapa
YT - LWR - 4 Minute Standing Abs post 10.10.2019 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwKMmEQVRyY (this would be a good mid-day quickie - you need a yoga strap, belt, etc.)

Sandra - If you try out Club Pilates, you'll have to give us the scoop. I do miss my yoga friends from the studio - hopefully I'll get back to take some classes soon. Unfortunately there aren't many outside of my working hours at this point.

Paine - I've only been to one live Pilates class - at my former yoga studio. The instructor said I had good energy and couldn't believe I smiled the whole class - little did she know my smile was to keep me from crying while my legs were about to burst into flames, LOL!!!

Beth - I haven't had live music at a yoga class since I went to the YJ conference however many years ago. It's a nice touch.

Carolyn - I'm definitely in for a Boxing Day boxing work-out. Kudos to you for entertaining that many people.

Has anyone seen Gayle recently? Hope all is well.

And I hope Garrie isn't buried under a pile of books at the book store since it's that time of year!

Waves to Anny and Linda (hope you're feeling better).

Old 01-05-20, 06:46 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I like that short Standing Abs workout you posted a link to so I bookmarked it--thanks!
I laughed at your description of the pilates class you took, so funny! I know pilates can get really tough.
I hope Gayle is doing good. I miss hearing from her.

Is anyone else besides me going to watch the Golden Globes?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 09:10 PM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

Today's Workout: Essentrics Barre (the whole routine). Earlier today I got in a long outdoor walk (probably about 3 miles).

The Club Pilates franchise I saw is still under construction, so I'll check the progress each time I hit Trader Joe's a few doors down.

Waving to all -- hope everyone has a great start to their week!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 05:55 AM  
Anny

Paine I saw that the film 1917 won an award at the Golden Globes. It was already on my ‘to see’ list but reading about the award has intrigued me even more.

cyana thanks for the start. I am a big fan of cashew butter or spread, I am allergic to peanuts so the cashew spread is a good sub for peanut butter for me.

Sandra the Club Pilates sounds cool. Let us know if you go! I have two Pilates studios within a 5 and 8 minute walk from my home and I have never attended a class or session! I keep saying I will.

Beth do you have a plan for your yoga sadhana or are you just doing what you feel like, in addition to the classes you teach?

This morning before work I did Week One from Leslie’s Get Up and Walk from YouTube, with light weights. After work tonight I did a 15 minute Wind Down practice from YWA.