Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-09, 10:18 PM  
Genevieve M

exercise during radiation

Hi Kids,

Well, I now belong to that very exclusive club of cancer patients. Was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma, stage 1, last week. This was discovered during a routine mammogram. So early detection does work!!! I am very lucky.

I will be having a lumpectomy next week, and 6 weeks of radiation. For the initiated, what was your experience with energy level during radiation? Were you able to work out? How long after did it take to get back to normal?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:52 PM  
RedPanda

I have no advice, just sending best wishes your way.
Old 08-14-09, 12:01 AM  
ilovemybirds

I don't have any advice either, but I'm also sending best wishes your way. My younger sister (age 30) was diagnosed with, I think, stage 2 ductal carcinoma three years ago. She doesn't do any exercising, other than walking sometimes. Anyway, I think she was extra tired during her radiation treatments.
I wish I could be of more help to you. I hope your treatments get rid of the cancer right away.

Edited to add: I'm guessing that exercising during radiation is probably the best thing in the world for you -- as long as your oncologist says it's okay. I can imagine it would help keep your energy levels higher.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 12:52 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Also sending you best wishes - I'll be thinking of you.

If you're interested in guided imagery, I have several from Belleruth Naparstek (not the cancer one, though) & I like her a lot:
http://healthjourneys.com/index.asp
My father used one just before & after his heart surgery, & he liked it, too.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 01:29 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm also sending best wishes your way. I would definitely discuss this with your doctor. So many women exercise these days that I'm sure this topic has come up before.
Old 08-14-09, 04:42 AM  
LAC

Hi Genevieve - sending best wishes your way for recovery & remission! There are a few of us BC survivors here, so hopefully one of our "sisters" will be able to chime in and share her experience. My treatment protocol was different than what you are looking at, so I can't answer your question. What I will tell you is: be kind to yourself, do what you can manage and try not to stress over the rest!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 10:24 AM  
laurajhawk

Best wishes and healing energy for you, Genevieve. So glad you found it early!

A coworker of mine had radiation treatment a couple of years ago and it did really sap her energy levels during the treatment. She works at a desk, but was only able to work half-time because she had very low energy and needed long naps. She also had some irritation at the site; you may be wanting to wear loose clothes. I think you'd want to think along the lines of gentle yoga and walking workouts, maybe done early in the day so they can boost your energy for the day (instead of trying to do them when you're already tired). Of course, your mileage may vary, talk to your doctor. On a superficial level, my coworker's treatment protocol seemed similar to yours.

The good news is, I think you'll feel normal again very shortly after the end of the actual radiation treatments.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 11:03 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

No advice here, but I wanted to let you know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless! *hugs*
Old 08-14-09, 11:13 AM  
cmarsh4

Hi,

First of all best wishes. I am a BC survivor but I had a double masectomy and no radiation so I cant anwer your question but I do want to say that I did keep up on my walking and gentle exercise through my treatment and it was a godsend. I think you should ask your doctor but I think you should do gentle exercise as tolerated but listen to your body and rest when you need to. Good luck, my prayers are with you.

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 11:22 AM  
sherry7899

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to send some hugs and prayers to you

Please take care,
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer