Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-09, 06:19 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm feeling bad right now. I need some cyber hugs

I’m feeling awful right now

My dad called to tell me about a traumatic experience he had on Friday.

First, a little background about what lead to Friday’s incident. A couple of years ago I discovered this great field about a mile from my parents home. It has a utility road that makes a loop around the field and it’s a great place to let their boxer, Kona, run free to get some exercise. The only time I keep her on her leash is if there were other people out there with their dogs, but it was rare to see anyone out there.

While on vacation this past spring I ran Kona out there almost every day. This went on for almost six weeks. The night before I left, I told my dad to continue taking Kona out there. He could drive his truck and park it right in front of the barriers that blocked cars from going into the field.

Even though it wasn’t a daily event, he did start taking Kona out there on occasion and this past Friday was one of those occasions. When they first arrived, there was a couple who dad had seen a few times with their two dogs, so dad waited in the truck with Kona as they headed up a steep hill towards the softball field. He then put Kona on her lead and headed out into the fields. They were the only ones out there. As he was turning the loop at the end of the road, he looked in the distance and saw a person with two pit bulls. He had just let one of them off its leash and the dog started making a straight line for my dad and Kona. Dad yelled out and asked the guy if his dog bites and as the guy yelled back, “yes!” the pit bull started attacking Kona. Dad always carries a golf club with him and he instinctively started hitting the dog to get it off of Kona all the while still holding onto to Kona’s leash. At this point dad was knocked to the ground and hit his head on a rock. Dizzy from the blow to his head dad was helpless at this point and was preparing for the worst. Right then, the two dogs that dad thought had left came up and started attacking the PIT BULL. This freed Kona up.

As dad was getting to his feet, the people who owned the two dogs arrived and helped dad to his feet. The husband then went towards his dogs and the pit bull and the pit bull’s owner to try and get them apart and another person who saw the whole incident came running to help, too. The lady told my dad that their dogs took off on them, thus them not being on a leash, which wasn’t the norm for their dogs. However, as my dad told them, their two dogs saved him and Kona from severe injuries. She helped my dad to his truck and dad took off to the vets. Kona sustained numerous bites, one puncture wound deep enough to require stitches. Dad went to ER and after two hours at ER they gave him the green light. No concussion!

Then dad said something that just made me cry. He said that he thanked God that it was he and not I that was attacked, because he carries a golf club! Oh dear lord, my dad is 74 years old with PT so bad it can only walk short distances. Even though I don’t carry a golf club, I would have given anything to spare my dad from having to go through this ordeal.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:26 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

How horrible! Sending you, your father and Kona big hugs!

Did anything happen to the pit bull and his owner?
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:26 PM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Oh Debbie that sounds so awful. Thank goodness they are both OK but I can imagine how upset you are! (((Debbie)))
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:27 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

((((((Hugs))))))

Debbie - That is a good reason to be sad. But your dad was right. It was good that he was there and had his golf club. He did all the right things and it seems that everyone is going to be ok. So thank goodness for the small miracles. I was glad to read that your dad went to get checked out and that there was no head injury.

I have to say that it makes me mad that the fellow let a dog that bites off its lead. I don't know if there's anything they can do about that but I hope they will do something if they can. What if that guy had let the dog loose around a small child, or you without any protection?

Anyway - you have my cyberhugs and I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes to your dad and Kona.

Nat
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:28 PM  
RedPanda

((((Debbie))))

What a horrible ordeal for your Dad and Kona. As I was reading the story, I had the feeling that the ending was going to be a lot worse. Thank God your Dad and Kona are OK - that's the main thing.

Your Dad sounds like a very brave guy.

I'm sure Fatso will be happy to give you some extra cuddles.
Old 07-06-09, 06:29 PM  
LAC

(((Cyber Hugs))) I'm so glad that your Dad and his dog will be all right! This could very easily have ended very, very badly . Smart thinking taking a golf club with him and lucky that there were other people & dogs about to intervene! People who have dogs that bite have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS taking them out of their yard without a muzzle or letting them off their lead
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:30 PM  
Snuckles

{{{hugs}}} to you Debbie and your Father. I'm sorry but I just can't bare to read your message right now as I really don't need to hear about anything sad right now but wanted to give you {{{hugs}}}
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:31 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

OMG, {{{{{{{DEBBIE}}}}}}!!! What a horrifying story. Thank goodness it didn't turn out at bad as it could have.

But I don't get this: If the pitbull owner knows his dog bites, why on earth did he let him off the leash??? (rhetorical question).

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:32 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Debbie,

So sorry your Dad was in a situation like this, but at least he's alive to be able to tell the tale!

Wish your Dad and Kona a speedy recovery! Your Dad sounds like a great guy, and loving father!

Hugs to you!

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:35 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Oh my! {{{{Debbie}}}} I'm so glad to hear your dad and Kona survived the experience. I hope they recover soon!

People who can't take responsibility for their dogs really make me infuriated.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote