Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-09, 06:38 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

When did you start to notice you were getting old?

I've been working out at home with exercise videos since 1986, but it seems like in the past couple of years, I'm finding I have limits I never had before. I find burpees extremely difficult to do, or really anything that requires me getting up and down from the floor quickly. Pushups keep getting harder instead of easier. Tuck jumps are insanely hard now. I've given up on lunges. My feet start too hurt after too much cardio. I'm grateful for all I can do, but man... little by little, it just GOES!

Donna K
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 06:55 PM  
mtngoat

I started working out at home around 1986 as well (Jane Fonda, the FIRM classics). I am 52, and would say that I also have noticed changes in the last two years.

I haven't noticed too much decline in my strength or aerobic capacity. However, I am starting to get little injuries, aches & pains that never used to occur. My body is no longer forgiving of slips in form.

I am sure that I am better off than if I had never exercised.

As the decline progresses, I wonder if the changes will be more noticeable to me (and other exercisers) because they will be so quantifiable? The average person may not know that they can no longer lift as much as they used to, or that they are no longer able to do the advanced level of a workout.

Lori

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 07:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm still in denial.

1. when i turn down the volume on my music player - it's still enjoyable and will save my eardrums
2. when i load up on sunscreen, moisturizer, etc. on my skin
3. when i use vaseline as moisturizer on my knees and ankles
4. when my sons get excited over the 30+ year old song Bohemian Rhapsody

...and many more instances.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 07:51 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Me too! Jane Fonda -- the LP! -- and then FIRM classics, one at a time. It's interesting to note these changes because my mother, who is 81, and was always a fairly active person, though she didn't really exercise per se, can barely lift anything (she lifts a gallon of milk with two hands) and is unable to hop on one foot (my daughters were appalled that she could not play hopscotch). Many elderly people can't even raise their arms all the way over their heads, or even reach over from a sitting position to put their shoes on. It's just a case of doing these things less and less and less and suddenly not being able to do them at all. On the flip side, I fell down the stairs in October and suffered a shoulder sprain that resulted in frozen shoulder. Today, it's almost completely back to my full range of motion with only minor twinging. I am convinced this is from just plugging through my workouts to the best of my ability and focusing on a lot of functional moves. Gradually, I realized that my ROM was increasing and there was less pain. If I were not an exerciser, and had no idea what to do, I would have undergone very painful invasive procedures followed by painful physical therapy. Not sure how that fits in to all this, but I guess it's about keeping the lack of use injures/limitations at bay as much as possible!

Donna K
Old 06-18-09, 07:54 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

DH and I think we crossed the line when we suddenly started finding "Everybody Loves Raymond" to be funny--we didn't get it for the longest time.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 08:10 PM  
momof10

I joined my first gym in 1975 - I did start working out at home, too in the 1980's. My first workout at home was also Jane Fonda's album. It had two albums with a separate picture book that showed you what exercises to do. That is too funny. I remember mine got left in the car for too long and it got warped. I did buy another one, though.

I, too have noticed, that doing the up and down movements, such as burpees is harder for me. I am 53 - and aches stay with me longer than they used to that is for sure. My aerobic capacity and strength training keeps getting better though.

Balance is something that I work on alot while working out. I do know that many elderly people cannot balance very well.

I will just keep doing what I can and not give up!

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 08:57 PM  
hotncmom

I'm 40 and I have trouble with burpees! I just did Jillian's BFBM and it had some of those and I can't go very far in. Is there an alternate move I can do that's lower impact?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 09:04 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I'm 40 and I have trouble with burpees! I just did Jillian's BFBM and it had some of those and I can't go very far in. Is there an alternate move I can do that's lower impact?
Try doing them with your step. Not having to put your hands all the way down to the floor makes them much more doable. A totally low impact alternative is to quickly extend one leg at at time, and then bring them back in. Or, just substitute mountain climbers (which I also find VERY hard now; it's like my legs have gotten heavier!).

Donna K
Old 06-18-09, 09:15 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Old? You youngsters are not old! I'll bet you don't even qualify for the senior discount anywhere. I started out with Joanie Greggains' Morning Stretch TV show, Esquire Great Body tapes with Deborah Crocker, the original Firm, Jane Fonda's VHS...

About 10 years ago, I stopped doing high impact moves except on the rebounder. There may be other things I've stopped doing, but, you know, memory loss has kicked in!

I'm 62.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 09:46 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I'm 40. My definition of getting old is 'not being able to do now, what you used to do with ease"

My mother mentioned that was making me a scrapbook of the time she and my dad had taken me to the Botanical gardens in early spring. I looked at her like she was crazy because I didn't remember this trip at all! {I finally did, phew!} But we were there for several hours, walking around looking at tags, reading plaques, taking pictures!! It was only three months ago!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote