Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-19, 10:37 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I got the second shot yesterday and had a fever most of last night. I'm not very energetic today but maybe I'll feel better later. The pharmacy at my supermarket in northwest VA has never had a shortage.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-19, 08:58 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

I had my second shingrix vaccination two weeks ago, it was nothing like my uneventful first shot.
I had the chills, upset stomach and low on energy for a few days.
The vaccination was in short supply, I had to call my physicians office and wait for them to make sure it was available in the office.
Thankful I was able to receive both doses.
Now if my booty kicker order would ship I’ll be a happy camper
Beth
Old 12-15-19, 01:42 PM  
Hilary

I remember reading this thread before getting my shots and absolutely dreading them ... my hairdressers also thought they were awful. My experience was that the first shot, which I had in the morning, caused a lot of soreness but nothing else major. I got my Hep A and Shingrix on the same day, and the Hep A felt worse during the injection, but the Shingrix arm was sorer and the pain lasted longer.

The second dose of Shingrix I got in the early evening and I was thinking smugly to myself for a few hours later, "This doesn't hurt at all." I almost forgot I'd gotten the shot. I was crediting that to the foresight of taking some ibuprofen beforehand. Well, I woke up in the middle of the night shaking like a leaf with chills. And when I tried to get up in the morning, I had waves of nausea. It was the first time for a very long time that I literally couldn't get out of bed. After a few hours more sleep, the symptoms lessened and I was fine.

Still glad I got both shots (better than shingles, as everyone has said!) ... also very glad I'm over and done with them!
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 08:29 PM  
meg39

I got my flu shot and first Shingrex shots on Friday. Saturday morning I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck - nausea, headache, chills and my body ached all over. I pretty much spent the day in bed and on the couch but by dinnertime I felt much better. Today I felt great - raked leaves and took a long walk. So - when I get the 2nd shot I will plan to get it on a day when I have nothing to do the following day!
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 01:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Finally had the Shingrix shot...

I started this thread on 6-30-2018! I finally had the first shot yesterday afternoon. Other than a mildly sore arm, I've not really had any ill effects.

I pre-dosed with ibuprofen about an hour before the shot. When I got home, I rubbed arnica cream on the injection site. I put arnica on again before bed and this morning. I had some lidocaine cream just in case, but haven't needed it. (Thanks, VFers, for the tips!)

I did wake up in the middle of the night with a big flare-up of a chronic pain issue, but I can't imagine the two would be related.

Anyway, one down and another to go in a few months.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 02:08 PM  
desderata

I had my second vaccine last week. After the first vaccine, my arm was sore around the injection site for a couple of days. The nurse at my doctor’s said they had two patients who had significant and lasting arm pain after the second dose, so the office now gives the second injection in the other arm.
This time my arm and shoulder became very sore 3 hours post vaccine and stayed sore for 3 days. I was strangely tired the day after, but other than that, no problems. Glad I was able to get it - I was on a waiting list for 18 Months.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 02:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I finally heard from the pharmacy! I get my first shot next Thursday.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 02:16 PM  
margaux

Just an update and encouragement to get the Shintrix vaccine. I had received the old Shingles shot but developed a bad case of Shingles while on a wait list for the new vaccine. The burning pain lasted 2 1/2 months. I was on pretty strong narcotics all that time, which only took the edge off. But it finally subsided and I am now pain free. I will get the Shintrix vaccine as soon as dr gives the ok. Any discomfort from the injection is worth avoiding Shingles! I understand some unlucky people have lingering pain the rest of their lives.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 02:30 PM  
desderata

Margaux, so glad you are feeling better!

Quote:
I understand some unlucky people have lingering pain the rest of their lives.
That was my dad. He lived over 20 years after he had shingles, and had pain until the end.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 03:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my name came up for shot #1 on 12/29, and I asked to take the shot on 12/30 since I knew I was going to be off from work on 12/31-1/1. friends of mine mentioned how ill they felt the following day, so in case I reacted the same, I scheduled it accordingly. good thing.

in addition to the arm soreness, I had "off and on" fatigue and body aches! the arm soreness lasted for 5 days.

I was on Walmart's wait list for roughly 6-7 months.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax