Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-20, 01:13 PM  
darbyndoug

Total Ankle Replacement...any VFers had one?

Looks like I will eventually have to have a total ankle replacement, so was wondering if any VFers have had one. If so, how was recovery? And were you able to resume any workouts that you had to give up prior to the replacement?

Thanks for any responses!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 07:26 PM  
pgun3

I didn't know that they did those....why do you have to have one? wore out from too much working out?
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 10:03 AM  
MARIKA

I work in a sports medicine clinic and I never heard of a total ankle replacement.
Old 01-19-20, 12:22 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I don't know anything about it, but want to wish you the best of luck with it.

When I've had my foot surgeries I always requested a temporary handicapped permit, just a suggestion.

PS - I bought one of these - it's tight to get on, so it would depend on the size of your dressing, but it's really water tight for showers: cast protector

PPS - and these for taking sponge baths until I felt ready to stand in the shower again: body wipes - very effective and you can put them in the microwave.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 01:35 PM  
anetta

I have not heard of this either, but I am sending thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 02:17 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I may be a candidate for one, but have been putting even the mention of it off for as long as possible - car door blew shut on my ankle years ago and I have almost no cartiliage on the outside of my left ankle - painful to walk, etc. I understand you have to be non-weight-bearing for quite a while afterwards.

I had a nurse once who had one and said it was a life-saver for her.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 07:01 AM  
darbyndoug

Thanks for all your replies and support. Yes, they do total ankle replacements now, and I was told about it by a doctor at HSS (Hospital for Special Surgery) here in NYC . (I'm bone on bone in my ankle now, due to a bad break with surgery, including pins and screws, about 30 years ago.)

Carol, I've been hoping to put it off to see if anything less invasive comes along, but don't know how much longer I can wait, particularly since NYC is truly a walking city.

Pat, thanks for the tips!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 08:36 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyndoug View Post
Thanks for all your replies and support. Yes, they do total ankle replacements now, and I was told about it by a doctor at HSS (Hospital for Special Surgery) here in NYC . (I'm bone on bone in my ankle now, due to a bad break with surgery, including pins and screws, about 30 years ago.)

Carol, I've been hoping to put it off to see if anything less invasive comes along, but don't know how much longer I can wait, particularly since NYC is truly a walking city.

Pat, thanks for the tips!
Bless your heart! I hope it goes well if you have it done. I truly feel your pain, but at least I don't live in such a walking city.

I remember reading this article a couple of years ago and I thought it was informative: https://www.arthritis-advisor.com/is...ce_1349-1.html

Carol
Old 01-21-20, 12:01 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I may be a candidate for one, but have been putting even the mention of it off for as long as possible - car door blew shut on my ankle years ago and I have almost no cartiliage on the outside of my left ankle - painful to walk, etc. I understand you have to be non-weight-bearing for quite a while afterwards.

I had a nurse once who had one and said it was a life-saver for her.

Carol

Oh Carol, I knew you had to take it easy but didn't know why. And reading this just made me wince and jaw drop. I'm so sorry...to hear this for you and for darbyndoug

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 07:26 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Oh Carol, I knew you had to take it easy but didn't know why. And reading this just made me wince and jaw drop. I'm so sorry...to hear this for you and for darbyndoug
Yes ma'am - the TX Panhandle wind got me one day on the west side of town, and I've literally never been the same since. Funny this subject should come up, one of the ladies in my evening Bible study class last night was talking about someone she knew who had just had an ankle replacement done.

Carol

Tags
ankle, ankle replacement, broken ankle, joint replacement, surgery