Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-20, 10:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Cataract surgery recovery

I'll be having cataract surgery one one eye soon. I'm very comfortable with the surgeon and actually looking forward to it.

Has anyone here had cataract surgery, and how long was your recovery?

How long before you felt comfortable looking at a screen of any kind? The doctor said I'll be perfectly fine the next day and could go back to work after one day off. I've had several surgeries and in each case the doctor wrongly promised a very short recovery time, so I'm not inclined to 100% take his word for it.

I sit in front of a computer screen all day at work and want to plan my time out intelligently.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 11:15 AM  
sciencelady

I think there's exercise restrictions after the surgery also for the first week or so.... I haven't had this surgery yet to have specific details.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 11:23 AM  
BunnyHop

It's been a good many years since my dad had those surgeries, but I do remember that he wasn't supposed to do things like bend over and pick things up off the floor for a few days. I guess that certain sorts of movements might affect the pressure in your eyes and they just want you to be careful.

I'd definitely take some time to just be quiet and heal but I can't recall the time frame.

Do you have some wrap around sunglasses? They might come in handy. I never much like the cheapo ones you get from the eye doctor.
Old 01-14-20, 12:06 PM  
alisoncooks

DH had cataract surgery (both eyes, a few weeks apart) this past autumn. They told him to try and sleep off the first day (because of the anesthesia and to give the eye a break). There were restrictions - no exercise for a week, no yard work for a month.

DH also had a difficult time finding the correct vision correction afterwards (he needed readers but still *some* other correction) so that affected what he could do comfortably. Also eye drops were required on a specific schedule. I don't remember how quickly he went back to work (his job is flexible and things can be done at home) but I do think it was longer than what you've been told. (He probably could have but was glad to have a cushion of a few days.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 01:48 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
DH had cataract surgery (both eyes, a few weeks apart) this past autumn. They told him to try and sleep off the first day (because of the anesthesia and to give the eye a break). There were restrictions - no exercise for a week, no yard work for a month.

DH also had a difficult time finding the correct vision correction afterwards (he needed readers but still *some* other correction) so that affected what he could do comfortably. Also eye drops were required on a specific schedule. I don't remember how quickly he went back to work (his job is flexible and things can be done at home) but I do think it was longer than what you've been told. (He probably could have but was glad to have a cushion of a few days.)
Thank you Alison. I will take the full week off following the surgery based on that.

My eye doctor made it sound like I'll be reading Encyclopedia Britannica the next day. I knew he was "selling it up." When I had my foot surgery the doctor told me I would be up and walking around in the boot the next day!

He won't be giving me anesthesia, he called it "a sedative" and I'll be awake but won't care. That part does not thrill me.

Thank you everyone. Bunnyhop - good idea about the wraparound sun glasses, I hadn't thought of that.
Old 01-14-20, 02:08 PM  
jusca

one day? I've had doctors grossly underestimate the recovery time for minor injuries and healing time. I say plan for a few days rest after a surgery. That sounds more reasonable and realistic.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 02:29 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you Alison. I will take the full week off following the surgery based on that.

My eye doctor made it sound like I'll be reading Encyclopedia Britannica the next day. I knew he was "selling it up." When I had my foot surgery the doctor told me I would be up and walking around in the boot the next day!

He won't be giving me anesthesia, he called it "a sedative" and I'll be awake but won't care. That part does not thrill me.

Thank you everyone. Bunnyhop - good idea about the wraparound sun glasses, I hadn't thought of that.
DH was awake -- probably that same sort of sedative. He remembers seeing a light and a few things the doctor said but that's it. Make sure you have someone to drive you home when you're finished. DH had no problem taking a good nap afterwards (but then again, this man can sleep anywhere...)

DH was sent home with some big sunglasses (similar to the flimsy ones for dilating eyes but more heavy duty). More like actual glasses.

It's also helpful if you have someone who can help with the eye drops (not necessary but helpful).

DH did say that his vision was shockingly improved the next day (compared to how it was with the cataracts).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 02:33 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Hi Pat! My mom had cataract surgery in both eyes (done separately) when she was in her 70's or 80's. Both procedures were very easy for her with no complications and she was a woman with a very low pain threshold and also she was a big chicken about medical procedures too! Immediately after she had her first eye done, she was so impressed with the results that she wanted to get her other eye done as soon as possible! She didn't have anesthesia, just a sedative as you will be having. I hope you have an easy time like she did.

Like Alison's DH, my mom's vision was improved right after the procedure. Pamper yourself and take it easy for the week after your procedure. I wish you all the best!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 04:21 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you Paine!
Old 01-14-20, 04:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had cataract surgery on both eyes last summer and I don’t remember waiting any time before looking at a screen. In fact, I texted a few people on the way home. There was a bit of an exercise restriction, although I started my outside walks back up the next day, I think. The restriction involves not lowering your head below your waist or something. You're supposed to keep your blood pressure low.

The sedative is one of those amnesia drugs, where you’re actually awake during the procedure so you can stare at the light, but most people remember absolutely nothing afterward. It is an IV, though. Many people remember more from their second surgery, but I remembered nothing. Both surgeries were a piece of cake. Just drops before and after.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataracts, cataracts and exercise, surgery