Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-09, 06:51 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The thing that doesn't make sense about it to me is that the brain has a LOT of fat in it! The nerves are all WRAPPED in it. It functions as insulation for the nerves and if they weren't insulated we wouldn't even HAVE the ability to have a functional brain with coordinated activity. One of the key things that happens in Alzheimers is demyelinization (myelin is "brain fat").

Obviously myelin is a very specific, high cholesterol fat and is not to be confused with body fat; but I can't imagine that obesity would really have much to do with brain degeneration given that the brain is SO fatty an organ itself to begin with.

It does seem, though, that a lack of physical activity can have very negative consequences on the brain (according to Ratey's book, anyway, and some other things I've read as well, Dr. Daniel Amen's books for example). So I'm guessing that the obesity was secondary; that it is coincidental rather than causally related to the degeneration. The degeneration and the obesity were probably both effects of a more basic cause, which was inactivity. At least that's my educated guess.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 06:55 AM  
Eibhinn

I avoided reading this thread at first because it looked "degenerate," and ridiculous to me, but now I'm glad that I've read it. As someone who apparently should have severe brain degeneration, yet rather is working toward their Phd, all the positivity in this thread (and the JK Rowling link) have given me a much nicer start to my day than expected. Also, thanks for all of the information about early morning exercise and brain function, which I hadn't heard before. I'm not a morning person at all, and often fairly foggy the first part of the day, but that might be just the motivation I need to develop the habit of exercising first thing in the morning rather than later in the day -- which I've been intending to do for quite awhile.
Big cheers, hugs, and congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to educate themselves, and also to those who have chosen to stay friendly, positive and non-judgemental in a not-always-nice world.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 07:12 AM  
ldy_solana

Eibhinn i just started work again after a 3 month break and i have to get up pretty early so its hard to get motivated for cardio or weights so i choose "barefoot" workouts like yoga,pilates,barre and yoga booty ballet.i also keep them short under an hour. formal exercise will come later in the day when i am more awake. i find they have been great to start the day and i am not worn out at the end of my shift(on my feet and moving). i am not sure how your schedule fits but i would so highly suggest this b/c its still activity but they aren't taxing on the mind or body so early.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 08:18 AM  
behaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I honestly never understand the point of posting links to articles like these. (I apologize if that sounds rude, but it's how I feel) If you're a member here, that means you are exercising and trying to improve your health.
Yes, this.
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 08:57 AM  
roz

Now... I hope to find an article to link to on how fixation on weight leads to degeneration of mental health status...
Hope it is reversible!
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 09:01 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz View Post
now... I hope to find an article to link to on how fixation on weight leads to degeneration of mental health status...
Hope it is reversible!
rofl!!!

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 09:04 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
all the positivity in this thread (and the JK Rowling link) have given me a much nicer start to my day than expected. Also, thanks for all of the information about early morning exercise and brain function, which I hadn't heard before. I'm not a morning person at all, and often fairly foggy the first part of the day, but that might be just the motivation I need to develop the habit of exercising first thing in the morning rather than later in the day -- which I've been intending to do for quite awhile.
I tend to exercise later in the day as well. Since I'm having a lot of trouble with fogginess, I think I'll try to get in at least some Kundalini yoga first thing in the morning.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 10:13 AM  
cjo42a

My husband's grandmother lived to be 105. She was very alert until close to the end, and despite the fact that my son looked very much like her numerous older great-grandchildren, she never ONCE got his name wrong.

My husband (who is a behavioral neurologist) looked at her brain scans with several of his colleagues and it showed unbelievable loss of brain tissue.

There is so much we don't understand about aging and the brain. Nobody would ever have guessed she was functioning so well just looking at her films.

And - like my great aunt who was also a centenarian she was active almost until the end, a great walked and she lifted weights. Physical activity helps us in so many ways we don't understand.
Old 08-26-09, 10:30 AM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I avoided reading this thread at first because it looked "degenerate," and ridiculous to me, but now I'm glad that I've read it. As someone who apparently should have severe brain degeneration, yet rather is working toward their Phd, all the positivity in this thread (and the JK Rowling link) have given me a much nicer start to my day than expected. Also, thanks for all of the information about early morning exercise and brain function, which I hadn't heard before. I'm not a morning person at all, and often fairly foggy the first part of the day, but that might be just the motivation I need to develop the habit of exercising first thing in the morning rather than later in the day -- which I've been intending to do for quite awhile.
Big cheers, hugs, and congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to educate themselves, and also to those who have chosen to stay friendly, positive and non-judgemental in a not-always-nice world.
My daughter is a high school swimmer whose high school does not have a team. In order to prepare to swim High School sectionals, she swims with me, and because of her busy schedule, last year that often meant 5:30am in the morning. She is NOT a morning person, but after the initial shock of it, she started to like it because she started to do much better in her morning classes. I think it was a combination of the exercise, and also eating something after the swim, which normally she tumbles out of bed, barely having time to shower, much less eat.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 10:53 AM  
GeekyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH View Post
I tend to exercise later in the day as well. Since I'm having a lot of trouble with fogginess, I think I'll try to get in at least some Kundalini yoga first thing in the morning.
Me too! I have been talking myself into going back to working out first thing in the morning. I did that while I was in college - maybe that's part of how I did so well in college!
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote