daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 08:34 PM  
behaha

For me, running slowly helps a lot. I don't mind calling it jogging
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 12:48 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Running became enjoyable when I started to do it consistently and when I finally stopped running as though I had a goal in mind. I've run with some guy friends who played sports their whole lives, and they seem to lean forward a bit and run as though to a (the) goal. If it's all about arriving, you're less likely to enjoy it. So, part of it for me was realizing that I was going to be running for the next 45min and that running slightly faster was not going to make any real difference.
I also find running is enjoyable given certain external conditions (music, friends, running programs, good route, good weather), but those are hard to control.
Running for me is best when the route's not too hilly and I've got about 3.5 miles under my feet but still a ways to go. That's the golden moment for me.
Old 08-15-09, 05:46 PM  
momof2gr8kids

Running....give it time...at your own pace..then decide

Let me first say that I was the one in PE class who always finished last whenever we ran around the track...huffing and puffing...side stitches...I HATED running with a passion and if I never had to run another step in my life, it would have been too soon for me. That is the way I felt pretty much my entire life.

Then during High School, the guy I was dating joined the Army. He was an anomoly...he LOVED boot camp because of the physical training...he could run forever and do pushups and situps til the cows came home without puking. He came home from boot camp and would try to get me to run with him. In the name of love, I gave it the old college try...and again with the side stitches...couldn't breathe...I hated it but pretended I didn't...for about a week.

Fast forward about 20 years, and I tried the C25k program but didn't finish it because I got bored with treadmill running.

Then, something happened that changed it all. I signed up for the Team Challenge Program to run a 1/2 marathon. I knew it was a crazy idea when I did it, because I had struggled with running ALL my life, but I was doing this for my daughter, who was 4 years old and diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at the age of 3, and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 18 months. I was raising money for a cause that was near and dear to my heart, but more than that...I thought....if my dd can endure everything she has up to this point in her lifetime, I can figure this out and run 13.1 miles....that's a cake walk compared to what she faces daily!

But something else changed, too. My approach to running became more to enjoy the process of training. I alternated running with walking until I could finally run for longer and longer distances. I surprised myself almost daily with how much progress I was making by just stepping back and taking things more slowly. I knew if I ended up injured, I would be out of the race...and that's not something I saw as an option...so I took it careful to make sure I didn't get injured. I settled in to a final pattern of running 9 minutes, walking 1 minute that I stuck with right up through race day. And I finished the race in 2:57:22, (which included one long wait at the porta potties at mile 5 ) and was perfectly fine with me...this former NON-runner, in my first race ever! If you would have told me even 6 months prior that I'd be a 1/2 marathon finisher I would have laughed so hard I probably would have keeled over.

I love running today....not every minute of it....and if I have a break and have to start up again, it is VERY hard. I live in FL, and I don't like running when it's blistering hot outside, but I do it because I know that if I quit, I will just need to deal with coming back up the curve again, which is a lot worse than toughing it out in the heat. But I love how it makes me feel afterwards. I also love the feeling I have when I'm out on a run and I can just sort through things in my head...it's different than a walk....there's something about running that, because of the physical exertion and because of the cadence and the breathing and everything else, is very meditative. I also love training for and running races. Although my focus has been shorter (5k) races since the 1/2 marathon, it's fun to see if I can beat my time once in a while and to actually see that I'm making progress. Plus, I just like crossing the finish line...it makes me feel like the athlete I never was. I guess what I'm saying is that running has really grown on me over this past year that I've been a runner. So give it a chance....slow down....don't push too hard, and re-assess. If you really still hate it after awhile, move on...it's not for everyone...but you just might find that isn't the case.

If you get a chance, read some books by John Bingham. He has a good approach for beginning runners that I like. Running for Mortals and Marathoning for Mortals, and the Courage to Start are I believe a few of his books. Oh, and good music is a MUST for me as well!

I did it...I ran a 1/2 marathon!
ING Miami 1/2 Marathon
January 25, 2009
13.1 Miles for Team Challenge
in honor of my little girl & hero, age 4
to End Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis!
See my profile for my webpage link!
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 11:39 AM  
Breezy Trousers

When I added music. IPOD = running enjoyment.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I like run/walk intervals. Right now I run 10 min and walk 1 min and I do 3 - 5 repeats of that depending on the day. I started with running 3 min and walking 2. I have a watch with an interval timer on it. I prefer trail running or running on the beach. The surroundings are so beautiful, so much nicer than running where there is traffic. More than the running itself, I love being outdoors and enjoying the surroundings. I also love that it is so easy to do anywhere, anytime - you just need your runners and some workout clothes.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:07 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

For music, www.podrunner.com offers some steady-state mixes, and some interval mixes (for 5k, 8k or 10k training) that I've found useful training for fast walking.

The interval mixes include a warm-up and cooldown, and alternate faster intervals (gradually increasing in length over the course of the 10 week program) with 1-minute 'walking' recovery periods.

The best thing about them? They're FREE downloads!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:09 PM  
beth22

For me, running finally became enjoyable when I discovered iTreads. Without Grace's coaching, the music, and speed the guidelines, I'd be dreading running like I always used to. iTreads actually made me like (and become GOOD at!) running!

Edited to add: I'm almost solely an indoor treadmill runner (hence, the love of iTreads). HATE running outside. Always have, always will.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running