Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-09, 09:49 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

My first 5K...hmmm

I just got back from walking a 5K in a "Run for the Bagel" run/walk.

It was not as fun as the walk I did a couple of weeks ago, where I got to compete with some other peope who pushed me, all while following the rules and walking all the way, and I'm feeling a bit grumpy about it, here's why:

The time of the race was nearing (well, a race for the runners, for the walkers, it was just a 'participation' walk--this time, we were even more 2nd-class citizens than with the other 2-mile walk I did).

One of the organizers was announcing (over a not-very-strong megaphone) that 5K and 10K runners should get ready, and the 1 mile fun runners and 5k walkers should step aside and wait because they would start later (as was announced in the registration materials we had received, and as happens in pretty much every run/walk....doesn't it?).

At 7:30, the 5K and 10K runners started off, and I noticed a group of slow folks at the back pushing strollers and walking dogs, but I didn't pay much attention. I wondered about it a bit, but I quickly assumed they were going to start trotting/jogging/running later on in the course. (It was early, and I was concentrating on being near the starting line for when the walkers would gather).

Then I looked around, and saw there were only about 15 other people left with numbers on, and a good 1/3 of them children. I was waiting for the rest of the walkers I'd expected.

The dude with the bad megaphone (which was now easy to hear because there was no crowd!) announced that the 1-mile fun run participants should take their places. Then with the blast of some annoying horn, their race took off.

I looked around, and I was the only person left with a number on!

The dude with the megaphone had gone off to the side to do something (put something in a car?), and I called over to him to ask about the 5k walk. He said "You must the be only one who listened to me...everyone else started with the runners!".

The megaphone dude said I could go then, and he'd start me so it was 'official'.

I was at the start line, ready to set my Garmin to 'start' when he blew the horn (good thing I'd brought it, because my time by their folks manning the stopwatches wouldn't be accurate).

He said 'go' and blew the horn and I hit 'start' and took off at the same time.

When I rounded the first corner, I saw a small group of walkers about 3-4 blocks ahead of me. I decided that I'd catch up to them, walking all the way, and try to pass them and as many of the #!@&Y$% 'cheating' walkers as I could!

I was dead last, nearly 5 minutes and three-four blocks behind, but by the time I hit 1 mile, I had passed the first (or last) small group of walkers, and I was catching up to the next group. I kept passing more. (And I was a bit snarky about it, making sure that almost each group knew that they'd started early...but I'd passed them anyway!...Yep, not a way to make friends, but I was feeling ticked off. I've quickly developed a competitive mindset for these events, but it's only positive and feels good if the competition is fair and rules are followed. Obviously most of the other walkers were doing it just 'for fun,' so they weren't as concerned about the rules).

I was keeping a good pace (one 10K runner who passed me three blocks from the end said "you've got a great pace, keep it up!"), and finished the walk having walked the entire way (some people walk and 'trot'!) feeling good and energized (the annoyance I felt at everyone else starting too early fueled me with adrenaline!). I didn't pay much attention to what the guy with the stopwatch at the end said my time was (42 mn and some seconds?), because it was nearly 5 minutes off my real time! According to my Garmin, my 'real' time was 37:56, my best 5K speed so far, at least this year (I've done a couple of training walks timing that distance, and the fastest was 38:23).

I did stick around a bit to see the 5K runners' results posted, and it looks like I would have beaten 4 or 5 (I forget) runners if I'd done the 'run' instead of the walk! (I was thinking about sticking around to see the 5K walk results, to compare my 'real' time to the time of the few walkers I hadn't caught up to, and to see how many of them there were, but I'd also have to see my 'false' time posted, and that would make me feel grumpier.)

I got a lame ribbon for finishing (there was no 'placing' for the walkers: everyone who finished got a ribbon) and I wrote 'my' time on the number I'd worn on my shirt (for future reference), but it was still kind of an annoying experience, and makes me hesitant about doing other walks like this. (I know I'm not speedy enough for a real 'racewalk' race, but maybe those are the only ones that treat walkers seriously?)

I guess if I focus on my time (and on the fact that I'd passed almost all the walkers who'd started out nearly 5 minutes ahead of me!) it was a positive experience. Glass half-full, and all that, LOL!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 09:57 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Kathryn, that's too bad. I've only ever done one 5k run--I did "run" (more like a jog with a few walking breaks! ) and my time was 32:12, not very far under you walking times!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 10:33 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I enjoyed reading your report, it reminded me some of the real chaotic races I attended. Congratulations on your time, you are doing real well with your race walking. You didn't even get a T shirt just a ribbon???? Way to go!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 10:58 AM  
LAC

Seems like the event was run in a rather slipshod manner; I think I'd be p.o.'d too if something like that happened. Kudos however on achieving a personal best time!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 01:01 PM  
workoutqueen

Kathryn

It’s so funny you should post this today! I just finished my first 5K in 3 years and was beat by two race walkers despite the fact that runners were given a two minute head start! My husband was like "What's up with that?" My pace was about 9.17 so I finished in 28:44, not my best time but it is so hot and humid here in NY today. Plus my legs were very sore. (Okay, I'll stop with the excuses ). There is certainly an art to race walking, don't take it for granted! You can cover some serious territory. I even thought to myself, maybe I should have entered as a race walker, at least I would have won a prize!

Katrina
workoutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 01:34 PM  
KathAL79

Kathryn, congrats on your first 5K. Sorry it was so poorly managed, but good for you for doing so well in spite of it.

Katrina, congrats to you, too!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:57 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
You didn't even get a T shirt just a ribbon????
Oh, yeah, I forgot (but I consider my registration fee as having paid for that t-shirt!)

Old 07-19-09, 07:07 AM  
behaha

Kathryn, congratulations on your terrific time. Don't let the slipshod organization turn you off of future races; just assume this is the worst, and compare all other races to this one. I think you did great!
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 09:31 AM  
cmiyachi

Kathryn - were you walking or running? That's a very fast time for walking and a decent time for running (my son just ran a 35 minute 5k and he was running!). Congratulations on your time!

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 09:41 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiyachi View Post
Kathryn - were you walking or running? That's a very fast time for walking and a decent time for running (my son just ran a 35 minute 5k and he was running!).
Walking (why run slow when you can walk...really fast! )