Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-09, 07:27 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I now workout in either the living room or our family room, depends on where everyone is, what tv they're glued to and whether I need the vhs. (My old workout room is now a sort of storage room and the tv/dvd/vhs set up is dicey...think it's something with the cable connections.)

My family, including a SIL in the Army Reserves, doesn't pay much attention to me anymore, though DH loves to come in mess with me when I'm doing certain things. One thing he does NOT like is any jumping...claims it's not good for the supporting joists of our old (46 yo) house So no high impact stuff.

Since my last DEXA scan, which showed a 15% drop in BMD (but still in the normal range, just lower), they're all even more supportive...
Old 07-18-09, 07:46 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

When I'm home I'm nicely isolated -- I exercise in my studio, which is relatively private. The Squeeze can sometimes hear the sound if I'm using media and sometimes makes fun of what he hears, who can blame him there.

When we're traveling my routine faces greater challenges, among which is often having to use shared space. I've gotten used to it over time though and so has he. He thinks what I can do is amazing and that makes me happy. The other day I stopped him in his tracks with my handstands. He'd never seen me do one start-to-finish before. And I was thrilled that his presence didn't distract me.

I'm still self-conscious if there's a sound track -- prefer to use media before he gets up. If he's in the room I sometimes hear the sound track through his ears and that's sometimes dismaying -- I'm relatively careful in my choice of travel titles.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 09:36 AM  
ladybug79

My family is very supportive. They have learned not to talk to me while I am working out. I need to concentrate and I get very agitated very quickly. After being growled at a few times they now know to wait until I am done. DD is eight and has a nice little collection of her own My honey is eyeing P90X and kettlebells. No commitment so far but the interest is there so I patiently wait.
ladybug79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 11:34 AM  
Fidget Queen

I am so self-conscious about my DVD workouts! I work my schedule around the times when my SO will be out of the house. I even have the entire basement to myself. He knows not to come down when I am working out, but he can hear EVERYTHING from upstairs! I, too, hear the DVDs through his ears, and it's mortifying.

It's not like he doesn't work out, and to be honest, he is very supportive of anything I do. He is a yoga instructor, does yoga at home and at work, bikes, runs, etc. I think I'm traumatized, because when we first started dating, before I revealed my DVD obsession, he was going on and on about how stupid video workouts were He was talking specifically about yoga, but I love my yoga DVDs!

I have no problems when my parents, sister, or cousins watch me. My mom does them herself, so she is passing no judgment. My dad is fine, too. He just thinks that with as much as I work out, I should be the Hulk by now. He's disappointed when I can't lift furniture by myself and questions why I even bother!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 12:16 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
I am so self-conscious about my DVD workouts! I work my schedule around the times when my SO will be out of the house. He is a yoga instructor, does yoga at home and at work, bikes, runs, etc.
Lucky you! Why wouldn't you want free yoga lessons?

My boyfriend skis and competes on horseback but I am terrified of both activities, what with Chris Reeve and Natasha Richardson's fates flashing in my brain. We do go bike riding and hiking together. I think it's important for couples to have some shared activities.
Old 07-18-09, 01:21 PM  
behaha

Hilarious article and descriptions -- I love the Onion!
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 03:45 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaha View Post
Hilarious article and descriptions -- I love the Onion!
Me too Barb, I really enjoyed the laugh -- reminded me of some of The Squeeze\s descriptions of my routines.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 04:04 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
I'm still self-conscious if there's a sound track -- prefer to use media before he gets up.
Me too. I usually work out way before my hubby gets up, but often do yoga or Pilates after work and I know he's sitting in the next room snickering. He often sends up the instructors saying "IN-hale" and "EX-hale". The other day, he asked why I don't just inhale and exhale when I feel like it! I explained the whole breathing thing, but I could tell he wasn't listening.
Old 07-18-09, 04:10 PM  
MuscleGuy

Hmmm, I've never had this problem before, but my DD is coming to stay with me for all of August (when I'll be on the Insanity rotation). She'll probably think that the sight of her dad gasping and lying in a pool of sweat is hilarious!

MuscleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 09:01 PM  
GMonkey

My family and I work out a schedule. Usually I w/o in the finished bsmt but it's torn up from plumbing issues, so I've been working out in the main living room and I do it when either people have already left, or aren't up yet. I'm super self-conscious about exercising in front of people. My husband only made fun of me when he heard the ridiculous banter of YBB. I think that he mostly keeps it to himself because he's getting stomach-y and lovehandle-y from being a lazy butt for the last 2 years. Since I come from a very obese family, he has a very real example of how I would look if I didn't work out.
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote