Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-31-20, 07:26 PM  
Diana3271

Thumbs up June 2020 ~ Walk On & On ~ New Check-In Buddies Are Always Welcome!

What started as a Leslie walk challenge has morphed into a wide variety of workouts and lots of support and encouragement! Join us, if you're looking for a friendly check-in, that's not limited to one type of exercise!

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 05:49 AM  
Diana3271

Good Morning, Everyone!

Last night: Basic stretches
This morning: Oxycise

Have a Blessed day, stay healthy and a great start to your week!

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-01-20, 07:46 PM  
Diana3271

Hi Everyone!

Today we got a lot done and it was a nice day. I had to do the public sale with two trucks that we had done mechanics liens on. They are really old and not worth a lot. We will find someone to buy them for parts or whatever. I received the Magistrates paperwork for them and then went back home to see what DH had planned for the day. I had heard about donating blood and they would do a free COVID19 antibody test. The blood sample would be sent to the Medical University of SC. DH was interested in doing the blood donation because we were sick at the first of the year. He has never donated blood. One of the officers at the court was sick last November. Recently he went to his Dr and requested an antibody test and he tested positive for the antibodies. DH and I also discussed going to vote so we wouldn't have to deal with a crowd of people. So we made a plan, we went to donate blood, took the magistrates paperwork and got titles for both of the trucks and then went to vote. It was really nice because DH was with me to get everything done. I always have to do everything on my own because DH is always at the shop. Tomorrow my focus will be to get a lot of stuff filed away. I have a lot files out because of the work I had to do on Friday and today. I also need to close out my books for the month, balance bank statements, my usual monthly bookkeeping. I will be glad to get that stuff filed away. DH has busy with farm stuff and I have been busy getting things wrapped up. Today just felt good.

Check-In: 45 minute outdoor walk

Question: Do you feel bands/tubing causes the same amount of tension as weights do? It seems it would be the same. Any thoughts?

Have a Blessed evening!

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-01-20, 08:35 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Diana, thanks for starting our month! It sounds lovely to have your DH with you to get things done. I've always liked rubber band/tube resistance. I saw your GD post & someone's response, about tubing being used for rehab, reminded me of my "kneehab" sessions: strength work was bodyweight or resistance bands. Since your old injury acts up with weights, maybe you should go for the rehab vibe for anything that would involve or affect your neck. Also, last year I did a beachbody program of lifting (yay) and HIIT (boo) called LIIFT4. They had a modifier/"bandifier" for every lifting workout. Sometimes I followed them instead of using weights. Stephanie Huckabee says on her Powerfit workouts that she's in the best shape of her life. She also put out a resistance tube Weightwatchers workout. I don't care much for youtube workouts, but there are probbly a lot of them using rubber resistance.

Check-in: The Firm hi Def Sculpt express pre-mix, and day 4 of abs challenge.

Got to go primp a little for the San Jose choir's zoom meeting this evening.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:38 PM  
lynnf

barre 3 30 minutes, day 1 of upper body 7 day challenge; 10 minute kettlebells, day 1 of Lauren's 21 day challenge, 30 minutes walking with DH and yoga on my own following a book plus added headstand (do you all know I can do headstands?). Trying to get serious for June!

Diana, sounds like you did get a lot done! I've heard that tubes/bands work your muscles slightly differently than weights especially in terms of the eccentric contraction (when you are lowering), in which I've heard bands/tubes are more effective than just weights. But I am no expert here. It's interesting about the antibody tests, but I have heard that they are very unreliable, and one expert I heard said that the state of antibody tests is the "wild west." However, maybe the one at the University is more accurate. One problem is that the body produces two types of antibodies, short term ones, when you have the disease that go away and don't provide long term protection, called IGM antibodies, and longer term ones that give you longer term immunity called IGG antibodies, and apparently many of the tests don't even tell you which antibody they are testing for. So you don't know if the test is telling you if you are actively infected and producing IGM antibodies or had the virus and now protected by IGG antibodies. (I participated in a course on the pandemic and learned this from a public health expert's presentation. I would never know this on my own. My presentation was about the pandemic of the 14th century so I have no actual useful knowledge.)

Last edited by lynnf; 06-01-20 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
lynnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 10:36 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Lynn, I did not know of your headstand ability. I am impressed. I never did a headstand.
Old 06-02-20, 07:49 AM  
Diana3271

Good Morning, Everyone!

I went to bed a bit earlier than I have been and woke on my own this morning. I feel more rested, which is good.

Cynthia & Lynn Thank you for the info about bands/tubing. I have one of Stephanie Huckabee's sets that uses the bands. I need to take a look at it. I also tend to prefer very basic stuff and I think that's what it is.

Lynn Great information. We were just curious and it was a free test. I will share what we find out.

Last night: Sedentary stretch from Perfect in 10 Stretch
This morning: Oxycise

Have a Blessed day and stay healthy!

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-02-20, 08:34 AM  
seabliss

I've been really busy, but in a good way! Sunday I did walk outdoors and added lunges and walking indoors to reach 10k steps. Yesterday I did a newer Total Body Strength workout with Dumbells workout with Bodyfit by Amy and walked a mile.

We've been still listening to the music conference, and my song is almost done. I had to re-record/video my part because of the technical issues, but the mixing engineer says it sounds good now. He's sending it to me today and then I will put the video together and put it online.

Diana, sounds like a wonderful day. Glad you and your DH got to be together like this. It's the beginning of many more days like this! I like to use bands/tubing for legwork. One that I like is the one that velcros around your ankles, and then just the simple movement of pulling your legs from side to side away from each other really fatiques the muscles.

Lynn, I hope they come up with a solid antibody test. Congratulations to your DS and I'm glad you got to participate in at least some sort of ceremony! I know schools are doing their best. Love that you did a headstand. I was teaching them to DD a few weeks back. I wasn't sure if I could still do one and it turned out to be fine. Like riding a bike!

Cynthia, will it be indefinite before you get a real choir meeting again?

Cheryl
Old 06-02-20, 09:53 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Cheryl, I love learning about your creative process and look forward to your new song.
My San Jose choir stopped rehearsals before the quarantine orders. One of the basses has a cousin in Washington state. Their choir decided to keep rehearsing, but no hugs or handshaking. A lot of them got sick with the virus. Last night at the zoom, the Director said that next week he and the Board would discuss options for the future. As far as we know, no one in the choir has gotten sick. A lot of us are retired or close to retirement age. I'll be interested to learn what they decide next week. We miss singing and being with one another, but.

Diana, which Powerfit set do you have? The 5-DVD original or the bigger one, Powerfit Harmony? They are nice & basic and 20 minutes. I still have mine and have done rotations. I think Lynn has, also. The rotations are here on VF.

Back later.
Old 06-02-20, 09:59 AM  
Diana3271

Cynthia I have Powerfit Harmony and Powerfit Plus. Which would be better for me? I can also try to get Powerfit or the Weight Watchers one. I need to look that one up, maybe I have it.

ETA: I do not have Powerfit or the Weight Watchers workout

LM Combat 02/13

Diana