Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-31-20, 07:21 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - In the Midst of Chaos, Go for Strength and Peace Within. May 31.

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 07:40 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a hard time to come up with a theme. I started out with a quote by Deepak Chopra I didn't really like and majorly changed it, so it's more of a Laura Staley quote.

In better news, the sun is supposed to come out today and the high humidity has dropped. Woo hoo! I have some stuff I want to get done today like changing the sheets on the bed and cooking for DH. And, I want to get outside some.

Dede - Ugh. It sounds like a big waste of time. That would have driven me crazy... I hope you can get it all sorted out. There are certain things that our WF runs out of periodically, but they generally have quite a bit. I'm sorry yours is so decimated. Of course, we go there for very specific gluten-free and/or dairy-free things that DH eats. Those items have been more in-stock from the beginning of all of this in multiple stores. People haven't gone out to hoard them.

Paula - It will be interesting to hear how your appointments go. This past week, I just put off a full-body scan of moles at the dermatologist. I had a mole turn cancerous 15 or more years ago and have had these scans ever since with no problems. I figure I can go a few extra months given we are having a lot of cases. And, they turned my rheumatologist appointment into a telehealth session. Should be interesting to see how he handles that. My worst joints are always my hands, so I can show him those via video.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-31-20, 09:16 AM  
sciencelady

Thank you for getting us started this week, Laura! I like your quote!

I got up relatively late as there were lots of sirens and speeding cars going past my house on a main road half a block away all night. Sounds like another business in my area got burned last night . All is nice and quiet on our block this morning - the birds are happily singing and the sun is shining brightly. However, the city had another rough night - I think better than the night before as LOTS more police, National Guard and military personnel were out on the streets. Highways were closed in town at 7 pm, no buses or trains, and everyone was under curfew at 8 pm. Even peaceful gatherings got teargassed and arrested after 8 pm to clear the streets. Yesterday, lots of local stores were boarded up whether they had damage or not, gasoline went up in price to about $2.49 ($1.85 the day before), and some chains of stores closed down all over town. This, on top of quarantine closings of stores, is feeling really bad... Even stuff like our local compost site is closed now as well as garbage pickup Saturday (delayed one day to make up for Memorial Day), and no mail delivery to our neighborhood. A lot of people on the streets protesting are from out of our area - Oklahoma, Texas, Dakotas, etc. I've heard high numbers cited, but unsure. Neighborhood groups are also banding together to clean up and supply food for residents. A lot of my FB friends near the sites of riot are thinking about bailing out and staying with friends and relatives out in the suburbs. I think my place is pretty quiet, despite being close - I just need a good sleep now . The local news has been broadcasting nonstop all day yesterday - I'm sure they are all tired also.

Yesterday I did take Gus out for a walk in a small park (hip bothering me) - three police officers were parked around the park, hopefully to get some rest for a while, not that someone bad was in the park they were trying to arrest. I did a lot of weeding to get away from the TV screen of constant news. I did put up a bird house on my street tree using the high ladder - difficult to climb that ladder these days with hip and knee issues. Luckily the toe is getting better fast - almost all debruised now. I hope that birdhouse will get used and will bring smiles to kids walking by (nostrils are the way in to the nest - looks like a big gnome face).

Today, I'm planning on giving Gus his walk again and more putzing outside - might mow the grass.

Laura, it'll be a rough time for health care workers now - lots of urgent care with cuts and bruises from rioters and fights amongst them, on top of Covid-19 outbreaks. I'm amazed and saddened by how many other cities are breaking out in riots and damaging the cities also.

Dede, Normally we have very few days in the 90's here - hot summer is usually in the 80's. I probably use my AC now a bit more than before when I got AC at work during the day. We've got several Whole Foods here in town - all are boarded up, but some out in the suburbs opened at the door for a few hours per day. I've never been a big fan of the store based on prices but they did have a good variety of veggies that I loved. Sorry your health care visit was so weird - I think the ortho clinic I was going to during the early part of the Covid-19 outbreak didn't have any restrictions - just really low patient numbers, but now it's the temp screenings, disinfection, and mask wearing requirements.

Paula, I'm having similar protocols for visiting the dentist - unfortunately I don't have a cell phone, so lots of these things get to be a pain in the butt. I think the hardest thing about all of these riot attacks is that they are affecting some really diverse and small business owners - these are the communities with small shops that people have worked their lives to establish - they help their communities, not exploit their communities. Most were shut down due to Covid-19 restrictions during quarantine, now this.... .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 04:03 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today has been a fabulous weather day. Nice cool breeze and the humidity hasn't arrived yet. I wish it could stay this way forever.

Paula, I watch Dr. John Campbell. He is a doctor like Anita (Ph.D.), and a former A&E (accident and emergency) nurse in the northern part of the UK near Scotland. He talks about the virus from a global perspective. I enjoy watching him every day, but I'll admit to now skipping through part of his presentation. He repeats himself a lot, and his videos are usually about a half-hour long. He does a lot of research and always provides links to the research he's talking about.

He has made the mistake in the past of being too confident in the research he's presenting because it comes from reputable agencies. But a couple of days ago, he reported that these research papers have proven to be less than factual. It looks as if these people are rushing their data out because they want to look important. He was disappointed to learn this.

I like him because he can explain things to make them understandable. He is no-nonsense, but he sometimes has a dry wit that cracks me up. Yesterday, he was talking about some monkeys in India who had stolen virus samples from someone. Then he corrected himself and said they had borrowed them because they did give them back. He said the monkeys in India would pinch anything they could get their hands on. He said they pinch first and ask questions later. I know it was a serious situation, but he had me in stitches talking about it.

Laura, that's why I go to Whole Foods - for a couple of gluten-free, dairy-free items. They haven't had them for three months. I have been fortunate that Kroger has been carrying one item and Food City the other. But occasionally they are out, and I never know if they will get them back again. I do buy Nugo bars and the brand of coconut milk I use for smoothies at Whole Foods.

Anita, I heard that it could be up to 80% outsiders doing damage there. I know that no one who is involved could be thinking straight. When you destroy your own town, where are you supposed to shop? As you say, so many businesses hurting already. What if they all just pack up and go? It's such a mess. I'm sorry you're right in the middle of it. I hope you can get some rest.
Old 05-31-20, 08:02 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Only workout this morning was a neighborhood walk with DH.

Protesters are marching in Long Beach, the city where we keep our boat and where I worked for many years. The protests are not close to the marina or the University where I worked at this point. As I said before the Rodney King riots came close to the University, so close the President closed the campus and sent everyone home. The University Police were order to surround the dorms and protect the students living there and let the whatever was going to happen to the buildings, happen. Luckily nothing did happen but a stores within two blocks of the campus were looted. I don't want to see that again.

Laura, like the theme - it's good for our times.

Anita, I am so sorry for what you and your neighbors are going through. These are sad times. You're right about the ER's being impacted with people injured protesting.

DeeDee, I like John Campbell too. I've watched him a few times. I do think many of the protestors who are doing the looting and damage to buildings are outsiders. I've been watching the demonstrators in Long Beach and the largeset group is just marching and then is a much smaller group they are photographing who are ignoring the march and just breaking into stores in an open air mall.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 07:43 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

At least last night was a bit quieter on the Saint Paul side of things. Highways were closed at 5 pm - surprise! There were a lot of protesters marching on the highway at that time, so they just went ahead and closed everything. Curfew was at 8 pm and everyone got corralled and arrested if they didn't head home in time. I did drive down part of University Ave in Saint Paul - everything is boarded up - not sure how much is broken glass and how much is just prevention - looks a bit like a ghost town. Another day without buses or trains. I'm hoping we'll get mail delivery and garbage pickup back in our neighborhoods.

Today, I'm planning on putzing around, giving Gus a walk. Maybe will try out the AC as we'll be getting into the 90's this week.

Dede, I don't know if I believe the 80% outsiders statement - maybe what's left on the streets for the most destructive stuff after all the home protesters went home? The arrest records haven't supported that number any more, but it has been around 20%. I used to go to Whole Foods when it was in my neighborhood and very accessible - then they closed down that store and built one under an apartment complex - still close, but too much of a pain to drive into. I think I used to go before the presidency of Whole Foods changed - don't know how much change happened from that in their suppliers. Has Covid-19 affected their suppliers also?

Paula, Hopefully your protestors in Long Beach aren't destructive. I'm wondering if things will start opening up and get fixed with anything still going on in the protest side. Right now it looks like a ghost town...

Anita
Old 06-01-20, 12:26 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was beautiful here yesterday and again today. It's pure sunshine and cool. DH and plan on going out for a walk later. This morning, I did some strength work with the band.

I signed up for an online summer camp with a crafting focus and it starts today. I've done this the past two summers and this summer it's longer (10 weeks). They release videos on different crafting techniques and have live events through the summer (which I usually watch on replay.). I have a couple of crafting projects I want to do this summer and am looking forward to learning stuff and hanging out with people who enjoy doing the same type of thing. This week is for setting up, getting your supplies together, etc.

I also need to get back into working on my blog and videos. I've been demotivated and having problems getting to it since mid-May. Ifilmed and posted a video last week. Now, I need to get the blog post for it posted and start working on the next one.

We have had peaceful protests that have turned into rioting the last couple of nights in Raleigh, Durham, and Fayetteville. They've looted and done damage to buildings and set fires. It's not as bad as Minneapolis or other bigger cities, but it's strange to watch it happen here.

Anita - Hope the AC works fine. It's good that it has been quieter near you. I hope that trend continues!

Paula - Those sound like memories you'd rather not revisit. I hope the protests now aren't too bad.

Dede - Yeah, that's one reason why I laugh when officials say to go out grocery shopping once a week or more. That would be possible if you could get what you need at one store!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-01-20, 06:16 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today's workout was my customized upper body routine and Cathe's Metabolic Blast (LITE).

I believe today will be our last good weather day. The higher temps and humidity are on the way.

Laura, what kind of crafts do you do? I'm not very crafty. I wish I could draw, paint, and write. Alas, I have no talent whatsoever.

Anita, I hope things are calming down where you are. I've seen footage on the news of small shop owners (everywhere) in tears over the loss of their businesses.

Paula, I hope things remain safe where you are. It's scary what is going down. We've had a little bit of it in our state too.

I'm still out of sorts. Laura said something about being demotivated. I understand completely. I don't want to do a thing. Sometimes when I begin to leave a room, DH will ask me where I'm going. (I have no idea why he needs to know this. ) My answer is almost always the same: I don't know. Sometimes I know exactly where I'm going and what I'm going to do, but I still end up telling him I don't know. I hope I'm not coming unhinged or anything.

I hope you all are having lovely weather. I'll think about that while I'm sweating in the stuffy heat.

Have a great evening, everyone.
Old 06-01-20, 08:02 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout this morning, we had to get an early start to take the plane to another airport to get some new equipment installed.

I have an appointment for my "annual" medical appointment on Friday morning. The doctor's office called today and said the doctor wants to do a "wellness" update by zoom. My first thought was "what the heck" but they explained since I'm in a vulnerable group, i.e. over 60 that it's best if I don't come into the office. So that's what we're going to do - at least I'll learn how to use zoom.

Anita, glad things are cooling down near you. I haven't heard about more protesting in Long Beach but every time I turn on the television I see new areas of protest. Hope you and Gus have a good, and safe, walk.

Laura, the online crafts class sounds like fun. What to they cover exactly - is there a variety to choose from?

Dede, I think we're all demotivated. Between the lockdown and the social issues, everything we see on television is depressing. It begins to get to you - I know we both have to fight it.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 08:55 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

We'll be in for a hot one today - high of about 92 F. I did try the AC yesterday and it does work. I'll have it on again today. I get a haircut today! Soooooo looking forward to that! Lots of rules and regs to follow to get the haircut - call in to get the door open, wear a mask, disinfect the hands, etc., but it's all Covid-19 preventative stuff. At least it's not riot related. On that front we still have curfews, but 10 pm to 4 am. A lot of eyes are examining our alleys and garbage containers for fire related garbage - gasoline in jars, straw bales, fireworks, etc. left behind to do more fire damage in our neighborhoods. I think I'm far enough away not to be affected by that. Still plenty of sirens and helicopter noises during the night, but it's getting quieter. The news is back to its normal half hour program, rather than the 100% coverage as breaking news all day.

I'll still get Gus out for a walk, but will go early to avoid the heat. I'll pass on chair yoga today to get it done before I go for my haircut.

Laura, cool that you'll be doing a crafting seminar online! We've got a number of adult classes offered online also - used to be held in person through the city. I might try something just for fun. Yeah, I end up hitting about four stores to get everything on my grocery list, but it's not 4 stores in one week.

Dede, Yeah, the damage to the stores and other buildings (at least not many homes) is sinking in to many and I'm sure they are figuring out what gets covered by insurance, etc. and what's needed to get back in business. Many were already closed for two+ months because of the virus. I've got mornings where I feel unhinged in my head also - grabbed beef broth for Gus to pour in my coffee instead of creamer, put the banana in the garbage and walked away with the peel - yeah....

Paula, I do Zoom for my chair yoga, but will go in for my pre surgical meeting with my doctor instead of by Zoom. Figure he wants to put his hands on my hip, listen to my heart, or send me for some blood work. Although the annual physical is now really limited (you can't bring up any problem areas - gets called a real visit for charging instead of the freebie annual), I'd still hate it over internet. I'm thinking of cutting out some news watching at home - at least the extended breaking news video has stopped for a bit. I'm catching up on reruns of the sic-fi show Battlestar Galactica which is quite depressing also... Not fun.

Anita