Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-15, 12:00 AM  
neatski

Fraud Alert!! Gilt.com

In January, I ordered Suzanne Bowen's 3-month special from Gilt.com. I've never logged in again or bought anything else, but I guess my credit card was on file, because the other day I woke up to an e-mail order confirmation from Gilt for two $5,000 Rolex watches being overnighted to Texas!!! The thieves weren't smart enough to update my e-mail address so that's what saved me. I managed to cancel the order and my credit card in time, but I was very upset that this happened, and also mad that Discover Card didn't catch that it was unusual that I was spending $10,000 (!!!!!!!!!!) on an online luxury goods store. I don't think I've ever spent more than $3,000 at once, and that was when I was buying roundtrip plane tickets to Israel for two people...

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 12:29 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

omg. that is really scary. thanks for the head's up.

did Discover have an answer about why they didn't catch it?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 03:02 AM  
Sophb21

Oh no I'm so sorry this happened. Thank you for the heads up!

I hope it gets sorted as stress-free to you as possible
Sophb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 05:54 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

THANK YOU for this. I do a lot of online shopping but don't save my credit card information if possible. I did not think my card was saved at my Gilt account but it was (site might be one of those sneaky ones where saving cc info is the default, instead of having the purchaser get the "do you want to save this card info" pop-up). My info is now deleted.

I hope you get everything worked out with Discover.
Old 09-09-15, 06:56 AM  
cherimac

How awful. I have never used Gilt but have thought about it with their deals. Hope it wasn't too much of a pain to get it fixed.
Old 09-09-15, 08:11 AM  
dela

So many issues with that! I'm really shocked Discover didn't flag that immediately. I have received calls from Capital One after trying to buy sneakers in Las Vegas (I guess the pattern of purchases in another state flagged it). I also would have hoped the site would have an extra layer of verification for a purchase that large and suspicious, who buys 2 Rolex watches at once?? I also set notifications on my card to tell me any time a purchase is made over $500, just to catch any nonsense sooner. Not sure if all my cards have that feature.

I would have had a small heart attack seeing that charge on my card.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 08:25 AM  
laurajhawk

I've been very happy with American Express - they've called me two or three times about potential fraud and they've always been right, and dealt with it really well and overnighted my new card. (One time they called for a legitimate purchase but it was way out of my pattern so I appreciated the call.) I have recently set notifications like Dela, for large purchases and also to flag when my balance exceeds a certain amount. (When I see a large purchase I call DH and say "Did you just buy a guitar?" and he says "Yes". But, I mean, if it ever wasn't a guitar then I would know. )

I don't think your experience speaks well for Discover. I'm so glad you caught it quickly!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 08:26 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I had a similar situation with my AmEx card couple of years ago. They didn't catch it either. Believe it or not, it was the merchant that called me to ask if I actually placed that order.
Old 09-09-15, 08:52 AM  
SpiritYogi

You were very lucky to catch the purchase before it went through. I've been a customer of Discover Card for years and, if anything, get frustrated with their security at times because I have to call before making large purchases or the charge will be flagged or even denied. You can set up extra security on your account by going to Account - Communication - Account Alerts. There you will see a picture of a lock with 'Protect Your Account' underneath. It is a great section to update with whatever security measures you want to add to your account.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 10:26 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

You want hyper security, try Wells Fargo. I had told them when I would be in NYC. After calling my home phone, (I later learned) only, they froze my Visa for suspicious activity, less than $2 on the hotel's computer! I don't have a smartphone & didn't travel with my laptop. After my Visa was declined in a restaurant, I called Wells. Very angry.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote