Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-12, 06:31 AM  
wnt2bfirm

I love everything about CLX except...

the actual exercises.

I've been thinking about doing CLX again because I love Chalene, the set, the music, the colors, lifting heavy and the length of the workouts.

But I find the exercises are awkward and they hurt my back. Has anyone done CLX but changed the exercises a to suit their needs? If so, can you share what you've done and what substitutions you have used?

Thanks!
wnt2bfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 07:15 AM  
txfitmom

I changed up CLX by using a resistance band. I have doing this for about a month now. I don't do the schedule as written for CLX. I mix and match the CLX workouts with Turbo Fire strength workouts which also use a band. I found out when doing CLX that there is one workout in burn phase (either workout 2 or 3) that I hate! Even doing the workout with the band did not make me like it. I think I realized at that moment that I could just not do that one workout in the set and still have plenty of good workouts. Right now I am not doing the cardio from CLX or TF, just doing my own thing...walking, elliptical, etc. I also allow myself days where I can pick any workout other than CLX to cure boredom, but so far I am seeing great results using the resistance band. I was kind of surprised that I would have such good results. I feel like my core is also worked more when using the band, it really engages your whole body. It just feels like more of an effective workout.

I know some other VFers have come up with schedules that put the CLX workouts in a different order. Maybe someone will post with those schedules.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 07:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Here is Debbie S.'s rearranged rotation schedule.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 07:47 AM  
Ann1964

I am the oppostie I liked CLX (minus Chalene).. LOL
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 10:18 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I changed up a few things:

I changed the schedule so I was doing the CLX weight workouts on MWF, and then I did my own cardio workouts on Tues and Thur. Quite often that was Turbo Jam, but I did whatever cardio I felt like.

I never did any add-on ab workouts or addtional stretching to speak of.

I would lay out two yoga mats in a + formation so that no matter what we were doing, I had the traction of mat underneath me.

I often kept my step in front of me and would put on foot up on that during moves where she had us bent over doing arm work. That made a HUGE difference. I didn't mind doing stuff like that in the lunges, since that naturally supported my back, but I can't just stand there bent over winging heavy weights around.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 10:51 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've been doing CLX workouts lately, just mixing and matching and alternating a week of Burn, Push, or Lean. Never stuck with the 90 day rotation, as intended. Usually just used the workouts for the variety.

When I first got my set, I used mostly the band. There weren't that many band workouts at the time. The range of motion is totally different, than just using weights alone, but it's a bit trickier to set up in time with everyone else.

I like about 80 percent of the exercises, I would say. There are some that are very challenging with heavy weights, so depending on the exercise I do have to switch to more moderate weights, sometimes.

I have never altered the exercises, but I don't see why you couldn't do that to make them suit you. Most of the Push phase is very traditional exercises. It's the Burn and Lean phase that are a bit different and would be very easy to modify. No one says you have to do exactly what they do.

I do like Sassy's suggestion, as I like my back to feel more supported when I'm lifting heavy.

I have used the other workouts, besides the weights and the circuit style is kinda fun. I do prefer longer (more thorough) warmups and cooldowns, than what Chalene does and will often add something to start or end of workout.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 11:00 AM  
PeakFitness

I had to change it so much I can't stand to do it. I had done the whole program once, really didn't like it. Thought I'd give it another chance, but did the first workout of the first phase and had to modify it so much I just gave up. Like do the deadlifts, take out the flyes. Do the lunges w/ flyes the first set, without flyes the second set. Having to modify 90% of the exercises just ruined it for me. (Yes I *can* modify, but I don't want to have to think about it- that's why I do DVDs, so I don't have to plan a workout.)

But I like Chalene in this, I like the set, the length, just hate the routines!
Old 07-11-12, 11:03 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've seen Cathe use some of the same exercise using a stability ball in workouts like Supersets. I feel more comfortable doing some back and shoulder exercises this way, but haven't made the modifications when doing CLX. Now, I want to try it with things like rear delt work, etc.

Maybe your back is hurting more during the one legged, balance type moves while lifting heavy? Or, your body is twisting out of alignment because weights are too heavy and form isn't as good as it could be because you're trying to keep up with the reps speed of cast? I sometimes find myself going a little faster on the last couple of reps, just to get them in (and that's not very smart of me.)

Pam

Current Rotation:
Old 07-11-12, 11:38 AM  
marmact

I never do anything from the first phase, because that's where I find most of the awkward exercises to be. I think the other two phases are much better.

Maybe I'm odd but I LOVE the cardio workouts - I think they are some of her best cardio workouts. As a matter of fact, I keep the set pretty much for those workouts.
Old 07-11-12, 01:07 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Marie, I like the cardio also (Burn It off and Burn Intervals.) Not as fond of Turbo Jam, though. I like the fact that some of the higher intensity moves have a modifier.

I think Chalene does a decent job with the yoga stretch (Recharge), too!

And, I do like Chalene's ab work. She makes it fun.

Pam

Current Rotation:

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene, chalene johnson, clx