Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-11, 09:04 AM  
isebelleg44

I love you guys! I think people think I am nuts when they see my collection. And they don't even know about the numerous ITrain and Cardio coach workouts I have.

I have given away so many workouts over the years, that I no longer use. I have traded and sold many dvds in my time, so its not like I am a hoarder. I just like to have a lot of variety in my collection, which can sometimes be a problem when I can't figure out what I want to that day.

P90x is just too precious and expensive just to be sitting there unused.
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 09:06 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Ugh. I've had that problem before, too - you lend something to someone, they never use it, but then when you want it back they try to guilt trip you because they "really want to try it." Yeah, no, obviously you don't really want to try it or you would have at some point during the six months you've had it. These scenarios tend to be annoying and awkward, but you have every right to stand your ground. Those are your workouts and you did someone a favour by lending them, but that doesn't mean you're obligated to let them have them for as long as they want. I think most of the problem with lending exercise DVDs is some people are committed home DVD exercisers and some are not. Those people who are not see a large collection and assume most of them are not used very often, or at all. So maybe they feel justified in keeping the DVDs for an unspecified amount of time. Many people who aren't vidiots also see workout videos as sort of "throwaway" things, and might even assume you're trying to get rid of it. And some people are just weird about borrowing and borrow things with the assumption there is no expectation they ever give them back. Not sure where people get this idea, but it certainly is irritating. I've actually had people getting straight up ANGRY with me for wanting my own stuff back. Can't let it bother you, though, because they're the ones who are being stupid and unreasonable in those cases.

I find one of the best ways to get an exercise DVD back from someone who doesn't seem interested in returning it is to design a rotation that includes that workout to be started in 2 weeks or whenever, and then tell them you need it back in two weeks because it's part of the new exercise routine you're starting. That gives them a fair amount of time to actually try to workout if they're ever going to (some people just need a deadline!) and it reminds them this is something you actually use and you weren't giving it away. Then remind and, if it comes to it, nag. I have recovered lost DVDs this way and no one is actually interested enough in my exercise routine to realize I ALWAYS flake out on my rotations. Always. Mostly I try not to lend my DVDs out anymore because they often turn out to be very difficult to get back, or occasionally come back so damaged I end up throwing them away.

Thank you for your amazing advice! You put in great words, how I feel.
Old 08-09-11, 09:07 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I don't loan out my DVDs, especially my expensive sets. If it's something inexpensive, I'm more likely to gift you your own copy. In your situation, I agree that you should tell her that you're planning a rotation with them in 2 weeks and that you'll need them back. That's more than enough notice.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 09:14 AM  
Gams

My sister asked to borrow some DVDs yesterday and I only gave the ones I have duplicates of - just in case.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 09:39 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have had this problem several times. I gave my step-daughter S16 to use, and never got it back, and I thought ok, she needs it more than I do, except that she has never used it I ended up trading for another set, I just have to have that one... I lent out my TransFirmer and workouts to a friend a few years ago. After several months.....I ended up just buying another set My problem is, even though they are my workouts, I hate asking for them back. Trying not to be selfish, trying to help other people to start exercising can be expensive

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 09:40 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
I don't loan out my DVDs, especially my expensive sets. If it's something inexpensive, I'm more likely to gift you your own copy. In your situation, I agree that you should tell her that you're planning a rotation with them in 2 weeks and that you'll need them back. That's more than enough notice.
Trust me I didn't not want to lend her this set. I knew she wasn't going to use them, because she doesn't exercise to dvds. I also know that is an intense program that requires commitment. I warned her that is not best system to lose weight, but she wanted to still borrow it. I even bought her S90 to try to dissuade her. I can thank my husband for letting her know I had the set!

If she was using the set, ok I would deal with it but she's not! I am going to ask for it back, next time I see her.
Old 08-09-11, 10:33 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I would just ask for them back - tell her you want to use them.
That.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 10:51 AM  
edensmom

I've come upon this recently. I have been lending workout dvds to my sister and she does use them but she had borrowed quite a few at once for quite a while and asked for more without first returning the others. Some pricier one such as Dove, Tracy A., etc. The trouble is I never know what I will want to use. I have probably 200+ dvds but they are mine and I want them available for my use. I am not a lending library. I thought at first, I have so much, I can't possibly use all of it at once and felt like I should or wouldn't mind to lend the workouts. Well, I've since changed my mind and gotten everything back. I have no problem asking (telling) for stuff back. It is your stuff and it was generous of you to lend. My collection is my favorite thing! Besides, my sister has like 40 or so workout dvds it's not hurting her to not use mine!
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 11:02 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I never, ever offer to loan out my DVD's, even to those people that I think would enjoy them. I have been totally burned in the past by loaning out books and the person "losing" them or not giving them back, and my DVD's are worth so much more to me, so why chance it? An even worse situation would be the DVD's being given back damaged, which would piss me off so much it would probably ruin the relationship, so again, why chance it?
ITA

I've loaned out books to have them returned to me looking like they were read in the bathtub.

With the exception of one or maybe two people who I trust (and whom I would tell the 'loan terms' ahead of time), and maybe not even then with DVD's I really like, I would not loan DVDs.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 11:03 AM  
cpcathy

I don't lend DVDs, I donate or give them to friends when I'm "done" with them. I got my Zumba Exhilerate, realized that I wanted my Zumba Transfirmation back, so I asked my friend, whom I'd given it to, to bring it back!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lendings dvds, loaning dvds