Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-11, 10:12 AM  
CORALPRINCESS

Hello

Another Newb checking in, I'm Carla from England, & I'm 29 and a Mum of a 3.5 year old and I work part time.

I've always used VF for reviews, I love the fact that people break down all the moves, I like to know what's coming next, and just recently decided to join in the forum & chat to like minded video enthusiasts!

I'm addicted to Jillian Michales dvd's. The 30DS gave me definition in my arms, shoulders & legs in such a little space of time I'm totally devoted to her methods! I love that she works multiple parts of the body to save time & get your heartrate up. I'd rather work twice as hard for half the time (As long as it's not Plyo!)

My aim is to drop 20 pounds (already dropped 21 so far, halfway there!) And I want good cuts on my biceps & shoulders, and to lose the Mummy tummy (How hard is that?!?! It's going nowhere! Everywhere else shrinks but this stays the same)

I've got a Bodybugg which I find invaluable in monitoring my calorie burn & what dvd burns what, I worked out that doing Jillians BFBM (Which I hated, Plyo!!) was burning the same as an hour on the Wii doing Just Dance so I just do what I enjoy til I hit my burn

I love cycling, I walk my son to nursery most days but when he doesn't have to go I cycle in to work, I wish I could do it more often! I also love dance & boxing/kickboxing. I hate Plyo (Did you guess that?!)

As for DVD's I have 30DS, BFFM NMTZ & Ripped in 30 from Jillian
P90X which I have dabbled with but never actually done the rotation (maybe after I finish Ripped in 30, I'm on day 2 week 2 today)
Turbo Jam (Really didn't like this, First time hurt my back, 2nd time hurt my shoulder. I think it's too fast for me to concentrate on my form)
Zumba (Coming in the post)
Wii Just Dance, JD2, Michael Jackson experience (LOVE!!) Wii Cheer, Biggest Loser, Gold's Cardio.
Some Davina McCall workouts & a few Firm's & 10ms (the 2 ab ones) plus Rodney Yee AM yoga (Love!) and a Gaiam Pilates one.

I'm lusting after Tracy Anderson's Meta & Supreme 90 (No UK shipping on this one and it's not on ebay )

Also, I'm looking for straight cardio dvd's in kickboxing/boxing (Couldn't get on with Tae Bo for the same reason as TJ, hurt my back) Cathe sounds interesting, everyone seems to rave about her! If antone has any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Sorry for the long post!!
CORALPRINCESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 01:00 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome to you both! I hope you are finding what you are looking for on VF.

Lostinabook - I have a feeling we have a love of reading in common. Keep your eyes peeled because there is often a thread for book recommendations around here somewhere along with all the fitness talk. Congrats on the weight loss you've seen so far. Feel free to jump in and ask your questions (if you haven't already)!

CoralPrincess - You'll find a a small, but significant, part of this community is from Europe, with several from the UK. And, VF is the best place to find out info like where to get workouts that were previously unavailable outside of the US. Hope they start offering the ones you want there soon.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 02:34 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Welcome to you both. Glad you decided to come out of lurkdom and join the fun.

If you have questions about acronyms, first name usage or where people tend to purchase from, go to this thread http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=143652.

If you have a question that is not answered, just post it on the thread and I will research and add.

Thanks.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:23 PM  
Dbie

Guess it is the day/week of newbies! I am also new to this forum, although not to working out at home. I am ADDICTED to exercise!
I am 36 and a mother of 2, and although my scale may not show the lowest number it ever has, I am in the best shape of my life. I don’t exercise to lose weight. I do it for the “runner’s high”, to stay fit and healthy, and most importantly… so that I can wear my 16 year old daughter’s jeans!
My most recent fitness accomplishments are completing Insanity last July, after tinkering with P90x for 2+ years I finally followed the workout schedule and am currently on week 9, last October I decided to try running and have since ran 3 – 5ks and placed within the top 3 finishers in my age bracket at two of them. I may try my first 10k next month.
I am constantly intrigued by all of the workout infomercials. I am always looking for something new. I was checking reviews of rip:60 when I happened across this site, which has also led me to interest in several other programs. My biggest dilemma is that I need to work to be able to afford all of the programs that I want, but I need more time to be able to workout as much as I would like!
Any directions around the site are much appreciated.

PS. Thanks for the link paideiamom, it is very helpful. I found myself trying, without much success, to figure out several acronyms already.
Dawn
Dbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:05 AM  
CORALPRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Welcome to you both! I hope you are finding what you are looking for on VF.

CoralPrincess - You'll find a a small, but significant, part of this community is from Europe, with several from the UK. And, VF is the best place to find out info like where to get workouts that were previously unavailable outside of the US. Hope they start offering the ones you want there soon.
They just got the Supreme 90 in stock at Total Fitness DVD's! Plus the shipping was super cheap ($6.81) I nevewr would have known about that site if it wasn't for VF, I love this place already!
Old 03-17-11, 09:11 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORALPRINCESS View Post
They just got the Supreme 90 in stock at Total Fitness DVD's! Plus the shipping was super cheap ($6.81) I nevewr would have known about that site if it wasn't for VF, I love this place already!
Enjoy the workouts when you get them! There is a major faction here at VF totally in love with Mary and the service she gives. But, you obviously heard that...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:25 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Welcome Dbie. Hope you time here is fruitful and fun.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 12:06 PM  
CORALPRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Enjoy the workouts when you get them! There is a major faction here at VF totally in love with Mary and the service she gives. But, you obviously heard that...
Thanks, I will! And she already shipped out, how awesome is that
Old 03-19-11, 05:23 PM  
topfitmama

Hi Coralprincess!
I'm also in Europe. Currently in Germany, but have also lived in the south of England (Wiltshire).
Tracy Anderson's DVDs are not very expensive from Amazon UK, actually, Mat was reduced to something under 7 pounds!

For European online shops that carry workouts I suggest play.com and gam.co
Both are based in the UK, and both offer free shipping.
If you find that a workout doesn't agree with you, you can list it on the "video exchange" board I got rid of a few workouts that I didn't get along with and got some really nice ones instead.

Nice to see you around!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 10:22 AM  
Westcoaster

Smile An - Introduction- Join Me!!

Just joined and very excited about it. I've been checking the different threads, and it's the kettlebells that have pushed me over the top. I may be one of the "older" fitness buffs here...

Am 66 with kids and grandchildren, who all never know what I'm going to be into next... Running, weightlifing ( almost decided to compete), kickboxing, boxing, yoga, Pilates-- and now Kettlebells.. I Love to challenge myself.. and love to do videos at home..

I have loads of Cathe, love Illaria's, started kettlebells with Bob Harper and Sarah, and now have ordered AOS and Paul Katami.

Would also love to join a group to keep motivated- and also show that there's lots and lots of fitness challenges for women in their 50s and ( gulp) even 60s!!!!!
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread