Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 04-11-02, 06:46 PM  
Trish
VF Supporter

Question Your favorite stretch video or segment

Hello!
Which video (or part of a video) do you think has the most thorough and enjoyable stretching? I've found that my favorite videos (Firm classics) don't hold each stretch as long as my personal preference.

I'm speaking of stretching as opposed to yoga or pilates videos.
Thank you very much for any input
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 08:07 PM  
ksleeth
VF Supporter

Dynamic Stretch on the Ball

Hi Trish,

Dynamic Stretch on the Ball with Stephanie Morris is a wonderful and relaxing stretch tape. I picked it up with the Spri 6 pack-on-the-ball. I have never felt my back and legs so thoroughly stretched. When it's over I just want to lie down. The only drawback is it is long - 45 minutes total. But it's worth the time investment if you're looking for a good and thorough stretch. The production is not the best but that really doesn't distract from the workout.

Happy Stretching!

Kim
ksleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 08:23 PM  
Heather B

Tamilee Webb's Beginner Stretch for Flexibility

This is a 30 minute ish stretch tape, with standing and lying on the floor stretch poses. it is intended to be all one workout. I find this to be a great length of time.

In my opinion, she holds each stretch for a satisfying amount of time, and often repeats the poses. It is just her and you (and a duck) with quiet music. One thing I really like about this tape is that she is not superflexible, so while she is dempnstrating ther stretches, you get a reasonable picture of what you should look like. She also suggests modifications for the stiff (like me, and clearly explains where the stretch should be felt.

All this, plus nice scenery!

-Heather in Philly
Heather B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 08:44 PM  
PamelaP

Another vote for Dynamic Stretch...both of them!

I love the Dynamic Stretch that's already been mentioned, and also the Dynamic Stretch tape put out by Candice Copeland in the mid '90s. Also a big fan of Tamilee and the duck's stretch tape. But I do the segmented one more often...and can never remember which is which in terms of their titles.

Also Charlene's Homestretch (despite the funky pastel late-'80s workout wear) and Scott Cole's Millennium Stretch, which is unfortunately way too long for me to do more than once in a blue moon.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 09:33 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith's Instant Workout

I'm not too impressed with this tape EXCEPT for the stretch. It is 23 minutes long and absolutely wonderful. I have kept this tape for years because of it. Nice thing is that you can probably get this tape on the exchange, or buy it cheaply since it's been around a while.

Speaking of Dynamic Stretch, it looks like Pamela's cat has mastered the art very well.
Old 04-11-02, 09:41 PM  
PamelaP

Re: Kathy Smith's Instant Workout

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane P.
Speaking of Dynamic Stretch, it looks like Pamela's cat has mastered the art very well.
Hee hee! Yes, we're hoping to produce and release "Pepper's Power Stretch" sometime later this year. Coming to a store near you!
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 10:17 PM  
Brenda M

I love to stretch--my faves are...

I love stretching--especially after a tough cardio workout. It just seems so relaxing and it makes my muscles really feel great. My favorite stretch tape is Tamilee's Beginner Stretch. I have both of her stretch tapes, but I prefer the one in the pink box (their titles are so close that I can't remember the correct name for it right now). I also really love Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch. Karen is deadly serious during this video, and it is pretty long to be used as an add-on (I think it's over 30 minutes), but it is very, very thorough. Kathy Smith has a nice 7 or 8 minute stretch segment at the end of her Timesaver Cardio video that I really like, too. As a matter of fact, I keep that video cued to the beginning of the stretch so I can add it on quickly and easily.
Old 04-12-02, 05:49 AM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

Another vote for Tamilee's stretching videos. If you are in the mood for a long stretch with a relaxation at the end her stretch for flexability is 26 1/2 minutes long. I like to do it first thing in the morning when I get up.

If you don't like the stretching at the end of a tape, her total body stretch for beginners (I think that is the name) has 3 - 10 minute stretching routines, one sitting in a chair, one standing and one on the floor. I have substituted her stretch for some of the later FIRMs because they are a joke. You can do them all in one session or use them seperately. HTH
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-02, 08:19 AM  
Donna Mc
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Definately Tamilee!

I have both of Tamilee's stretching tapes and they are both wonderful. The one named Beginner Stretch for Flexibility is about 26 minutes and has the duck (I love the duck!). The one named Total Body Stretch for Beginners is the one that has three 10 minute segments, one standing, one sitting in a chair and one on the floor. The segmented one is perfect for after a FIRM workout, that's what I use that one for. The other one I try to use about twice per week and it has really helped with my general flexibility. I've seen allot of improvement in my flexibility because of these tapes. I highly recommend them
Old 04-12-02, 08:26 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: Kathy Smith's Instant Workout

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane P.
I'm not too impressed with this tape EXCEPT for the stretch. It is 23 minutes long and absolutely wonderful. I have kept this tape for years because of it. Nice thing is that you can probably get this tape on the exchange, or buy it cheaply since it's been around a while.

Yes, Pamela's cat is executing a very impressive downward facing dog or, as Eoin Finn likes to call it, downward facing cheetah.

I like the Kathy Smith stretch on Instant Workout too, although I haven't done it in a while. I hang onto the tape just in case though.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, favorites, stretch