Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 04-16-03, 11:17 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

The Everything Lotte Berk Thread

Hi everyone

By popular demand...

I have not done these workouts yet so this is mostly a compilation of various forum posts. Enjoy!

1: What is the Lotte Berk Method?

The Lotte Berk Method (LBM) is a system of isometric exercises derived from Pilates. It is similar to the Callanetics method: Lotte Berk and Callan apparently learned the exercises from the same source and took them in slightly different directions.

From Rad: “LB is unequivocally a muscle strengthening practice that employs free weights, but uses stretches between weight work to elongate the muscles instead of bulk them”

2: What is the difference between Lotte Berk and Pilates? Callanetics?

From Cate: “I do Pilates on a regular basis and have done Lotte Berk's Hip Hugger Abs tape several times. Lotte's method is sort of like Pilates, but not really. The moves are a bit more strenuous and not as relaxing as Pilates and holding the proper form seems to be more difficult than Pilates. Just my opinion.”

From Jasmin: “After watching them yesterday I was a tad bit disappointed at how short the stretches were held. There were more stretches spread out throughout the workout than the Firm, yes, but they weren't held long enough for my body to really get into them.”

From Francesca: “In pilates there are moves that open up the abs, for instance the swan dive, which I love, and which I used to add in after conventional ab workouts, same as in yoga, the cobra and up dog keep the abs nice and flexible. Not opening up the ab area after working it can lead to a shortening/tightening of the front of the body which is bad news for the back. Have fun with your first try at BE. You will find there are many similarities to Callanetics but it does move faster - as far as I know, Callan took LB classes and adapted them.”

From Jasmin: “I agree stretching throughout the workout is better than only at the end. Callanetics does that too, and the stretches are held longer. LBM stretches the abs though which Callanetics doesn't do and I always wondered why. I was born inflexible and it takes a while for me to get into a stretch. That's why LBM stretches don't look long enough for me. “

From Jane P: Pilates is an excellent system. If you get to the advanced level, it's a total body workout, but at the beg/int level it's mostly core work. If you want more work for your arms and legs, you may want to add that in, but it sounds as if you're already doing that.”

From Kelly: “I love Pilates, however, I don't really feel that Lotte Berk and Callanetics stem from Pilates at all. There are a lot of different and unique moves, especially for targetting the glute and hamstring attachment for that ballerina butt. Also, with moves like the Dancing Knees, it targets really sculpting long, lean muscles on your quads all the way up towards your hips. “

From Jane P: “I do like Lotte Berk for the lower body. I think it does some unique moves that aren't done in other exercise systems, but I think Pilates is better for the abs so I add LBM lower body moves to my Pilates workout. LBM is basically isometric holds, so if you find attaining a position and then holding it a while to be beyond boring, it's probably not for you.”

From Jane P: “I don't have Lotte Berk, but I've done Callanetics and Pilates and I think the legs get worked more in Callenetics. Despite the side series, etc. Pilates mostly works the core, although you do work the glutes and hamstrings a bit. I think LB works the legs more than Pilates.”

From Tamara: “the emphasis in pilates is on alignment, on balance, and on functionality. The goal is not to recruit maximum muscle fibers or to isolate "problem" areas, but to develop functional, symmetrical strength across the spectrum of the body's capability. Yes, the core is always activated, but rarely in isolation. Joseph Pilates vision was that no part of the body is really required in isolation from the rest of the body, but that the entire body moves in concert. The majority of pilates exercises are thus designed this way, with some "series" that pay attention to one section or another--but always as a means to reach symmetry and balance, to strengthen weaker areas.”

From Amethyst2002: “I'm finding that I enjoy doing my LBM videos so much I don't even reach for pilates that much these days. What hooked me on LBM was the variety of standing and floor exercises and there is a lot of stretching dispersed throughout the workout, which is important to me because I'm trying to improve my flexibility. I also love the standing barre work in the LBM, which of course, you won't find in pilates videos. I was getting a little bored with the matwork in pilates (and I do still like pilates), so Lotte Berk turned out to be a nice crosstrainer for me.”

Tamara has some very long and really interesting explanations and comments in one of the Pilates/Lotte Berk threads:
http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread...k&pagenumber=2
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 11:18 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

3: What tapes and dvd’s are available? Where can I get them?

There are four 30-minute workouts available on tape and DVD. The dvd versions each feature a bonus workout. The workouts are sold as a set or available individually through Collage Video (www.collagevideo.ca) amazon.com and amazon.ca. Several American Vfers have reported seeing them at major chain bookstores such as Borders.

The four workouts are:

Basic Essentials
Instructor: Stephanie Lyons

From Linda H: “The Basic Essentials tape does 2 or 3 moves for abs, thighs, seat, and hips. The moves are similar to what's done in You Can Do It but more in line with Lydia Bach's book. You can almost tell how much burn they're feeling by how big their smiles are!”

From Tamara: “I love Basic Essentials. In my opinion, it is the most thorough of the 3 I've done, and Stephanie's instruction and on-camera personality are terrific. It hits upper, lower, and abs in a very efficient way. Neither HRA or MEF really targets abs directly, though HHA is all about abs. And BE was much more challenging than I expected.”

From Britt: “BE is a great workout - really works the whole body. I thought it would be an instructional, introduction tape but it wasn't. Thank goodness! They do explain the moves before you do them, but they do that on all their tapes. I would highly recommend it - it is one of my favorites. “

DVD Chaptering can be found here:
http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread...ght=Lotte+Berk

High Round Assets
Instructor: Kristin Lilley

From Samanthaeve: I have just recieved this in a trade, (have done it twice!) and I like the workout.It feels a tad difficult (I consider myself an advanced Catheite) and I wanted something to take me out of the heavy leg training thing.”

From Tamara: “High, Round Assets included the High Knees as well as pushups and dips (I think) in the warm up. The barre work included more of the extension work that I find works the entire thigh more than just the front quads. Can't remember if the "diamond" move is there or not, or if you "knee dance" but I think so. Then there is "back dancing", which is done lying supine, with the feet hip width apart, knees bent, and pelvis rolled slightly off the mat. Basically, pulsing the pelvis forward and back, side to side, circles, eights, etc., while activating glutes, hamstrings and abs. It's tough!”

From Montereyvidiot: “It's in a studio, with a leader and 2 silent followers. The tape is approx 30 minutes, in 4 sections. They wear socks, no shoes. They do a nearly 10-minute toning warm-up (don't ask how I feel about pushups) which I fast-forwarded. Then, standing work at a barre or something you can hold on to. This was the most intense section, but not Callanetics or All the Right Moves. Then "Floor Dancing" (hah) which is pelvic lifts, no weights. Then a nice stretch.”

From Linda H: “After the warmup and the pushups they do standing glute and hamstring work followed by floorwork. The standing work is a bent leg lift to the rear with a variation. The other exercise is a straight leg lift to the rear, while bent at the hip and holding the barre. Think of Warrior III and pulsing the leg up while using the barre for balance. The floorwork was tucking and releasing the pelvis. This is similar to the way Margaret Richard works the glutes.”

From Honey: “I like it a lot. Short, but intense enough to get the job done.”

Hip Hugger Abs
Instructor: Suzanne Cook

From Deb: “I have Muscle Eats Fat and Hip Hugger Abs. When I initially did them I thought they were 'too easy'.....they gradually got harder and harder as I learned to do them properly. I love them now, especially the Ab tape but don't be surprised if at first they seem easy.”

Muscle Eats Fat
Instructor: Barbara Boolukos

From Tamara: “Muscle Eats Fat warms up with High Knees and includes upper body work with light weights, then to barre work similar to plies, but with the quads and calves continually activated by keeping feet turned out, heels together and lifted, knees flexed (imagine the legs open in a diamond shape). After a few sets of those, you move to "knee dancing", which works the quads and the seat, though I feel the work more in the quads. Since the stretches between sets also stretch the quads, I suspect that's where you are "supposed" to feel it the most.”

From Linda H: “In Muscle Eats Fat they do some upper body work before the thigh work. They put a new twist on old exercises like biceps curls but as in Pilates, they work the entire body while they do it.”

4: What equipment do I need for the tapes?

The workouts all use a free-standing ballet barre. A chair or wall can be substituted.

From Linda H: “The easy question first. You'll need a sturdy chair or ballet barre for balance. A wall will work. Maybe a mat for working abs and the exercises on the knees. That's about it.”

From Gimmat: “I use the back of a desk chair for the standing work in place of a barre. BE just uses it as balance, and to "lean into" for the seat work. There is one move in MEF that I'm not comfortable with using my chair (leaning back while in the tuck), but that's it. From the Collage Video clips, it looks like HRA might use the barre the most.”

From Tamara: “Basic Essentials works well without a barre. I don't have a barre, and this is the one I keep reaching for. You don't really need it for MEF either, but I don't feel very stable using my chair for HRA.”

From BFJ: “And don't let not having the barre or sturdy furniture stop you from trying them. One of the instructor shows the moves by leaning to the wall instead of the barre. I have tried both, and they both work great.”

5: If I can only get one tape or DVD, which should I get?

From Amy: “My faves are Basic Essentials and Muscle Eats Fat - those are the two I do the most. I've only done Hip Hugger Abs one time because there is ab work in BE and MEF and my problem area is my butt/thighs. MEF and BE have some of the same as the butt dvd and Hip Hugger Abs - so I don't think it's necessary to get those two.”

From Tamara: “Basic Essentials is the one I really *LOVE* to do. It's more thorough than any of the others, imho. And something about Stephanie's personality on camera just makes me want to do it perfectly. I love her, I love it, just one big love fest. Long way around to say--it depends on your goals. BE is a great all-over workout, with a great instructor, but if you want to really hit a specific area, you might be better off with HHA or HRA.”

From Tamara: “I'd second the vote for High Round Assets. You will still get a little upper body work from the warm-up, and the standing barre work is great for shaping the leg from all angles, while "back dancing" really works the glutes. Even the abs get some work. This one is a new one for me--I had to buy them in onsie-twosies too. I started with Basic Essentials, and I'm glad I did, but I wasn't looking to concentrate on the lower body, rather to get as close to a balanced routine as possible.”
Old 04-16-03, 11:19 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

6: What else can you tell me about this series?

LOTTE BERK VERSUS WEIGHT TRAINING

From Jane P: “I haven't been at it long enough to see results yet, but I agree with you that traditional weight training places too much emphasis on contracting the muscle and not enough on lengthening it afterwards. Two seconds of stretching after working a muscle for 15 reps is not enough.”

From Colleen: “I'm recovering from a nasty hip injury (a bad case of tendonitis), and I think that the Lotte Berk workouts will allow me to work the lower body hard without aggravating the hip. The "tuck" position keeps the hip flexors extended, and this position is comfortable for my hip. In contrast, I have to be very careful doing traditional standing leg exercises, because the repeated flexion/extension while bearing my body weight can cause a tendonitis flare-up.”

From Eventmom: “Only done "high round assets" once, but my impression is it's a sort of get out of it what you put into it video. If you want to use weights for lower body, I suspect you wouldn't like it. I'm in a no weights for lower body thing right now so this workout fits in nicely.”

LOTTE BERK VERSUS YOGA

From Aline: “I'm finding the LBM DVDs to be very helpful for yoga, much more so than pilates or even conventional weightlifting are. I've done yoga forever but just re-started the LB exercises (they are replacing pilates for now) and I can feel a difference already in many yoga poses. I'm considering replacing my normal weight training with them, but am still a bit hesitant because there is not much there for upper body.”

From Eventmom: “I did "high round assets" last night for the first time and if you are looking for lower body work without weights I think you'd like it. Some of the moves are fairly traditional (bridge work) but with a twist that I will probably incorporate when I do that move in other workouts. I think it will promote a lean look (similar to pilates) but obviously with only one workout it's hard to know.”

From Francesca: “LB really compliments yoga. Instead of feeling like I am battling with yoga to counteract the tightening effects of weights on an already tight lower body, LB has the incorporated stretches which help - and the strong pelvic tilt stops my hip flexors from getting tighter.”

LOTTE BERK VERSUS T-TAPP VERSUS CALLANETICS

From Debbie: “T-Tapp is the harder of them all, especially as you become better at it. You can indeed work in an aerobic state approx. 10 minutes into this workout. I did Callanetics years ago and really liked it. Like T-Tapp, it really does produce nice results, but it's a more gentle workout. I finally previewed one of my Lotte Berk tapes, Basic Essentials, and even though it does have a Callanetic feel to it, I didn't find that they were really similar to each other. Remember, this is my observation after previewing one workout. I can tell you what all these workouts do have in common, isometric tension, which I believe is the key element to their success. “

From Sophie: “T-Tapp is definately more strenuous than Pilates, even done in live classes, and because there are more standing moves, it feels more complete to me. It feels about equal in intensity to me to a decent power yoga session.”

From Aline: “While doing Lotte Berk isometric exercises I can feel muscles that need to be worked working instantly. Callanetics, it took a few tries. With T-tapp, not absolutely nothing, but not nearly as much as the others, which disqualified it. I think the extreme positioning that LB and Callanetics use might be a factor, working at the limit of my own range of motion, not someone elses.”

LOTTE BERK ROTATION IDEAS

From Rad: “There is absolutely no risk in overtraining with LB alone as you are always alternating between strength and stretch work, at least in the classes, which seem identical to the clips I've seen at Collage. All that burning in LB is about burning off the fat. If you do LB 5x a week, you will see significant changes in less than 2 weeks. The work definitely targets the legs to slim them.”
Old 04-16-03, 11:20 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

7: What threads can I consult for further information?

Consult the following VF threads:

Do I need all four tapes?
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ght=Lotte+Berk

Lotte Berk: Calling All Firm and Cathe fans

Pilates, Lotte and Callanetics

Pilates vs. Lotte Berk

What’s the Verdict on the Lotte Berk videos?

Another Pilates vs Lotte Berk Q (Note: VERY interesting thread on spiritual roots)

If You Were Only Getting One Tape…

How Hard is the LBM?

Lotte Berk and Yoga

My Lotte Berk DVD’s arrived…(first impressions thread)

On the review at Collage…

Lotte Berk and Rotation Ideas

I have the Lotte Berk tapes…
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...k&pagenumber=2

Lotte Berk vs. T-Tapp vs. Callanetics
Old 04-16-03, 12:33 PM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

Yikes, with all those threads to sort through, it would be hard to find what you want. Thank you, Joanna, for taking the time to make this consolidated source of Lotte Berk information!
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 01:14 PM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Joanna, you are just wonderful to do this yet again. Your Everything Joyce is fantastic and this will be a huge help as well.
Thanks!
Karen
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 01:23 PM  
Janzia
VF Supporter

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for doing this. You're the greatest .

Jeanette
Janzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 02:05 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

Joanna:

Why Yes, Yes, you are the greatest! What a great, informative thread!

Beth
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 05:57 PM  
Francesca

Wow

Joanna, what a labour of love. I vote this thread should go into the FAQ section. You must have taken ages putting this together, nice piece of work!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 07:21 PM  
SweatyGirl
VF Supporter

Thank you!! What a great help and resource!
SweatyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything, faq, lotte berk