Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-19, 06:37 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
It might not be just like the bar, but could simulate it if you think of yourself in a kind of cage where the weights have to stay by your legs and aren’t allowed to move forward.
I'm particularly suggesting this, "suitcase DLs" with the weight at one's side(s), to sub for a trap bar if one's range of motion is a problem (or if one's rotator cuff is acting up -- I know one doesn't "use" one's arms here, and one should always keep one's shoulders retracted but they are involved. One can change one's grip on the barbell but this is another aid to have less internal rotation in the shoulders).

BTW, there are many YT videos comparing proper form in a DL vs squats. Also I like Pavel showing DL variations here (after doing one quick floor press).

I thought of Pavel now because he suggests (IIRC, in relation to KB swings) practicing hinging back, keeping one's shins vertical, with one's feet just a couple of inches from a wall. I practiced that while I was waiting for my first KBs eons ago and it has served me well.

ETA: Terry, you want your weight to stay in your heels and so it's best to do DLs in your socks or flats.
Old 10-13-19, 12:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I had several Cathe videos and her cueing/form pointers for bent leg dead lifts never worked for me. I never felt a thing.

I happened to read an article about them and them it all made sense. Sadly, that was so long ago, I forget who made me see the light.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadlifts