Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-19, 03:29 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

My First Tonique Workout

Today was my first Tonique workout. I bought four from Mary’s sale, started with Royale, and liked it a lot. For several months I’ve been doing one or two of the Barlates Body Blitz (Linda Wooldridge) Endurance series workouts most days, and they have been great preparations for Tonique. There are some similar moves and the pace is about the same, although Tonique has more reps.

During one of her You Tube “Coffee Talk” videos, Linda talks about Sylwia being her favorite instructor, and credits Sylwia’s influence in the workouts that Linda recently filmed, especially the Endurance series, and for her leaner look and strength gains.

I am in awe of the great information and detail in ebianco's Tour of Tonique thread, and will be referring to it a lot: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=220622

I’d love to hear about your Tonique experiences and favorites!
Donatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 04:15 PM  
bubbles76

I'm in awe that your first Tonique workout was Royale . I'll be starting back with Premier when I decide to start a rotation. Probably follow up with Tonique 2. Not sure where to go from there, but I'll have all ones she has on dvd by then. Except for the Hawaiis. Would love to hear opinions on where to start next.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 06:14 PM  
manleym

Ebianco has been a great source of information, as well as Christina. Donatella, I'm impressed you started with Royale. I've read that it is one of the more difficult and long workouts. I'm thinking of using sections of them as add-ons to start off. I'm not sure I can or want to do an entire workout yet. I rotate through Cathe, KCM, and Tracie so this is new for me. I've been doing Cathe's 100 rep challenge recently so hopefully that will help. I would love to hear suggestions and ideas. It will be fun to see how everyone uses them. It will also be fun to see which workouts people like and which ones end up on trade lists.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 07:00 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm in awe that your first Tonique workout was Royale . I'll be starting back with Premier when I decide to start a rotation. Probably follow up with Tonique 2. Not sure where to go from there, but I'll have all ones she has on dvd by then. Except for the Hawaiis. Would love to hear opinions on where to start next.
I wish those would go on sale!! I've had my eye on that set for a long time and it never seems to go cheaper. No way I'll pay $55 for a dvd-r. I wonder why all the other sets were so marked down and no additional drop for that one?
Old 09-07-19, 07:18 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I am glad you enjoyed your first workout! Hope you will enjoy the others as much.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 07:28 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

Hi All, I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought Royale was easy for me - it was really tough, and I know I'll be sore tomorrow. I began with Royale because it looked the most like the Barlates Endurance series that I've been doing, and I thought that some familiarity with the moves would be helpful. I had to take several breaks and was not able to do all the push-ups, not even close.

One thing I forgot to mention was the music. I was home alone, it was dark outside and very early in the morning (my husband has to commute to work and be there by 5am so we are always up by 3am, and I workout as soon as he leaves). Anyway, I kept hearing weird noises, like someone was knocking on the door, or rummaging in the garage. I kept thinking "what IS that noise???" I paused the DVD to check the home security camera, and it turned out to be just some interesting noises on the Royale soundtrack.
Old 09-07-19, 07:32 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
Today was my first Tonique workout. I bought four from Mary’s sale, started with Royale, and liked it a lot. For several months I’ve been doing one or two of the Barlates Body Blitz (Linda Wooldridge) Endurance series workouts most days, and they have been great preparations for Tonique. There are some similar moves and the pace is about the same, although Tonique has more reps.

During one of her You Tube “Coffee Talk” videos, Linda talks about Sylwia being her favorite instructor, and credits Sylwia’s influence in the workouts that Linda recently filmed, especially the Endurance series, and for her leaner look and strength gains.

I am in awe of the great information and detail in ebianco's Tour of Tonique thread, and will be referring to it a lot: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=220622

I’d love to hear about your Tonique experiences and favorites!
Donatella, Thank you for the glowing kudos!!

Wow congratulations that you were able to tackle Royale, and that really shows that Linda's Endurance workouts can prep you for Tonique! That is definitely one of her hardest workouts! Even just finishing it without going at Sylwia's speed is an incredible feat, physically and mentally. That is really funny about the noises on the Royale soundtrack!

I thought Linda's coffee talk was really interesting, how Tonique leaned her out, and that for her Tonique is taking it down a notch from what she was doing before. That made me laugh because Tonique is definitely towards the top of my toughest workouts, along with Dream Body, HoCo, etc. Linda's workout routine would not be moderate intensity for me, LOL I love that she does home workouts and follow her on Instagram for her thoughts/insight.
Old 09-07-19, 07:47 PM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Wow, Donatella, I am also impressed that you did Royale!! I had been doing Tonique for a while before Linda from Barlates started using those moves in her series. While I've done all of Linda's Tonique-style workouts, I don't find them as inspiring as the real Tonique. But it looks like they do serve a purpose for preparing you for Tonique.

As I mentioned in the previous Tonique thread, I prefer her non-DVD workouts. If I had to pick my top 3, they would be Costa Rica Paradise, Infinity 2, and Route 27. But there are so many good ones! If you were able to do Royale, you would also like Costa Rica Heat, Hawaii Get Lifted, and Hamptons Flow. I love those, but rarely have time for 90-minute workouts anymore. Hamptons Glow is also really good if you want to do some of her wall moves (legs are up the wall and you are balanced on your hands). Hamptons Sunset Express is like a mini-Royale.

I'm also surprised that the Hawaii DVD-R bundle has not been reduced in price. I am not sure how active Sylwia is on her Tonique website anymore (she seems to be super involved promoting her butt masks), but she has been pretty generous in the past. I emailed her one time and she gave me 30% off my download purchase, so maybe you can try that? The Hawaiis are very good, especially Euphoria and Electric Glow. Power of You is probably the easiest Tonique, but has a nice variety of exercises.

Bubbles, it would really depend what your goals are in terms of using Tonique in a rotation. In general her DVD workouts have a lot of cardio, move at a fast pace, and are mostly lower body (and core) focused. If you are just going to use the DVDs and not venture into her downloads, Femme Fatale Phase 3 is a good way to get more of a total body workout b/c she incorporates mini-handstands.

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 09:29 AM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
Ebianco has been a great source of information, as well as Christina. Donatella, I'm impressed you started with Royale. I've read that it is one of the more difficult and long workouts. I'm thinking of using sections of them as add-ons to start off. I'm not sure I can or want to do an entire workout yet. I rotate through Cathe, KCM, and Tracie so this is new for me. I've been doing Cathe's 100 rep challenge recently so hopefully that will help. I would love to hear suggestions and ideas. It will be fun to see how everyone uses them. It will also be fun to see which workouts people like and which ones end up on trade lists.
Thank you for reminding me what a great source Christina is, you are so right! That sounds like a good plan to start off with sections as add-ons. It's one reason I use Linda's workouts so much - most are around 30 - 40 minutes, so easy to mix and match or use as add-ons. Good point regarding potential trades, I had not thought of that!
Old 09-08-19, 09:36 AM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verine View Post

As I mentioned in the previous Tonique thread, I prefer her non-DVD workouts. If I had to pick my top 3, they would be Costa Rica Paradise, Infinity 2, and Route 27. But there are so many good ones! If you were able to do Royale, you would also like Costa Rica Heat, Hawaii Get Lifted, and Hamptons Flow. I love those, but rarely have time for 90-minute workouts anymore. Hamptons Glow is also really good if you want to do some of her wall moves (legs are up the wall and you are balanced on your hands). Hamptons Sunset Express is like a mini-Royale.

Christina
Thanks for all the great info on the non-DVD workouts - now I want to order everything! Wonder if Sylwia will ever offer streaming?

Tags
barlates, endurance 100, linda wooldridge, tonique