Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-18, 08:24 AM  
lorajc

Anyone Enjoy Piyo/or Is there Something Similar to Piyo's Concept that Hit's the Mark

Hi - I just can't bring myself to do this as it is just NOT what I had envisioned it to be after that advertised it. It seems to be more like workouts with a few yoga moves thrown in.

So basically --

Does anyone enjoy it? Is it just boring on preview?

Should I just look at it as a workout and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?

Is it extremely hard on your shoulders (even if you modify)?

And....have you found a better program that meets the criteria for a Pilates/Yoga fusion workout I don't know about?

Talk to me about this please..............Revisited ......I guess.....since they run this infomercial constantly and I'm a severe insomniac!!! LOL
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 08:51 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I have the Piyo set--I would not have bought it, but I got it extremely cheaply (I think I paid $3!) at a used book sale.

I do find Piyo to be more yoga than Pilates (there's almost no Pilates-type moves, even in the core workout), but the yoga is more like yoga inspired dynamic athletic stretching, if that makes sense. And yes, I DO think some of the workouts are quite hard on the shoulders! Chalene does A LOT of work supported on the hands--not just plank variations but down dog variations and a sort of crouching down dog. I pretty much don't like any of these moves and often skip them when they come up (good news is that the DVDs are well-chaptered). Read my review for details on which workouts are the worst for this.

Plus, I'm not a huge Chalene fan. She isn't TOO over the top here, but she does say some things over and over that bug me. And yet I've kept the set, LOL. However, I tend not to do the longer routines (Drench and Sweat) and use only a few. My favorite is Sculpt, which alternates between short cardio segments and toning intervals. I also like Buns. The main others that I do sometimes are Core (usually the standing portion only), Define Lower Body, and more rarely, Define Upper Body (this one is harder on the shoulders again, although short).

I hope that helps!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 08:51 AM  
leigh1673

Hate PiYo. I would choose Barre3 or Physique 57 any day of the week - and twice on Sunday - over PiYo.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 09:46 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I had Piyo. Really wanted to like the concept and had hoped it would be like a "zupped up" Ellen Barrett.

In reality, the workouts just didn't flow. Odd warm ups, awkward moves. Very wrist and shoulder intensive. I can't even say I liked the beginner workouts, and the intermediate and advanced workouts were a lot of impact...yes you can modify but when you're modifying everything, IDK. Chalene isn't as over the top as usual, but I just didn't care for the workouts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:17 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

PiYo was awful, IMO. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

You could try Ellen Barrett for fusion workouts. I have to say, though, that I find her workouts really hard on knees, shoulders, and lower back. I have tried several and they just aren't right for me. I'm probably in the minority. Lots of people love her and her workouts; maybe you (Lora) would be one of them.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:22 AM  
PhyllisG

Wanted to like Piyo but couldn't. Actually disliked it. Thought the concept was great but it really didn't live up to hype. Someone just offered it to me and I refused it.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:51 AM  
sherry7899

I did not like it all. It was way too hard on my shoulders. The moves had no flow. I sold it on VF Roost.

I think Jessica Smith has a few pilates/yoga fusion workouts on her you tube channel.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I definitely agree about the moves being hard on wrists and shoulders, but I kind of disagree about the moves not flowing. I do think the workouts were well choreographed and flowed--I just didn't like a lot of the movements.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 11:22 AM  
Scorpio6

Have you tried "Yogalosophy" by Mandy Ingber? She has the book out plus the dvd has been out a few years. She combines yoga, toning moves, and some Pilates, esp with abdominal stuff. You can modify up or down, only do the 35 min workout or the 55 min.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 11:26 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I may not have given them a decent enough try, but I wasn't motivated to finish sampling the DVDs (I also got them cheap used, and wouldn't have picked them up otherwise). I guess I was envisioning an easier version of Michelle Dozois' Body 360 workouts, very fusion-y, or maybe an easier version of Dream Body workouts. Or even a spinoff of Buti yoga workouts which more fun/dancey moves integrated into the routine. Something more creative and challenging than what they are

It's not necessarily Chalene/Beachbody's fault that I expected something more challenging, however the infomercial does sort of suggest that the workouts are more intense than they actually are (at least IMO).

FWIW I like Chalene and enjoy her Turbo Jam/Fire workouts. I ended up trading away CLX but I liked her personality in that set too.

Tags
piyo