Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-15, 05:27 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Do any of you do Toniques 5 days a week? If so do you have a rotation? If you do please share!

About once a year, I have a ToniqueFest where I do Tonique all week for one week, but usually I only do Tonique once a week. Sylwia created some rotations a couple of years ago, so they wouldn't include her latest ones, Hawaii and Costa Rico. She created them after she put out BTM.

I'll try to find it and post it here.

ETA: Here's the link to Sylwia's old rotations. I'm sure it would be easy to sub in some of her newer ones. Just to be clear the "1,2,3" correspond to weeks. In other words, she's not expecting you to do 3 workouts in a day.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...hlight=tonique
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 06:02 PM  
catcrazy

Deleted
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 08:56 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Do any of you do Toniques 5 days a week? If so do you have a rotation? If you do please share!
I used to do Tonique 4-5x/week, but these days I do it 3x/week, alternating with yoga. I find that Tonique is pretty intense, so alternating it with something that is not as hard works well for my body.

If I were to do it 4-5x/week again, I would try to alternate the upper-body focused Toniques (Royale, Get Lifted, Electric Glow, Paradise) with the workouts that target the lower body more (BTM, Femme Fatale, Euphoria, Heat). I also would make an effort to vary the lengths of the workout so that I'm not doing the 90-minute workouts more than once or twice per week.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 09:56 AM  
LeanneM

It's fun to hear about how everyone is using the workouts!

Carb8985, that's a great idea to balance them like that!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 02:00 PM  
sophiesmom

Ugh. Every time she puts out something I try to resist.

"Get Dirty" sounds great.

Did anyone see this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w...b_7699190.html

The title is cringe-y but Sylwia is featured and looks like her usual beautiful self!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 02:17 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom View Post
Ugh. Every time she puts out something I try to resist.

"Get Dirty" sounds great.

Did anyone see this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w...b_7699190.html

The title is cringe-y but Sylwia is featured and looks like her usual beautiful self!
Yes, Sylwia posted the link on her FB page. At least, the guy admitted that he got his butt kicked by Sylwia.

I know that there are some women on the Tonique FB page that do Tonique everyday. They also do the really long ones like FF, Heat, Royale, and Get Lifted. I know that they built up to doing that. I don't because I like too many other workouts. I also prefer to do Tonique in 45 minute chunks.
Old 07-23-15, 05:49 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I did Heat this week. As others have mentioned, it has more standing lower body work. That means for me, it's easier than Royale and Get Lifted since it has less upper body exercises, e.g. push-ups. But there is still enough upper body work in it.

Previously, I mentioned that I use my round yoga mat since Sylwia has been using the floor more. There is one set of moves where I needed more space than my mat. This is o.k. for me since I went outside the mat for standing portion. However, I wanted to describe the sequence so that VFers that haven't done Tonique can see how she combines exercises.

1) Do a side lunge.
2) Chasse over so that you do a side lunge to the other side.
3) Go to a downward dog position and lift the outside leg.
4) Place that leg down so that your foot ends below the calf of the other leg. Do a one-legged push-up.
5) Go to downward dog position and lift that leg up again and then place your foot by your hand and end up in a low lunge.
6) Lift your upper body up so that you end up in a side lunge.
7) Chasse over so that you end up in a side lunge to the other side. This is your starting position (Step 1). Keep repeating these steps for a lot of reps.
Old 07-24-15, 10:03 AM  
LeanneM

Thanks for sharing that breakdown, Helen! She keeps coming up with more and more creative moves!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-15, 04:54 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
I think I may be in the minority, but I really love her longer workouts best . I'm glad she hasn't eliminated those for shorter workouts exclusively.
I love the longer ones as well -- 80 minutes is my "sweet spot," 90 is still a bit of a stretch on Femme Fatale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I did Heat this week. As others have mentioned, it has more standing lower body work. That means for me, it's easier than Royale and Get Lifted since it has less upper body exercises, e.g. push-ups. But there is still enough upper body work in it.

Previously, I mentioned that I use my round yoga mat since Sylwia has been using the floor more. There is one set of moves where I needed more space than my mat. This is o.k. for me since I went outside the mat for standing portion. However, I wanted to describe the sequence so that VFers that haven't done Tonique can see how she combines exercises.

1) Do a side lunge.
2) Chasse over so that you do a side lunge to the other side.
3) Go to a downward dog position and lift the outside leg.
4) Place that leg down so that your foot ends below the calf of the other leg. Do a one-legged push-up.
5) Go to downward dog position and lift that leg up again and then place your foot by your hand and end up in a low lunge.
6) Lift your upper body up so that you end up in a side lunge.
7) Chasse over so that you end up in a side lunge to the other side. This is your starting position (Step 1). Keep repeating these steps for a lot of reps.
I did all 90 minutes of Heat last night for the first time, and I loved it. Thanks Helen for the heads-up about this combo; I forwarded ahead and viewed it before I did the workout. She has two combos in this that are a little tricky, but not overly complicated. Lol-she gives you plenty of reps to get them down! [It seems to me that she simplified the second combo when she went to the other leg--I will try and remember that next time.]

Heat felt a lot like Royale to me, with more standing moves. It seemed to me, though, that Heat was about half standing and half bent over. It was hard to use weights (Sylwia doesn’t use them) after the first series of standing moves because the moves are up and down. I gave up on the weights and did most of the workout without them.

I really enjoyed the wall workout—the last few moves are very much like Sway; your legs are braced against the wall at an angle and you move one leg up and down in a few different positions. The final move was killer for me — especially since my legs were fatigued.

I agree that Heat is not as hard as Femme Fatale or Royale. There are some really hard spots, but your arms get a lot of breaks. I didn't have any trouble making it through the whole workout.

I did notice on my download that Sylwia is a little out of focus — is this the case on everyone else’s? The trees are in perfect focus, but Sylwia’s body is a little blurred at times. She is also dressed in camo colors, so she really blends in with the scenery! That wasn’t a huge problem, but there were some side or back kicks where I wasn’t quite sure where she was placing the kicking leg.

Thank you to everyone who posted reviews of this; I am glad I got it and I will really enjoy adding this in on my Tonique days!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 01:21 PM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
(Also posted in the Tonique check-in):

Today I did Tonique Costa Rica Paradise. I loved the length. 63 minutes is perfect.

This workout deceived me on preview, because it starts with squats and lunges, but really the leg moves end there. This workout is pretty much a Tonique "arm" workout. There are only a couple of lunge/squat moves interspersed after the warm-up. The majority of the workout is done in plank and downward-dog. There are TONS (and I mean TONS) of push-up variations (e.g., pushup to side lunge reach, kick to pushup to opposite leg extension). If you have weak wrists or do not like floor work, do NOT get this workout.

There were lots of complex moves where I had to watch Sylwia for a couple of reps to make sure I was doing it correctly. There are also lots of moves that really work the core and balance (e.g., the "break dancing" move from Royale and some new variations on that move). My arms were really worked after.

For those that have the Hawaii series, it reminded me of a hybrid of Get Lifted and Everybody Rocks.

Another thing to note is that Sylwia does not alternate sides here, except for the squats/kicks in the warm-up. She does approx. 30 minutes on one side and then 30 minutes on the other, so there isn't any stopping point.

ETA: I also wanted to mention that I found this workout to be REALLY hard and I've been doing Tonique for almost two years. I've been focusing on Royale and the Hawaii series for the last few months, and I still found this to be a step up from those. I don't know if it's because the moves were new or more complex. It may get easier after the first few times that I do it, but I had to take lots of breaks. I wouldn't recommend this one for a newbie to Tonique or for someone who hasn't mastered Royale.
Okay today I finally downloaded Paradise and Get Dirty. I decided to do Paradise. Carb you are right that it's very arm intensive. Also, Sylwia gets right into those weight bearing arm moves with leg lifts right away, which is similar to Everybody Rocks and Energy Glow. I was actually relieved when she threw in a third move to a set of movements because it would give my arms a break. For example, she did a down dog rear leg lift to a legs crossed pushup to a down dog leg lift to a standing side lunge kick. The standing side lunge kid was my happy break. I feel like I worked my legs but differently, with all those leg raises in down dog. Heat is more standing upright leg work, if that makes sense.

I have been doing Tonique for a very long time and I thought Paradise was very arm and shoulder challenging. However, I think after a few times, it will get easier for me. That's what happened to me with Energy Glow and Everybody Rocks. They are shorter though. The Tonique that took me months to get comfortable with is Royale. It just had moves that were very challenging for my body. That was the Tonique workout that got me to do crossed over legs push-ups. I finally figured out that only one foot tip is touching the floor during the pushup, so it's a more natural rocking forward motion for me now.

Paradise was hard for me also because Sylwia is limited in her body position by the area she has on that wood strip on the boat to work out. I like to mirror image her movements but the angle she is turned on made me have to think carefully about my own movements. Sometimes she is sideways and other times facing away. Toward the end she moves from the wood strip to the more open boat area and it's easier to follow her movements.

I looked at Get Dirty and I think I will really enjoy it. Right now Heat is my favorite one, though. Acescholar I did notice that Heat has alittle fuzziness plus I can't fast forward my download if I want to skip to the Wall workout. I'm not sure if it's how I downloaded it or something on my end of things. I don't have that problem with any of her other downloads.

Have a nice Sunday, Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tonique