Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-15, 11:41 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Thanks Cheri. I think I might give it a try.
Old 06-26-15, 01:29 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I have the 28 to great set (or whatever it is called!) and I liked it which is why I tried streaming. . . My first streaming experience was with SBF and I found that I really loved it. There's such a huge variety available. And streaming workouts just feel less professional/polished and more personal/spontaneous (at least with SBF; I am finding the Barre3 streaming workouts are almost as polished/professional as the dvds!).
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 02:26 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
I use 3 lbs. There is no way I could do that workout- or most other Barre3 workouts- with higher weight. Sometimes I use no weights at all, and I find that I work even harder without props!

As Cheri said, all of the workouts work everything, but Mind Body Balance and Studio Fit are two that come to mind that have more intensive seat sections. interval Strength has a long combo and seat section that I also find slays my glutes.
Thanks!
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 02:36 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Definitely Studio Fit. I did that recently and called it Death by the Ball. It adds a different dimension to glute work. I also find the second Standing Slim to hit the glutes quite well. I did Studio Power yesterday and my glutes are a bit toasty today due to the incline carousel and fold-over work.
Thanks!
Old 07-01-15, 06:25 AM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
WOOHOO! Welcome to the Barre3 club!

The first thing I have to say about them is they get harder as you get better at them, so don't worry about choosing ones that are too hard. Despite being "advanced" in other workouts when I started, I found them pretty easy at first. Nowadays I literally drip sweat through most of them. Even a tiny inch of modification to your form can make things a lot harder, but you don't have to do that at first. To get deeper, try moving smaller and smaller. I barely move nowadays and that's when I really start to shake.

I do Barre3 at lunch time, usually. I can almost always fit in 30 minutes in my office, but sometimes I can do 40 or even 60 minutes depending on the patient schedule. I have a core ball and hand held weights that I keep in my cabinet in my office. If I don't have time, I'll still do 10 minutes if I can.

That said, I have done... well, pretty much all of them. Here are some brief impressions of my favorites. I need to compile this together somehow. I hope these comments are useful. I started doing full breakdowns of them at one point but found it too time consuming.

60 Minutes

If I were you, the next one I would try is probably Studio Fit. Lisa takes it at a steady pace, not too slow and not too fast. It's a great workout that I've done many times, and it's balanced- plenty of front and back body work. Lisa is a particularly clear instructor and will help you perfect your form. There are a couple moves that may be a little tougher to connect to, like the standing levers, but you'll get it after some practice.

Studio Strength, on the other hand, is IMO the hardest online streaming workout on there, so it's not the one I would start with! The others can be very difficult if you work hard, but Studio Strength is hard no matter what, especially the combo section. The carousel horse segments seems to go on forever. I've done that one many times as well. I have to avoid doing it during my lunch hour because I get too sweaty.

Anyway, after you try Studio Fit, I'd try Fierce and Fun and maybe start with the "fun" options. Sadie is such a meticulous instructor that she'll also help you perfect your form. Fierce and Fun has tons of "classic" Barre3 movements in the workout. Some of the sections are pretty grueling, particularly the incline carousel horse segment, but Sadie will help you connect to them.

Studio To Go is probably my absolute favorite. It is prop free but a total burner. There are lots of "cardio blasts" (low impact, large range of motion movements like sumo squats). Even the stretching segments keep my heart rate up. This is one of my favorites because the pacing is perfect- things keep moving, the reps on each side are even, it doesn't seem like the reps are endless, and Catie especially is an amazing instructor with lots of form pointers. The other two are a little weaker on the form pointers so it might be better to do this one after you've done some of the others, and the balance requirements make it hard to maintain good form. It is a fairly quad heavy workout.

Studio Balance is almost a tie with Studio To Go for my favorite. Candace is so graceful and she also pushes you really hard in this workout. It looks deceptively easy, NOT a lot of advanced moves, but if you try the balance options, you will sweat and breathe hard. The other thing I like about this one is the pacing is very fast, like a live class. There doesn't seem to be a single wasted moment. On the other hand, I feel that I need a little more stretching than this one provides, so I'll pause sometimes and stretch my quads before continuing. Also, although Candace is fantastic, she doesn't give the in-depth form pointers that some of the other instructors do. This one's also quad heavy.

Studio Power is another awesome one. I find this one to be a great burner, and I LOVE all 3 instructors so I find myself doing this one quite a bit too. My favorite part of this one is that they keep the motion pretty slow, which IMO makes things a lot harder because you can't use momentum. Although horse pose doesn't always get me, in this one, it really does. I also found the core section to be particularly effective. Allison really gets your core in this one. I think it would be good for someone new to Barre3 because the instruction is so good.

Finally, I do Power Sculpt pretty regularly. It is also quite challenging, especially the power leg to incline seated chair segment- lots of reps, lots of shakes, and lots of burn. Again, Sadie is such a meticulous instructor and moves at a steady pace so it's easy to follow along, but this one will make you sweat.

I've done the others but was less keen on them, especially Studio Body (a little too restorative for me and pacing was slow), Studio Burn (VERY chatty, lots of uneven reps, drives me nuts), and Studio Shape (25 out of 60 minutes was core- too long for me).

40 Minutes

Instructor Favorites is a great workout with lots of classic Barre3 movements. I think Lisa does an awesome job with form pointers but Kate is a little weak in this area despite her good energy, so I'd do it after you've had some practice with the poses.

Interval Strength will slay you. It's comprised heavily of cardio blasts and high intensity (low impact, of course) movements like power leg, so be prepared to work. I wouldn't recommend this to a Barre3 beginner.

If you want something a little different, Mind Body Balance is an excellent, excellent workout. It starts off feeling restorative but after the first few minutes ramps up. I find the combo and seat sections to be very challenging. Catie is also a fabulous instructor. I feel completely restored and happily worked after doing this one. I'm not much of a yoga fan so I was surprised by how much I like it.

None of the other 40 minute ones are ones I particularly care for. In fact, I pretty much never do them.

30 Minutes

This is where Barre3 really shines- effective, short, fun but intense workouts.

If you want a challenge, I'd start with Sizzler. Harper is a great instructor with lots of form pointers and she paces this workout well. It is a BURNER, though, with very little core work and lots of quad and glute work, so you might consider it to be less "balanced" than some of the others. I personally prefer the ones with shorter core sections, so this is one of my go-to workouts.

Total Body Tone and Total Body Rev are both very challenging, balanced workouts. I wouldn't recommend these to a beginner, though, because they're designed to be more "advanced" and Heidi focuses more on upping the intensity than working deep in your form. I do them frequently.

Re-Energize is seriously fun and one of my all-time favorites. It really does make me smile and feel refreshed, but it is a great workout at the same time and will get you sweating. There are NOT endless reps in this one but the large range of motion movements will help keep your heart rate up. Three instructors in 30 minutes makes it fly by. I do this one frequently.

No Props is VERY quad intensive and less balanced than the others, IMO. It is a nice, tough little workout that I sometimes do in the park. I usually combine it with Mat Workout to make a balanced 60 minute workout. I find Mat Workout to be a little too easy on its own. Together, they're perfect. These have good instruction but don't have as many form pointers as I'd like for someone unfamiliar with Barre3, so I wouldn't start with these.

Travel Friendly is another one of my go-tos since I can do it anywhere and it's quite challenging. It contains lots of my nemesis, carousel horse. Candace is very motivating and has beautiful form, though as I've mentioned, she goes less into detail about form than some of the other instructors. I really love this workout, though, and I've probably done it the most of any of the 30 minutes since it's portable.

Finally, Ballet Boot Camp is like a composite of all of the classic Barre3 moves in one condensed, intense 30 minute workout. The weakness in this one is very little stretching, so be prepared to add your own. As a result, I wouldn't start with this one.

I also like Length, since again, Lisa is a great instructor. This one has a lot of core (about 12 minutes out of a 30 minute workout) so I don't do it often, but it would probably be a great one to do as someone new to Barre3.

None of the others appeal to me as much as the ones I listed. I find both Runner's Workouts to be more restorative and focused on stretching, which I do on my own. The Standing Slims are nice to change things up and are good workouts but not as challenging as some of the others. I've done all the others except for Bounce Back and Prenatal.

THanks!
Old 04-08-16, 12:23 PM  
Elle K

Just for any other streaming barre3 users out there.. the new Tone + Balance is a glute party.. with a nice stretched release feeling by the end. Lisa is definitely become my most likely to succeed instructor
Elle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 12:54 PM  
antbuko

Thanks Elle! I will try it soon.
Old 04-08-16, 01:44 PM  
54sneakers
VF Supporter

Thanks for the heads up Elle...love my Barre 3 Streaming!
54sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 01:50 PM  
pricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle K View Post
Just for any other streaming barre3 users out there.. the new Tone + Balance is a glute party.. with a nice stretched release feeling by the end. Lisa is definitely become my most likely to succeed instructor
Yes!! I did this workout the other day and loved it!! Lisa is a great instructor!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 02:12 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I'll have to try it tomorrow. I've neglected my Barre3 streaming.....

Tags
barre3, barre3 descriptions, momentum