Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-13, 02:36 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

How Do You Use Ultimate Yogi?

I caved on UY when I read that thread about the price on Amazon. I hate yoga, but I know many of you have experienced much better sleep with UY and I really struggle with insomnia.

I did Flexibility last night and Cross Training today. I actually kind of enjoyed them! But good grief, they're LONG. I'm not willing to give up my other workouts, so I can't see myself doing them exclusively.

For those of you who didn't/don't follow the rotation calendar, how often did you do UY? I'm thinking I could maybe swing bits of it 3-4x/week. If you didn't do it as prescribed, did you still experience better sleep?

V. curious about others' experiences. TIA!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 06:38 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I'm interested in the answers, too. The length of the workouts is what is discouraging (although now I have to go check out Amazon ). I don't do an hour of anything anymore. I have an idea, though, that with winter coming, this may be a good time and method for me to develop some discipline.
Old 11-06-13, 08:24 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, Mopsy, they're very long. It's a major downer. I do like Travis better than I thought I would, though, which besides the length was my major concern.
Old 11-06-13, 10:05 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I would never be able to stick to an entire rotation of yoga, personally. I was really good for awhile at getting one Ultimate Yogi workout in a week but then that fell by the wayside. However, what I DO consistently do is I use Ultimate Yogi during my back off/recovery weeks...which I just happen to be doing this week! I try to plan a recovery week every 6 weeks but more often it ends up being every 7 (or...erm at times 8 ). I did Yin Yoga Monday, Detox yesterday and Flexibility is on the schedule for Friday.
Old 11-06-13, 10:24 PM  
iheartsts

I try to do one or two a week when I can. I just love Travis...The days I do UY, I do my regular workout in the morning, and at night take an hour and do UY right before bed.

Regarding sleep... I always sleep better when I exercise regularly, no matter what kind of exercise I do, but I do go to bed super relaxed and mellow when I do yoga right before bed.
Old 11-07-13, 05:56 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsts View Post
I try to do one or two a week when I can. I just love Travis...The days I do UY, I do my regular workout in the morning, and at night take an hour and do UY right before bed.

Regarding sleep... I always sleep better when I exercise regularly, no matter what kind of exercise I do, but I do go to bed super relaxed and mellow when I do yoga right before bed.
Maybe doing before bed is key, then. I slept pretty well after doing flexibility right before bed! but not so well last night. I had done cross train in the afternoon. I'm afraid to do the more strenuous ones so close to bedtime, though... Hmmmmm....
Old 11-07-13, 06:52 AM  
herya

I think that the good sleep effect is related to the arc of a typical class - with effort in the middle, then winding down to relaxation; all accompanied by breath awareness and control. If you skip relaxation, for example, you're likely to find yourself jittery and out of sorts as the practice won't be completed.

If it's too long to do the whole hour, I would recommend skipping flow or section repetitions (taking stuff out of the middle part) rather than shortening by skipping the end. I posted breakdowns of some (most?) classes on the original UY thread - wherever you see "repeat 3x", just do the first one and fast forward through the rest. But it's important to keep the arc intact if you're looking for mental benefits!
Old 11-07-13, 11:51 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Thank you, Marta. That's a great suggestion. I'll just ff through some of the middle bits if I need to.
Old 11-07-13, 11:51 AM  
gmac

I just received this today and was trying to figure out how to incorporate these. I enjoy mixing days doing kettlebell workouts and either running/jump roping. I am limited on time so I am not sure how to throw these into the rotation.
Old 11-07-13, 01:04 PM  
katmom

I only do 1-2 days of yoga. For example this week, I am doing a rotation of Kettlebell Kickboxing (The Body Series). I scheduled Legs and Arms on Mo-Tu, Butt and Abs on Th-Fr with yoga on We and Sa.

Tags
doing as renda said, sleep, ultimate yogi