Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-19, 02:52 AM  
Taiga

Fun Mobility Work

Primitive Functional Movement® - Group Workout
----not in English but it hardly matters in this case. This is a short/fun mobility warm-up that kind of reminds me of Animal Conditioning (Greg M.) and classic MMA (if you like Joey Alvarado etc). I just really like the moves they choose.

This level 2 tutorial is also fun. They have several other fun clips if you follow the youtube prompts but most are tutorials (as opposed to concise follow along format).
Old 10-13-19, 09:12 AM  
buffmama

Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it - thank you!
Old 10-13-19, 11:55 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

My hat is seriously off to anyone who can do those moves. They would be a skeletal blitzkrieg for my aging body!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 12:13 PM  
anetta

Thank you, I will have to try this.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 01:39 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
My hat is seriously off to anyone who can do those moves. They would be a skeletal blitzkrieg for my aging body!
Which part gives you pause? If it is the deck squats and pivoting kicks, just leave them out. People often get intimidated by those moves as they can take more mobility and strength than most people have when first starting. Steve Maxwell, Scott Sonnon, Dasha Libin (KB complexes) and Tracy Long all have mobility work--- some of which starts more gradually and offers modifications. I think I would be super creaky without mobility work. It really does keep stiffness and injury away. I just purchased Mark Lauren's mobility stuff (have not previewed yet) and am looking forward to seeing if he has any more to offer. I most likely won't be able to get to it until Christmas break but feel excited to have it in the line-up. I love dynamic stretching, pilates, yoga, ballet etc but mobility work seems to do the best job at keeping me supple. Of course it does have moves inspired by those other disciplines.

FYI----I do terrible on Essentrics. Makes me feel like my body has been beaten with a bag of rocks lol. The only Essentrics dvd that didn't outright cause me trouble was Essentrics Stretch Series volume 1 (the instructors seem less chatty and more focused on precise instruction at a careful pace). It didn't hurt me but I can't say I made any gains on it either. I only mention this because so many people have reported excellent results with it. Just offering hope to those folks whose bodies don't respond to these techniques.

ETA: If Greg Mihovich offered his newer stuff on DVD, I would so be all over that. I got a lot of mileage off his Animal Conditioning DVD years back. He just has a good choice of moves and nice sequencing. Unfortunately, my system is obsolete and even downloads are difficult to use regularly. As I live in a rural/mountainous region, even getting the constant security updates needed for newer computers to function can make it difficult to depend on them. Streaming has never worked (mb a 10 minute Ballet Beautiful with plenty of pauses for buffering). And I do not have a TV that accepts a memory stick. If any program would inspire me to figure out a viable solution, it would be this one! I'm hindered by the fact that I love an easy dvd and don't live in an area that makes it easy to convert.
Old 10-14-19, 01:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Primitive Functional "Advanced" Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Which part gives you pause? ...
Well, the word "advanced" always give me pause. I didn't see that until I started the video.

Bear in mind that I had a vertebral compression fracture last year, so many of these moves are a no go. Even before my injury, I would never have done that twisty "SpinalRock/Wave" plough-type move. Yikes!

I enjoy mobility work, but do more slow and gentle moves.

I've never tried Essentrics. I think I previewed it once and it wasn't my cup of tea.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 06:23 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I think the video is interesting. I too, will skip that spinal-rock-wave thing if I tried it. Anything else similar?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
primal, primal movements, primitive movement