Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-19, 09:19 AM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Toniques Released in 2018

I recently got back to doing Tonique 3-4x per week after a hiatus. I see that there are reviews of some of the Mexico and Peru workouts in ebianco’s extensive thread (http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...eferrerid=5234), but I don’t see any reviews of Sylwia’s most recent releases from 2018. I only did each of the three workouts once, so my impressions may change over time, but you can see my mini reviews/notes below. For reference, my favorite Toniques are the Costa Rica series, Infinity 2, Hamptons Flow, Route 27, and Whipped.

Overall, my favorite of the three new ones was Argentina. All three have stopping points to make the lengths shorter: Argentina can be stopped before the push-up series and makes a 48 min workout; Uruguay and LA Girl change sides frequently, so you can make your own stopping point, one as soon as 25 min. They all have lots of handstands and the dreaded “split push-up” (slide leg out while in plank and then do push-up) that first started appearing in the Mexico series. While Tonique has a lot of hard moves that can be mastered over time, I have no desire to practice that split push-up. I couldn’t do a split when I was a kid, nor do I want to attempt one now, and I’m afraid I may pull a groin muscle since my hip flexors are tight. One thing to note is that she goes out of sequence in all three workouts, and at times also forgets which move comes next. I know she has done that in previous releases (I have done all her workouts), but not to the same extent. I never count reps as I go at my own pace, but even I could tell that the reps were very imbalanced in parts. LA Girl had the most problems in terms of being imbalanced and Sylwia forgetting the moves; it also has two newer and harder variations of that push-up split. For these reasons, I’m not sure I will be doing LA Girl again anytime soon.

Tonique Uruguay 66 min

Filmed on a deck overlooking green scenery; Sylwia is barefoot

Changes sides frequently and can shorten workout. First major circuit switching left and right ends at about 25 min. Lots of moves with handstands and Sylwia tells you to practice doing a push up while in handstand, and then later a split while your legs are in the air (“yeah, right” immediately came to mind in both those instances—not going to happen for me!). It was sometimes hard to follow what she was doing, esp later in the workout, b/c of the angle, and it seems like some of the moves on the second side were slightly different. This workout has the push-up split move. I can’t recall if this is a new move, but while in downdog, she does leg circles in and out; I find that difficult b/c I have tight hip flexors. The last 9 minutes or so she is making up as she goes along, so it includes some freestyle dancing, some more typical squats and leg lifts, and again that push-up split. The time went by fast and it didn’t feel like she stayed on one side too long.

Tonique Argentina 66 min

Filmed on a courtyard in a hotel setting overlooking the city

Stays on one side for 24 minutes and then changes. Includes squat and kick combinations, handstand combinations with lunges and leg raises, “breakdance” moves similar to those in Paradise. Last 18 min are primarily push-up combinations with some handstands. Includes the push-up split. Second side does not follow the same order as the first and omits one or two exercises. The first 48 minutes flew by, but the push-ups at the end seemed to go on forever. This last section can either be omitted or shortened to keep the total workout under 60 min.

Tonique LA Girl 66 min

Filmed on hotel rooftop with bright sunrise in the background

First 25 min—squats, kicks, and handstand combinations and changes sides. I am pretty sure one of the moves on the second side is actually done on the first leg again, and she screws up one of the transitions. The next 40 min are a completely different workout, with lots of crouching, mini handstands, and two different types of split push up moves. She has you crouch in squat position and then slide one leg out and forward and then do a push-up. There is no way I can do that (nor do I want to for fear of a groin injury), so I would crouch and then scissor jump one of my legs forward (still keeping that knee bent and foot on the ground), and then do a shallow push-up in that position. The other split push-up has you in plank and then both legs go out to the side. I couldn’t think of a good way to modify this one, so I mostly skipped it. Around the 41 min mark, she does a combo that is very hard to follow b/c she turns around with her back facing the camera. It took me a long time to figure out what she was doing, and then a few minutes into that move, she turns around facing forward so you can actually follow her (that was frustrating). The move isn’t too hard to grasp, but the angle was really problematic. It’s a side lunge, back leg lift, “breakdance” move, then a handstand. The second side of this 40 min section is completely out of sequence, and she omits several of the combinations that were done on the first side. She also screws up several times, and on a few occasions, she abruptly stops and goes back to the previous move (maybe to gather her thoughts?). I almost never mind slip-ups, esp in a workout with as many reps as Tonique, but honestly I think she should have redone the whole workout.

--Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 07:12 PM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

Thank you for posting. I have LA Girl ,Argentina, Uruguay but have not done yet. I love Tonique and I actually favorite the same previous releases as you. I do like the split push ups but splits come easy to me and always have so no special credit there , just how Im built and where Im loose. I really wish sh would keep both sides even. If that meant workouts cost more, fine. I love Sylwia but go into a workout knowing I better pay attention if I want to work evenly and ignore when she falters
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 07:18 AM  
Sweetsal

Thanks for this. I’ve just started back with Tonique after a few months of streaming TA. Great to know about Sylwia’s newer offerings. It seems like she’s focusing more on her butt masks and hasn’t been as putting out as many workouts.
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 02:37 PM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Yes, I am hoping that she will continue to produce Tonique workouts, even if it is just one new set per year. Pretty much all her posts these days are about her butt masks. Supposedly she filmed some new material while she was in Costa Rica a few months ago. I haven't liked her newest workouts (the ones I reviewed above, plus the Peru and Mexico series) as much as the older ones, so we'll see what she comes up with this year.
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:40 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Verine Thank you for your reviews!! I'm glad to hear there are stopping points too!! You hit the nail on the head for why I haven't really been into the newer workouts. The dreaded split pushup move, which she seems to really use a lot now, and the workouts seem a little more free flow and less structured than her older workouts (missed reps, different exercises, etc.). I also wish she would make workouts that are slightly easier (on her scale of easy), and more doable timeframe for me (more like 45 minutes) and they just keep getting longer/harder, it seems LOL

I appreciate that she keeps putting out downloads, but she does seem preoccupied with her butt mask (great for her though!) and it seems like it's been a long time between new workouts. I think I'll wait for reviews the next time she puts new workouts out, unless they are shorter. I have been following Linda (Barlates) on instagram and she does a lot of Tonique workouts, so I've been able to read reviews there.

Tags
everything tonique, tonique, tonique reviews