Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-14, 07:14 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Long lost but not forgotten --videos by the wayside

The "what was your first workout" thread got me to thinking about workouts that are lost-lost but not forgotten, workouts that never should've gone by the wayside, that got lost, most likely, in the transition from VHS to DVD (or are otherwise unavailable.)

I remember Denise Austin's Stretch and Flex. It was one of the most THOROUGH slow stretches ever. Never made it to DVD. Another one is Denise's Totally Firm, which was (if you could stand Denise herself, which some people can't) a very thorough, organized, SLOW lifting video.

The Tae Bo Lives. Such a shame they didn't make it to DVD. I still have a few of them.

Gay's Greatest Step Workout, which I think was her first (?) CIA back in 2001 or so? It is still around on VHS (heck, I still HAVE it myself on VHS although I have no VHS player) but never transferred to dvd format that I am aware of and thus, goodbye, on the trash heap of history.

What workouts have you lost but not forgotten? Don't forget to search youtube for them; I actually found Denise's Totally Firm on youtube a couple months ago! Never occurred to me to look for Stretch and Flex. That would be a great one to revisit.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 07:35 AM  
Sara1000

I have a VHS player so I still use some of my VHS workouts. The ones I haven't used in a long time I still think I might use again someday or I wouldn't keep them.

One I still get out occasionally is CIA 9806 with sisters Shannon Anderson and Alison Boyd.

BTW you can but a VHS player pretty cheap if you don't want to give up on some of those VHS workouts you still have. I have enough that I bought a new player a couple of years ago just to use for workouts.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 07:37 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I have Denise Austin's Totally Firm on VHS. I have contemplated getting rid of it a few times but so far have not. It used to be a favorite of mine, I still think it's a fine weight training video, but the uneven reps bug me a little. Maybe I need to revisit it though, after experimenting with functional fitness for a couple of years I have gone back to basics with my strength training.

My favorites that didn't make it to DVD are Jane Fonda's two step videos, I continue to pray that she will put these on DVD but am losing hope. I also like her Workout w/Weights and her Lower Body Solution. Others include Denise Austin's Step Workout, Cory Everson GHAS, and my Buns of Steel Step 2000 that came with the purple step, I actually have two copies of this VHS. I also like Gilad's Arms of Steel and Esquire Step Aerobics. I do my DVDs mostly these days but once in a while I will do a short vintage rotation, where I pull all these out.

Step was my favorite form of cardio for a long time, I still enjoy it but believe it or not I like these older step workouts than many of the more recent ones. Maybe that's why I don't do it as much as I used to, the early 90's was the Golden Era for step I think.

Great thread! I will be watching this one to see the other replies.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 07:38 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Not a forgotten video for me, since I just did it a few months ago, but I just wanted to chime in about Gay Gasper's Greatest Step Workout. Love her personality in this one. I rarely do the strength training section at the end, but I do enjoy the step portion.

So many other great VHS workouts that were never released on DVD and I am sure are now forgotten. Too bad the old CIAs were never re-released.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 07:42 AM  
PhyllisG

Cory Everson. I am not sure I have her name correct but she had some great workouts.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 08:20 AM  
Mickey12

My lost but not forgotten workout is Your Personal Best with Karen Voight and Elle MacPherson. I think it was one of the first ones I had that was filmed outside and I loved the scenery. It was one that was copy protected so I couldn't transfer it to DVD. However, I actually did get it transferred to DVD by a nice VFer who also transferred by Tao Bo Lives because I loved those too.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 08:24 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I still have a VCR in my exercise room. Too many VHS tapes I love and won't give up. Plus I occasionally pick up a used old-but-new-to-me video that I find out about here and there. Old videos are often so much more FUN than new ones.

No way I'm working out if it's not fun.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 08:36 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
My lost but not forgotten workout is Your Personal Best with Karen Voight and Elle MacPherson.
Kim
OH MY, how could I forget that one! And what was the name of the beginner workout with Linda Evans. . . I remember I used to pull it out when I was sick. Gosh, who was the fitness pro she did that with?? Kari Anderson, I think. It was also filmed outdoors, like YPB. That's why it came to mind, they were similar format (fitness pro + star) and both had outdoor settings.

A NEW YOU!! --wasn't that it? Gosh I'd love to have that one back. Heck, I'm about that age now! HAHA.
Old 03-16-14, 08:37 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
No way I'm working out if it's not fun.
A-bsolutely-MEN!!!!!!
Old 03-16-14, 08:45 AM  
Eibhinn

Pretty much anything released by Minna Lessig (although it was all released on DVD). I have no idea why everything she ever made went out of print. I really wanted 1 minute body, but it seemed to be released and then go out of print within three months or something, and then every copy I ever found was more than I am willing to pay. Oddly, I just checked Amazon.com for it and there is a seller offering it for $11 currently, but like so many independent sellers on Amazon now, they refuse to ship to Canada. And on Amazon.ca it's $43.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Cory Everson. I am not sure I have her name correct but she had some great workouts.
I first heard about Cory Everson's Get Hard Arms and Shoulders when I was in the process of getting rid of my VHS tapes and player and converting to DVD. I just assumed that it would eventually get released on DVD and kept waiting and waiting and waiting (and I'm still waiting).
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eric nies, hit the spot, of steel, oldies but goodies, seasonal disorder, vf hall of fame, vintage workouts