Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-09, 09:58 AM  
keb's mom

I looked at the Walmart site but couldn't find a 12lb weighted vest. Does someone have a link?

Another idea for adding weight to your lower body work is to gain 20lbs--this option is a lot more fun than spending money at Walmart

Maria
keb's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 10:05 AM  
izzyp

You can go on the Altus website and get the exact Cathe vest in 12 pounds . It is the identical vest as the 10 pound one.
izzyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 11:34 AM  
PhyllisG

Maria You made me laugh because I am always thinking that. Why buy a vest I can just gain ten lbs! Very funny.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 12:22 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_real_twit View Post
Thanks, this helps alot because I was looking at this vest this past weekend and wondering how similar it is to Cathe's. I recall it being around $35 for 12 pounds.
Great! I think that's what I paid for it a couple of months ago.

Maria, that's a hoot, lol! Well, I've already tried that route and it's alot easier to unbuckle the vest than loose the 10 lbs!!!!

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 12:40 PM  
westiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb's mom View Post
I looked at the Walmart site but couldn't find a 12lb weighted vest. Does someone have a link?

Another idea for adding weight to your lower body work is to gain 20lbs--this option is a lot more fun than spending money at Walmart

Maria
I think you have to go to Walmart (store not online) and get the 12lb pound weighted vest. That's where I got mine. It is by Gold's Gym but looks exactly like Cathes vest.
westiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:07 PM  
silvil
VF Supporter

Best deal I've seen for the Cathe vest is $36.06 at Amazon--
http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-by-Cat...4742697&sr=8-1
Better price than Wal-mart since you don't have shipping or sales tax.

I have the Cathe vest, and found it perfect for lower body work in CLX. My heaviest dumbbells are 25lbs. so with the 10 lb vest + a 7.5lb improvised ankle weight belt, I got almost 18lb more.

However, I would find it a bit uncomfortable for extended walking. I would also feel self conscious wearing it outside, looking like I'm in blue armor! But I remember wearing it for a Leslie, and had to take it off due to discomfort when bouncing. I would not wear it for LowMax. Maybe if the center of gravity of the weight were lower, I could use it for low impact, like those neoprene weighted shorts I've seen (very expensive though).
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:47 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvil View Post
Best deal I've seen for the Cathe vest is $36.06 at Amazon--
http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-by-Cat...4742697&sr=8-1
Better price than Wal-mart since you don't have shipping or sales tax.
Shipping is free through Wal-Mart if you have it shipped to a store and then pick it up. I don't remember paying sales tax either but I could be wrong on that.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 04:41 AM  
acescholar

How is the fit of this vest? Most reviewers really like it, but I read one review on Cathe's website that said it fit too loosely. Would it be a snug enough fit for a person with a narrow upper body?
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 06:13 AM  
bearcatfan

I don't have this vest (but I have others).

The most comfy (and cheap!) option, I've found, is to strap two ankle weights together around my waist. They have to have velcro-and-loop closures to do so, but most come that way.

I've managed to add-on 20 lbs that way (two, 10-lb ankle weights) but it was a bit bulky. Two, five-lb weights (for a total of 10 lbs.) was very comfy for me. I had to add a length of velcro, however. You can get it as snug as you want, and it doesn't move.
Old 06-12-09, 06:35 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
I don't have this vest (but I have others).

The most comfy (and cheap!) option, I've found, is to strap two ankle weights together around my waist. They have to have velcro-and-loop closures to do so, but most come that way.

I've managed to add-on 20 lbs that way (two, 10-lb ankle weights) but it was a bit bulky. Two, five-lb weights (for a total of 10 lbs.) was very comfy for me. I had to add a length of velcro, however. You can get it as snug as you want, and it doesn't move.
This is a great idea, I'll try it!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighted vest, cathe friedrich