Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-09, 02:37 PM  
keilan00

I recently got a hold of Pump It Up - The Ultimate Beach Body Workout. I'll do this one this weekend and compare. It's lead by a different instructor though.

I don't have any other Pump It Up dvds.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:37 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl
Warm up tracks: Sister Sledge - He's the Greatest Dancer and Holly Vallance -Naughty Girl.

Workout tracks: Kiss Kiss - Holly Vallance; UR the Best Thing - D:Ream; Lady Marmalade - All Saints; Just a litte Bit - Gina G; It's Alright - East 17; Big Love - Pete Heller; Not over Yet - Grace; Free your Mind - En Vogue; You don't know me - Armand Van Helden; Disco Inferno - The Trammps; You see the trouble with me - Black Legend; Overload - Sugarbabes; Young hearts run free - Candi Staton; Reach up (Papa's got a brand new pig bag) - Perfecto Allstarz; Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes; Put the needle on it - Dannii Minogue; Don't leave me this way - Communards; Lost in music - Sister Sledge.

Cool Down: Pure Shores - All Saints.

Learn the basic moves: I'm every woman - Chaka Kahn (I think this one only played quietly in the background).

They've all been big hits in the UK and even the ones I thought I didn't know I recognized when I heard them. The only one I thought was a bit out of place was the one by Yes, the rest are pretty "dancey"!

Hope that helps

Emma
Thanks Emma! This DVD sounds like too much fun to pass up.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 04:26 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl
keilan00 - that's the instructor who did the first Ministry of Sound Pump it up DVD.
Yeah, I don't get the whole Tracy Anderson thing. Deanne Berry is way hotter and a great dancer, imo. Remember "Call on Me"? (Not that that's proof of dancing abilities. )
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 02:19 AM  
keilan00

Keepfitgirl - I just viewed the 2 videos back to back.

The Pump It Up Beach Workout led by Fiona Fagan is horrible! I quickly previewed this and I am so glad I didn't pay for it. This is not what I call a workout. It's just a bunch of girls prancing around trying to look sexy. The moves were boring and the music was bleh. The instructor lacked personality and I've never seen anyone perform kicks and lunges with such bad form.

Clubland Work It Out led by Deanne Berry is the exact opposite. This workout makes me smile and not a lot of workouts have that effect on me. A couple years ago, some people on VF used the term "party in a box" to describe fun workouts. I disagreed with the selections almost 100% of the time. LOL! I would almost always fall for the hype and rent or buy the workouts only to be disappointed. I have a big distrust for that term but this workout truly deserves the title!

The music is awesome, mainly comprised of club remixes of pop songs. It's a smorgasbord of music ranging from Duffy and Rhianna, to club covers of Rascal Flatts, Prince, Bryan Adams, and Whitney Houston. It sounds like a strange combination but it totally works and had my spirits up throughout the video.

This workout is high intermediate to advanced and split up into 6 sections: dancey warmup, aerobics, dance routine, combat/kickbox, toning, and cooldown stretch. The aerobics section is intense but all the exercises can be modified on a rebounder. The dance routine moves are not some silly contrived hip wiggles and rump shakes. They are moves that you might see in a music video or actual dance club. The space requirement isn't too bad. If you have enough room to do a Leslie Sansone walking workout then you have enough room to do this workout. The kickbox section is comprised of a lot of punching combinations. There's more punching that kicking which is fine by me. The toning section consists of various pushups, ab exercises, and bridgework. The cooldown is an assortment of slow stretches. The only thing this workout lack was modifications for beginners.

I really like Deanne Berry as an instructor. She's adorable. She doesn't take herself seriously and you can tell she's having fun. Even though she's gorgeous, she never plays up to the camera nor tries to be a sex kitten. Her outfits are pretty campy but I wasn't offended. If I was in a relationship, I would probably shoo my SO out of the room due to jealousy. Oh, I forgot to mention that she cues well.

Here's the workout again:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clubland-Wor.../dp/B001G93ZEC
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 10:45 AM  
Keepfitgirl

keilan00 - thanks for posting those details of your two DVD's. The Clubland Workout sounds very like the 2nd Pump it up DVD that Deanne did - Pump it up, burn it, lose it. I haven't got that one but have read reviews. It has a hi energy aerobics section, a dance section and a kickbox section, plus toning. The Clubland workout one looks like it's got a better track list. I'm off to youtube to have a look for more clips. The only thing I found I didn't like about the original Pump it up, & it looks the same with both these, is that they tend to put the very hi energy aerobics first and stick a much less intense dance section in the middle, which loses the momentum for me. With the first DVD, I found myself chaptering forward over the dance section (as it felt more in line with a cool down) & on to the next section which was higher intensity. I agree that parts of these DVD's work well on the rebounder too! I am tempted by the Clubland one as the music looks so good.

spotted_zebra - I did another 4 songs this morning of the Dancefloor workout and it's getting addictive! It actually feels like you're dancing, as opposed to Tracy Anderson (which I do love actually), where I do feel like I am doing aerobics! I particularly enjoyed Lost in Music by Sister Sledge. She put in some real disco moves which made me smile. They seemed to cut the track slightly short on that one though. I also did Kiss Kiss by Holly Valance as I really like that song! It was a bit more difficult to catch on to but I'd just about got it by the end of the song. Only 10 more tracks to try and I haven't even attempted the pre-mixed workouts!

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 11:58 AM  
silvil
VF Supporter

Ooh, I've been looking at your links & popping around youtube, and all these UK dancefloor/pump it up/clubland workouts look like great fun! I'm always looking for dance videos with great music. Why can't US videos be like this? (yeah I know, the music licensing fees, yada yada).

Keep the reviews coming. I'll be getting a few of these for sure.
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 12:59 PM  
Keepfitgirl

Silvil. If you go for a Ministry of Sound Pump it Up DVD, go for the very first one with Deanne Berry. It's actually a pretty tough aerobic workout & the music's excellent. As I said in my other post, these DVD's do tend to stick a lower intensity dance bit in the middle which breaks up the momentum but you can easily skip around. From what I've read, the original is the best and the hardest. The music's really good on this one too. Have a look on youtube as there's quite a few clips up of the Pump it up DVD's.

Emma
Old 05-01-09, 10:35 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I received this DVD last week while VF was down. FUN!! Unfortunately, I can only play it on my PC, and my computer room has very limited space for dancing. Can anyone advise me on how to "back it up" to a region 1-compatible DVD, so I can play it on my DVD players? My dad has a Mac, if that will help. Thanks!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 12:28 PM  
Keepfitgirl

Hi Sue B. I'm not v technical but I think someone posted on another thread about a programme you can download that will burn protected DVD's for you. I think it was called Slysoft - Any DVD or Clone DVD. I don't know if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Glad you liked the DVD!

Emma
Old 05-23-09, 10:34 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I was considering buying a region-free DVD player to play this DVD, but then I did a search and found a site full of codes for resetting DVD players to play other regions:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

They didn't have a code that worked on the Pioneer multi-disc player in my basement, but I tried playing the DVD on the Toshiba player in my family room, and it works!! (If you have a Toshiba, insert the disc and when the "check region code" screen pops up, just keep hitting the main menu button till you get an arrow in the upper corner, then hit play and you should get a menu. Select something, press play, then when it starts playing, hit "marker" and that annoying message should disappear. Woohoo!)

I this workout!!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dance workouts, music, non-region 1 dvds, similar to tracy anderson, tech