Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-14, 06:17 PM  
shoegoddess

Tell me about Pop Physique

I'm starting to get a little more into Fusion and Barre workouts. Target had 2 Pop Physique DVDs for $12.99 each today. A little research and I found the set at Amazon for 29.99 for 3 DVDs. So right now I'm looking for them on the exchange board along with Ballet Physique Amped Up. I tried Barre a long time ago with the Bar Method and Fluidity. Just couldn't get into them. But Ballet Physique and Pop Physique look more modern and fun. Thoughts would be appreciated

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 06:50 PM  
eannem

Ballet Physique Amped up is one of my favorites. Of the 3 pop physiques, there is only one that i like- think it is hardcore. But I rarely reach for it. Cant really say why.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 07:02 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I really didn't click with the Pop Physiques. I just didn't like the vibe of them, didn't find them enough like P57 (!) to want to keep them, and the instructors shouted a lot, which I hate.

I LOVE the Ballet Physiques! BP is my second fave barre DVDs, apart from P57, and that's high praise coming from me.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 07:04 PM  
Glow Girl

I think you will like the Pop Physiques DVDs if you are looking for a fun workout.
I pretty much just do barre workouts and these are definite favorites. They just have an upbeat vibe compared to other barre workouts.

I also like the Ballet Physique DVDs. As much as l like the BM, I'd definitely recommend any of the barre workouts you are looking for to give a different impression of a barre workout.
Old 01-29-14, 07:13 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Barre Physique is very similar to Bar Method IMO. I liked the workouts initially -they are pretty solid - but I quickly got bored with the scripted feel of the DVDs. I much prefer Pop Physique. The look and vibe might not suit everyone but I enjoy the light-hearted, quirky tone and the interesting workouts. Looking forward to the new set coming soon...
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 07:44 PM  
dianestjohn

I love all 3 Pop Physique workouts - they are challenging, very well cued and instructed, and fun. There are similar to other barre workouts because all the basics are covered but they are more challenging than, say, Pure Barres (or maybe challenging in a different way, they move faster and with more gusto). Some people find the outfits annoying - on the Hardcore one especially the outfits are a little lingerie-ish (but I think that's a sort of play on the Hardcore concept :-) But I think the outfits are cute and I really do love the instructors and the workouts. I have heard they are coming out with new workouts and I can't wait
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 08:38 PM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

I dig they pops , they have a very fun vibe, I am looking forward to the new set launching which according to them is super soon
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 08:36 PM  
kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
I'm starting to get a little more into Fusion and Barre workouts. Target had 2 Pop Physique DVDs for $12.99 each today. A little research and I found the set at Amazon for 29.99 for 3 DVDs. So right now I'm looking for them on the exchange board along with Ballet Physique Amped Up. I tried Barre a long time ago with the Bar Method and Fluidity. Just couldn't get into them. But Ballet Physique and Pop Physique look more modern and fun. Thoughts would be appreciated
Pop Physique is marketed towards 20's to early 30something "hipster" types, hence the American Apparel-esque look not to mention the fact that both American Apparel & Pop Physique both got their start in LA, specifically the Silver Lake/Echo Park area. Nonetheless, it's a thorough workout, and if I had to compare it to another "boutique" barre brand, it would most closely resemble P57, Dailey Method and Pure Barre in terms of the moves, sequence, and intensity (I still think P57 is the hardest, though Pop Physique Hardcore is up there). That said, the instructors seem the least "warm," or personable (Pure Barre's Carrie Rezabeck comes second, IMO) and they tend to shout their instructions, "Hold it! Fight it, FIGHT IT!". The background set could be a little bit more interesting, and actually, I'm looking forward to seeing the new graffiti-style set in their upcoming DVD's.
Tanya Becker of P57 shouts too, but it's more fun/silly stuff like, "Ugh-uh, cellulite doesn't like that burn!" which, for me personally, helps me work through the pain.

The price on Amazon is the best price for Pop Physique, and having seen the prices for most of the barre DVD's out there, it's a good investment. (I paid $30 for just one Dailey Method DVD-yikes! But this was back when there weren't that many "boutique" barre DVD's to choose from. Though the DVD is close in intensity to a live class). I don't regret buying any of these, and I rotate them. However, I don't consider Pop Physique to be cardio, Tracey Mallett and Xtend are the ones that get my heart rate up, so ignore the word "cardio" in the DVD title. Perhaps it's a a matter of which instructor style you prefer. Hope this helps.

Additionally, I would refer to this thread: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ighlight=barre

Tags
ballet physique, barre, pop physique