Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-19, 12:50 PM  
gladgirl

sort of off-topic

Am in need of new washer/dryer. Already know it will be Speed Queen.
Not sure whether to get the front loader or the top loader.

Which type do you have? Are you satisfied, or would you switch to the other?
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 01:03 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 01:10 PM  
sherry7899

I know there was a whole thread about speed queen here. I will see if I can find it

Eta: I have not had any luck finding it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 02:22 PM  
gladgirl

Thanks, Penny and Sherry.

I did see the Speed Queen thread. I am getting Speed Queen, for sure. After love at first sight with the Whirlpool Duet and then a horrible relationship almost immediately afterwards, I am moving on. We bought a Speed Queen top loader for my FIL when we were taking care of him and that machine was a horse. My SIL is still using it with all her grandkids and other relatives. It is a workhorse, for sure.

My wavering is between front load and top load. After reviewing the other threads I am leaning towards the top load, but the front load looks so pretty!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 02:44 PM  
Erica H.

I have the SQ top loader and absolutely love it. But I did hear that the newer models aren't as good (maybe due to water-saving features?) so you definitely want to check into that.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 03:09 PM  
pgun3

I have heard good things about Speed Queen but I heard that their newer model years have not been as good. My husband was researching them because he needed a heavy duty machine for his work clothes and he said that anything newer then a 2016 weren't as good....
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 03:11 PM  
red1013

Not familiar with Speed Queen, but I have an LG top loader and I really like it. I will always choose a top loader over a front loader.
Old 09-17-19, 03:31 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I love front loaders and prefer them to top loaders but everyone is different. We currently have an LG front loader. Prior to that had a Kenmore front loader. Not sure if Speed Queen front loaders are any good.

I looked into Speed Queens online when I was researching for the LG we got, and Consumer Reports currently gives Speed Queen a 10/10 for owner satisfaction but only 6/10 for predicted reliability. But that's based mainly on older Speed Queen models: "Survey of 32,447 front-load washers, owned by members who purchased a new machine between 2008 and 2018."

(our local library has digital access to CR online)

But I always check Wirecutter too when researching and they note this about newer Speed Queen top loaders:

Quote:
Speed Queen top-loaders probably have the biggest cult following of any washing machine, thanks to their excellent reputation for reliability and longevity. But those loyal fans are not too happy about the new 2018 models (including the TR3, TR5, and TR7). While the build quality is still excellent, and they still have some of the best warranties in the industry, the wash action is “radically different,” as Speed Queen rep Randy Radtke told us. The agitator and tub move in unison on the new models, whereas they moved independently on the old ones. The brand claims that the new design performs better on industry-standard stain-removal and fabric-wear tests, and runs much quieter. Speed Queen fans, including several appliance technicians, say that the new wash action is too weak to clean heavy items like work clothes, which is what many of them loved about the older models. Video reviews do show a pretty stark contrast between the old and new motions. No independent sources have published results from any controlled tests yet, so we’re not ready to draw any hard conclusions about the new models. But in the meantime, be aware that they do not wash like the older models that earned the brand its loyal following.
[underlining is from links in the wirecutter article]

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...-a-speed-queen
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 07:04 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

I also have the LG top loader and it's been great. I sometimes think to get the front loader, but always end up choosing the top loader.
Donatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 10:40 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I have a Speed Queen front loader and hate it. It's the worst machine I've ever had. I chose SQ because they are built to last, yada, yada, yada. We've had the repairman out to fix this thing more than any other washer. It does have a long warranty, but I expect it to explode the day after the warranty expires.

Just my experience, but I have been greatly disappointed.

Tags
washers