Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What level exerciser are you currently?
Low Beginner 4 3.39%
Beginner 9 7.63%
High Beginner 10 8.47%
Low Intermediate 10 8.47%
Intermediate 37 31.36%
High Intermediate 22 18.64%
Low Advanced 10 8.47%
Advanced 10 8.47%
High Advanced 1 0.85%
I don't know! 5 4.24%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-19, 02:36 PM  
alisoncooks

I put high beginner... but I may be low or medium beginner, lol, idk. I'm not what I used to be, in either direction.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 02:41 PM  
rhbrand

Voted intermediate, cause cardio wise I'm a low intermediate, but weight lifting wise I'm more of a low advanced. The average, intermediate.
Old 09-16-19, 02:42 PM  
BunnyHop

I've no idea.

I have been rebuilding my strength over and over for ages, and only seem to have made some headway since I started working out strictly within my limits and doing everything I can to simply be consistent every day with something.
Old 09-16-19, 04:04 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I put Low Advanced because I like to do advanced workouts but I do modify some higher impact moves. I also do endurance based workouts (training for races by run/walking) longer distances. So yeah, don't really know if that's the correct classification, lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 04:09 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Yeah, KCM. I tried her "Start Here" video and didn't like it much. I would warn anyone not to start with "Start Here."
I recently did "Start Here" to see if it would be good for someone new to weights. Um, no, not a beginner workout. I like the workout, but not for a beginner!
Old 09-16-19, 04:43 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I put Low Advanced because I like to do advanced workouts but I do modify some higher impact moves. I also do endurance based workouts (training for races by run/walking) longer distances. So yeah, don't really know if that's the correct classification, lol.
I was thinking that intermediate vs. advanced could have a lot of overlap. With the races that you have in your sig, I would say you are advanced for sure! I could not go out and do those things right now, even though some of the DVDs and streaming I do are labeled “advanced”.

I am not sure that most things called “advanced” in the video exercise world are really advanced, but I don’t know. Compared to what? I would say I am high intermediate because those are the workouts I most enjoy doing on a regular basis, with some advanced regularly thrown in. But another way to look at it is that anyone moving regularly is advanced or well above average, because the average person does not exercise regularly at all.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 06:26 PM  
Judy W.

5 years ago I might have said low advanced. Then the knees cried "Foul!" So I'd have dropped it to high intermediate, and even plain intermediate.

Today? After battling cancer and having chemo, the doc told me I could do light activity whenever I felt up to it. Many days I didn't feel like doing anything, but when I had a little energy I took short walks or did short easy videos. Gradually I found more energy. I was also very lucky and am now in remission!

So I'm blessed to say today I am a very low intermediate. I'm not where I used to be! But I still the on the walking shoes, lift lighter weights and press Play! And I'll continue as long as my body allows.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 07:12 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I was thinking that intermediate vs. advanced could have a lot of overlap. With the races that you have in your sig, I would say you are advanced for sure! I could not go out and do those things right now, even though some of the DVDs and streaming I do are labeled “advanced”.

I am not sure that most things called “advanced” in the video exercise world are really advanced, but I don’t know. Compared to what? I would say I am high intermediate because those are the workouts I most enjoy doing on a regular basis, with some advanced regularly thrown in. But another way to look at it is that anyone moving regularly is advanced or well above average, because the average person does not exercise regularly at all.
I agree that advanced is kind of subjective to people’s perception. I would consider CrossFit (and other similar programs) to be more advanced than most video workouts. But I like to vary intensity too, to keep away the dread factor. Yes! We are all above average by just working out on a regular basis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
5 years ago I might have said low advanced. Then the knees cried "Foul!" So I'd have dropped it to high intermediate, and even plain intermediate.

Today? After battling cancer and having chemo, the doc told me I could do light activity whenever I felt up to it. Many days I didn't feel like doing anything, but when I had a little energy I took short walks or did short easy videos. Gradually I found more energy. I was also very lucky and am now in remission!

So I'm blessed to say today I am a very low intermediate. I'm not where I used to be! But I still the on the walking shoes, lift lighter weights and press Play! And I'll continue as long as my body allows.
Judy, you are such a warrior! You are amazing!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 07:51 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Low intermediate to intermediate works well now for me. I flirted with low advanced in my 40's but couldn't be consistent enough to stay there.

I'm happy where I am but still struggle with consistency.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 07:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I struggled between intermediate and low intermediate, then erred on the side of honesty - low intermediate.

I had reached advanced at one point, but am going in the opposite direction now. At my age and with my physical issues, my fitness career has been analogous to the adage "Be nice to all the people you meet on the way up because you're going to pass them again on the way down." If only I'd been kinder to my body on the way up:
  • never doing high impact aerobics on a concrete floor
  • not jumping up onto the stage in a gym (my knee still feels that tweak)
  • not leave my yoga practice or quit the studio for periods of time
  • gotten into the habit of taking regular desk breaks to walk or stretch many years earlier
  • never smoke, or least never pick it back up after my pregnancy (I quit many years ago but my lip lines and asthma didn't get the memo)
  • if only sunscreen was promoted like it is now
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness levels