Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-04, 04:47 PM  
ajaks

So many people!

A nice idea.

I'm very new. I discovered the site a few weeks ago while looking for exercise video reviews. They were great!

I'm 44, married, mother of 4 (24,20,18,14), there's no reason for me to stay at home any more, except I do everything around here! All the yard work, refinishing, painting, window treatments, cleaning. Am thinking of going back to school for something fun like graphic design (have a degree in Interior Design already).

I started exercising about 6 years ago when I got to a weight I had never reached without being pregnant. I jumped into exercise and healthy eating bigtime and lost 40 pounds and got in phenomenal shape. Alas, over six years, my workouts got less, my eating got more and in September I found the scale saying horrible things!

So I joined an online fitness program which I have been really happy with and used my recumbent bike and took up running for exercise. When the cold weather came, I used the treadmill at the gym, but the gym closed in October and I haven't been able to join a new one. I live near Boston and I hate cold weather, so have broken out some of my old tapes to break up the monotony of the recumbent bike.

Just got a heart rate monitor so I did a tape, 35 minutes on the bike and strength training today to play with it!

Besides exercise and driving my youngest to school (hour round trip twice a day) and general care and maintenance of the old homestead, I like to read and sew and I spend WAY too much time online - especially when I find great sites like this one!

Jeri
ajaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-04, 10:20 PM  
ziggy2306
VF Supporter

I wanna play too...lol

Hi everyone...I'm Cori (or Cori #2, rather, since there is another Cori around here somewhere and we agreed that she gets to be #1 because she was born first). I'm 27 years old and live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am divorced (which accounts for a lengthy absence from the boards here last year). I am currently a full time student, studying New Media Production and Design.

I used to work out to old Jane Fonda tapes in my parents basement when I was a teenager. I can still remember my little brother making fun of me for "Driving the Big Truck" in her old Low Impact Aerobics tape! lol. Anyway - a few years ago, too poor to afford a gym membership yet wanting to get into shape, I went to ebay and picked up a Richard Simmons tape. Suddenly I was loving working out at home...it was fun, nobody judged me, I was seeing results...and i was taking charge of my health and my life.

I currently own close to 90 tapes (which is a small number when compared to some of our friends here) and I know that i will always be a home video exerciser. There's really no reason not to be, as the advantages far outweigh everything else!

Starting over is never easy...

***That's Abner, my crazy Bassador (Bassett/Lab) in my avatar***
ziggy2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-04, 09:43 PM  
moufus

Talking Hi All!

I am also a newly "outed" lurker. I started visiting this site quite a while back - I think it was in 1998 when I was really good about doing my videos and had been consistently for about 2 years.

On a personal level, I am 33, married with a 3 1/2 year old daughter. I am employed full-time outside of my home.

My first video was Jane Fonda's (non-step) video back in 1985. I did that for a few years, then stopped exercising during college and picked back up with Denise Austin Hips, Thighs and Buttocks in 1996 to get in shape for my wedding. I haven't looked back!

Exercise tapes/DVDs are my hobby - I think I am getting VERY close to the 100 club - I haven't counted, but my bulging entertainment center is making me think I probably should! Also, my hubby thinks I am nuts, but does support me in my indulgences so I can't complain there!!!

As far as how ofter I use them, I was very good about using my tapes (Mostly Kathy Smith, FIRM, Gin Miller and a few others) until 2001 when I fell off the exercise wagon. I have had a few stops and starts since then until finally getting it into gear late this summer. I am just this week re-starting from a (non-exercise related) back injury after about 2 1/2 months (and sadly, 9 pounds heavier) - but even more determined!

I love Cathe, FIRM, Method, step and weight training. I am getting into more Pilates-inspired workouts (from my injury) and Lotte Berk Method. And my new gem - the Slim Series! I just did my first one tonight (Mix it Up) and I have to say I am in love with this tape! Sore already only 2 hours later, but happily so!

Love this place - it has been the basis of so many of my favorite tapes/nstructors! I found the FIRM, Gin Miller, Slim Series, and several other of my all - time best and most effective workouts here through the wisodom and experiences of this great community. I won't buy a tape without looking it up here first!

Glad to read all the posts and hear about all who shared their stories! Good luck to everyone on their goals in 2004.
Old 01-09-04, 10:40 AM  
Stasi

Cool

Hello all!
My name is Stasi and I live in Toronto, Canada, with my husband of a year and a half and our Jack Russell Terrier, who is our pride and joy. I moved to Toronto 9 years ago from Moscow, Russia, and I love it here, except for the winter (and NO it is NOT very cold in Russia)

I am new to this site. My friend at work introduced me to it just a few months ago; and I have been addicted to it ever since.

I have been exercising on and off for years. Mostly just jogging and other cardio. I am “two times” gym member Not long after joining for the second time, I realized that the only equipment I use there is the tanning bed . Since gym did not work for me, I mostly jogged on the treadmill in the cold months and outside in the summer, until I discovered videos about a year ago. I can’t really tell who is my favorite instructor – I go thru phases. When I discover a new instructor it becomes my favorite one. I am not a big fan of Pilates, I prefer something more fast-paced: hi/low and step. That is why I am lacking strength exercises – I am trying to work on that.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful advises; since I am new to all this, they have been more than helpful.
Old 01-09-04, 06:42 PM  
Cerulea

Hello all - I've posted a little bit here and there but a formal intro seems like a good idea...

I'm Lore (say the 'e') and I'm currently an intern working on a PhD in clinical psychology. (I'm in my 5th year - I can certainly relate to the poster who is in her 3rd year!) I just turned 29 and I live in a tiny 1BR with my DH and 2 cats. "samiam" is Sam I Am, which I just typed in on impulse when I was picking a name bec. one of my cats is Sam (the shy one, therefore the one I tend to emulate more on message boards. Max is the feisty one )

I've been working out regularly since I was 19 (!) but have been doing home workouts exclusively for about two years now. I used to be a gym rat, then graduate school hit and it became easier to work out at home. I started out with the Firm cross trainers and was a Firm/FitPrime fanatic until I found this site and decided to give Cathe a try. (Thus I am presently in love with Cathe ) I also have several yoga vids and the Lotte Berks.

What has been so great about home workouts for me is that I don't avoid things like I used to do at the gym. For example, when doing a Firm tape I just do the whole thing, and when the hated bicep curls begin I just suck it up and do them. At the gym I always found reasons to avoid that which I do not especially like. :rolleyes:

I'm here nearly every day. It's so much fun find others like myself! I don't know anyone in my non-cyber life who is into video fitness, so for me it has been very validating to find so many great people who are.
Cerulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 03:32 PM  
SassyFireAngel

Well, I've never been one to stay out of a getting to know you, getting to know me party.
My name's Michelle, and the nickname/screenname comes from the fact that I have a sassy attitude, red hair, but I'm nice when I want to be. I'm a junior at Capital University studying psych and a waitress/hostess, soon to be interning at a treatment center for adolescents.
I haven't worked out on a regular basis, on and off, for a couple years. My first exercise set ever was the Firm BSS1. Now I do P90 and Minna Lessig's Emergency Workout alternatively, and I just purchased Winsor Pilates. I'd love to make some new friends on here who share my love, albeit sometimes lazy love, of fitness.
SassyFireAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 09:28 PM  
DynaRach

delurking for a bit

I suppose I should introduce myself before posting elsewhere - just found videofitness a week or so ago after ordering some Joyce Vedral dvds. I was aware of collage for a while,but still haven't ordered from them. Got a Crunch dvd at barnes and noble before Christmas for something to get me going at home but it wasn't quite what I needed. I was going to bellydance classes a couple of times a week till an injury stopped it several months ago. I felt weights was my work around till I can go back, but the classes aren't cheap so if I can start more practice at home I'll get what I need for fitness without spending so much.

I used to spend a lot of time in the gym, one of the first memberships I had was to a rather barebones powerlifting gym, then later a Y near work. I just don't want to spend the 1-1/2 hours 3 - 4 times a week I used to, have dogs that would love more walks and have other interests that take time, but I still want to stay fit. I may get some Cathe dvds but I don't own a step or a barbell yet. I'm constantly adding more dumbbells to my collection right now. I like how quickly the Joyce videos move, I figure I can get cardio by going for walks during lunch and breaks at work - since I work in SF there's plenty of hills for a bit of challenge.

The dyna in my screenname refers to one of my bikes, an 80" harley. I only ride a bicycle for one week out of the year, out in the desert.
Rachel
DynaRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 09:47 PM  
Libby

Hello from Down South

I'm Libby, from down south in the Houston area. I'm 44 years old and have been married 16 years to a wonderful man. Have two girls 20 and 13. They are all tall and thin and I'm short and curvy! I've been working out at home since the middle 80's. Started out with Jane Fonda on video and Joanne Greggins on cassette! Does anyone remember her??? I have loved this VF website and learned so much from it. I currently use Kari Anderson, Cathe, Karen Voight, Christ Taylor, Kathy Smith, a few Firms and one CIA video. I really enjoyed the discovery of the barbell instead of just using handweights! And the step bench although I don't like step workouts much. I do love cardio and floorwork a lot, especially yoga and pilates. Just wish I could find more cardio tapes with great music from the 70's and not just instrumental. And once in awhile a break down and workout with Denise Austin just for fun!

Well thanks for letting me introduce myself!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 11:59 AM  
melfitz

longtime VFer

Hello all!

I go way back with VF, I'd say, since 1997, maybe earlier! (I remember when you could see all the threads and responses on 1 page!) I've been absent from the board for about 4 years...funny, that's how old my oldest child is... I have 3 children - Maya (4yrs), Clare (2yrs), Zachary (8wks). As you can see, I've been busy! Well, I decided to get serious about exercising again! I've tried to exercise regularly these past 4 years, but it's been tough to find time and energy. My goal is to get back to the level of fitness I was at before getting pregnant the 1st time. I have a ways to go, but I know I can do it.

VF has always been an inspiration. Even though I didn't regularly read the boards these past 4 years, I did so every once in a while.

I started exercising again 2 weeks ago. I did Powerhour and the CTX series last week. This week I've done CTX Powercircuit cardio and back (it took a while to complete because Zachary kept waking up from his nap. I couldn't do the abs), Powerhour (love it!), Cardiokicks, CircuitMax (it took me 2 hours to complete because Zachary just refused to take a good nap, plus I had to stop and breastfeed), MIC hi-lo and Powercircuit abs. I think I'll do Powerhour again today and then do the CTX series next week. Can you tell I'm a Cathe fan? I'm so bummed because I haven't been keeping up with my Cathe purchases. The most recent I have is Powerhour and she's made so many workouts since then! I have to update my collection. I will probably start with getting Bootcamp. When the weather gets nicer, I hope to start running again.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble!

-Melanie
melfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-04, 05:20 AM  
laenggren

Hi Becky
I iwll play too I dfound this site from Cathes sight Love her I have posted only once or twice here but Love to read the forums.
Anyways I live in Lakeville Minnesota I have been an at home exerciser for 20 years Started with Charlene Prichett It Figures show on cable and eventually about 10 years I guess or so ago I found Cathe and my DH bought me agreat new treadmill which is where I get most of my cardio lots easier on the joints at 42 that bouncy hi impact too much Love weights especially cathe Pyramids and Pure strength and Muscle endurance I have them all and will probably get the new DVDs too just for curiosity I am sure they will be good
Lisa
laenggren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread