Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-16, 05:56 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I'd like to try it but nearest store is nine miles away so not worth the drive in heavy traffic.
Videofit, this made me laugh! My nearest store of any sort is about nine miles away!
Old 09-12-16, 07:54 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Lol Videofit! I usually go every 6-8 weeks to Aldi's because it's just not convenient for me right now either. I went on Saturday and did my usual pantry stock up. There weren't any "new" items to try.

I get that it caters to the SAD diet but the prices really help my food budget. We're feeding four adults (three are male) plus I have my two grandkids, daughter, and son-in-law over a couple of times a week. I still shop at either BJ's Wholesale, a local grocery store, or Walmart once a week. I just fill in with Aldi's.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 10:35 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I agree with the OP-- Aldi is good for basic stuff, more variable for meat and produce. The candy aisle is a definite hazard for me!!

I think the cleanliness and the freshness of produce depend on the manager and the turnover in the store. In urban Fort Lauderdale there is good turnover, so I rarely have to worry about spoiled produce.

I will also say that the middle aisle (non food) is great. I bought my first kettlebells here and I took an insulated lunch bag to the checker, who added it for free ( there was no price and it was in the clearance bin).

I am a little leery of the meat, though the grass-fed ground beef is good as is the young roasting chicken.

Aldi has 3 independent taste testers who rate the products before they sell them. I generally like their products, but I wish they carried more organic items.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 10:53 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I love Aldi's. The one near me is very clean although I've been to a few others that weren't as nice. If you're trying to feed a family on a budget, it's great. Lots of organic choices. Great prices on fruits and veggies. My location is almost always busy so no time for fresh produce to spoil on the shelves...

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 11:13 AM  
ellaenchanted

I love Aldi's. Mine is very clean and organized. Actually the Aldi corp. owns Trader Joe's. I love their organic Simply Nature line, Specially Selected line, and produce. They also don't sell food with artifical dyes.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 11:56 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
I love Aldi's. Mine is very clean and organized. Actually the Aldi corp. owns Trader Joe's. I love their organic Simply Nature line, Specially Selected line, and produce. They also don't sell food with artifical dyes.
I go to Trader Joe's instead of Aldi's. I have always had better luck there. It's also a much more convenient location. I shop at many different grocery stores since none of them seem to do everything well. I laugh when people judge what it is other people's carts. If you caught me at the natural food co-op or the farmer's market, you would think I ate much more healthy than I actually do (Things like chocolate chips and sugar are not available or too expensive). If you caught at the giant grocery store, you would think I was terrible (I don't like their produce).
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 12:06 PM  
schoolgirl-01

Aldi is fine enough but i just can't bother because it's so hit/miss on products.

i don't shop for the sport of finding a bargain. i want to go to the store and find quality product on a consistent basis. this is the main reason why i don't bother driving over to Aldi - more times then not the quality was poor and i went home empty handed.

i live near many markets that carry healthy foods on a consistent basis for a reasonable price and prefer to shop there.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 12:41 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Not that it matters, but these are owned by different companies. They were started by brothers. I only know this because this was in the papers when they moved to town. One of, or their only major distribution center is close to where i live.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 01:13 PM  
topfitmama

You can buy Trader Joe's products at our Aldi here (Germany).

Aldi is always busy and popular around here. The stores in my area are nice and clean, but the one by the main railway station in the center of the nearest city has a completely different feel. It's much dirtier and dingier and always teeming with homeless people. Still, if you need groceries before hopping on the train, you just go in there and shop. It's good-old trusted Aldi.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 04:17 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Not that it matters, but these are owned by different companies. They were started by brothers. I only know this because this was in the papers when they moved to town. One of, or their only major distribution center is close to where i live.
I read an article along those lines too. One brother took one part of the world and the other brother another part. Different companies, somewhat similar themes.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldi