Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-19, 09:50 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I know I’m in the minority here, but I think people choose Taco Bell over salads because it tastes better. I also think eating healthy is cheaper than eating junk food. You can buy large, cheap bottles of pop at the store, but it’s even cheaper to drink water and I personally like tea, so it costs me $2.00 for a box of 100 tea bags which will make 10 gallons of tea - I spend almost nothing on beverages. I also spend less on food when I eat healthy partially because I buy so much less food and eat in smaller quantities.

I think we often eat for the wrong reasons - not just because we are hungry and need fuel, but we are accustomed to eating when we’re bored or socializing, etc.
Nobody claimed that people didn't have responsibility in their food choices or that they chose foods for other reasons than health. The point is that policy could make it much harder to choose poorly. We certainly have policies now that make it very easy to choose junk. Availability and price affect choice. Tax food that contributes to disease so that it can properly fund the medical care that it creates. Give tax incentives to restaurants that serve healthy choices so that they can risk using fruits/veges that have a faster spoil rate. Government funded school cafeterias can ban soda/fast food and cook food from scratch (pilot programs for this show improved attention/grades in students).

Currently, eating healthy in general costs more than eating junk. Especially if you consider making tasty food and not just beans in the crockpot (yummy to me but not likely to be a big seller against cookies and nachos). We need it to be easy/inexpensive for families to buy fish and tasty produce.
Old 07-15-19, 09:55 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Fresh food is so perishable, it would not be cost-effective to serve it round the clock at eateries. There would be a lot of spoilage and waste. Not all fruits and vegetables freeze well. Many restaurants and fast food joint use frozen items.

But those nachos with cheese sauce at the 7/11 will never expire!
It is not cost effective long term to use processed foods. The right
tax incentives could make it profitable for restaurants to choose real food ingredients and this would be cost saving for government supported medical care. Our govt subsidizes farmers---not a hard stretch to connect those dots in a way that would benefit public health.
Old 07-16-19, 02:37 PM  
angie_nrs

To the OP, I applaud you for paying attention to your lab values. Many people don't. I think as long as your labs are in the normal range, you're likely all good unless you have other symptoms. I agree with other posters who say to keep track of your labs in relation to each other. That will give you more information than just a snapshot of lab numbers.

I also agree that many people think the medical community can treat their problems, when those problems are typically a product of their own behavior. Not always, but many times. More attention to healthy diet, exercise, stress reduction, sleep, etc. would help to cure many of what ailes us. I loathe big pharma! But, many people want a pill to cure them. So, the doctors keep them happy and prescribe a pill so that the patients keep coming back. It's a wicked roller coaster. Even doctors who tell the truth and say "you really need to start walking and adding in vegetables" rarely get anywhere with patients who just don't want to hear that.

I admit that I'm not the healthiest eater in the world, but I eat less than I used to and try to pre-plan my week as far as meals go. I think any meal made at home is better than eating out. This week it's going to be hot and humid, so it's lots of cool veges and fruits coupled with most things being made out on the grill. Had I not pre-planned meals with the weather like it is, I'm sure we'd be eating out b/c it's just too hot to fire up the oven or stove. Actually one day this week will be chicken in the crock pot that will be cooking in the garage so as not to heat up the house. It takes effort to pre-plan and cook at home.
Many people just don't want to be bothered with that, so it's take out or eating out.
Old 07-16-19, 02:54 PM  
Gams

I wish we could grill, but we have too many bears that show up when we do.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 02:57 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
I wish we could grill, but we have too many bears that show up when we do.
Do you live in Montana?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 03:21 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but I too applaud the original poster for diligently researching the results. If I hadn't followed my bloodwork over the last three months, I wouldn't have ever figured out why I developed a blood clot a few months ago on vacation.

Turns out it was a perfect storm of severe vitamin D, vitamin B12, and iron deficiencies, but none of this was reported back to me by my doctor. "Seems a bit low" was all I have heard for 10 years. It took an ER doc to tell me he thinks I have malabsorption from taking too much ibuprofen and a gluten intolerance, and a few years of being a vegetarian, which totally ruined my stomach acidity and b12 level.

I followed the numbers go down and down through the years via my bloodwork (I was able to go back 15 years into my lab results) with both my white and blood cell counts going in the wrong direction, and my iron and vitamin D just barely in the normal range.

I also bought a 23 and Me genetic test with a health panel -- turns out I have both the MTHFR genetic mutations for not methylating folate and b12, and I have two vitamin D genetic mutations so I don't retain vitamin D properly. A complete genetic mess thanks to my northern European genes!!

I researched all of my declining bloodwork and my genetic mutations and changed my diet completely, in addition to high doses of b12 to try to get out of this deficiency. Hopefully in a few months it should help the anemia, and which should eventually help with my blood clotting tendencies.

You really have to be your own advocate especially when your doctor isn't really looking into oddities. For me it was a decade of odd symptoms before I figured out it was b12 and vitamin D all along -- I even thought I was in menopause!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 03:21 PM  
Gams

Northern Wisconsin
Old 07-16-19, 03:37 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Northern Wisconsin
Beautiful! I always think bears = Montana, but they're all over!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 08:59 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Beautiful! I always think bears = Montana, but they're all over!
My SIL's house in Oregon is part of a bear highway. That would scare the C*!R!A!*P&#:O out of me!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 09:17 AM  
Gams

I’ve called in late to work before when there were bears in the yard who didn’t want to leave. My boss said it was the first time he had heard a bear excuse. 😆

I’ve come home to them sitting on my deck and they are reluctant to leave even when you holler and use an air horn.

The lady down the road from me had a big bear break into her house and rummage through her kitchen. Then he drank her vodka and took a nap in her living room. She hid in the bathroom and called the sheriff. They’ve also broken into cars around here.

I always look outside before I leave the house. If there are deer in the yard I figure the bears aren’t around. I hate it when there’s a cub in the yard because you just don’t know where Mom is.

Tags
doctors, health, medical tests, prevention