Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-19, 03:02 PM  
Lannette

Ballet Body Rotation Thoughts & Questions

1. Have you ever done and completed or not completed the BB DVD rotation? If you didn’t complete it, what changed your mind? If you did complete it, what kept you going?

2. Do you mix BB downloads or DVDs with other non-BB WOs? If yes, how?

So here’s my deal. I’ve completed 11 weeks of the rotation. I just finished week 2 of Phase 3. I’m noticing a mild sense of deep fatigue and some signs of light overtraining. This isn’t the first time during the rotation that I’ve felt these things. I persisted and was fine because it improved.

I think in the back of my mind I’m also resisting doing the same 4 wos for another 6 weeks!

So I’m thinking it through but would hate to bag it if others had experienced the same and had it get better by continuing on.

I searched extensively and couldn’t come up with a thread where someone talked about the trials and tribulations of finishing THIS rotation.

Any thoughts you have are much appreciated.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 09:09 AM  
Lannette

The lack of replies kind of tells me what I needed to know.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-25-19, 09:27 AM  
slockhart

Hi there!
I have purchased the Ballet Body II but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. As much as I love Leah, there is a dread factor. IDK if it's the lack of music or what, but I can't find the motivation to do these on a consistent basis. I also subscribed to her streaming for a couple of months but gave that up. The workouts are good, but I didn't like having to repeat the same one two or three times in a row.
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 10:43 AM  
Lannette

Stacey, thank you so much for responding and sharing your experience. I’m sure the repetition is part of the problem for me. That and my love for other wos.

I’ve benefited immensely and I don’t want to lose those benefits. My back body is much stronger, my back and SI joint feel more tightly knit and aren’t at all prone to “going out.” My shoulders, collarbones and sternal area are more balanced too.

I’m considering taking an early active rest week but have a really strong feeling that I won’t be able to convince myself to continue once the week ends.

I need to come up with a way to weave BB into my other fitness activities in a way that sustains these great improvements without creating boredom or dread. I need to find the “baby bear” dose that’s just right.

Last edited by Lannette; 04-25-19 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Fix autocorrect
Old 04-25-19, 01:13 PM  
fatkat555

Hi! I have almost all her workouts via download when they were available for purchase and I have her streaming as well. I like her workouts; however, I could never do a full rotation of them simply because I’ve learned that rotations cause burnout in me. I love to mix and match. My only issue with her workouts, and I find this to be a personal issue and applies to other systems as well, is I enjoy full body 45-minute to an hour long workouts. Having to stop after doing upper body and then starting another frustrates me because my heart rate drops and my mind says “you’re done”. Most of Leah’s workouts are upper, core, or lower body focused and Suzanne Bowen has many for streaming this way as well. Just my .02. I think Leah’s workouts are solid, just wish she had more full body options.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 01:43 PM  
Honeydew

I completed periodization system 1 several times. repetition did not bother me and I think it helped build up strength. I got into my best shape ever with this rotation, but I really struggled through the last time I did it.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 02:13 PM  
Lannette

Thank you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Hi! I have almost all her workouts via download when they were available for purchase and I have her streaming as well. I like her workouts; however, I could never do a full rotation of them simply because I’ve learned that rotations cause burnout in me. I love to mix and match. My only issue with her workouts, and I find this to be a personal issue and applies to other systems as well, is I enjoy full body 45-minute to an hour long workouts. Having to stop after doing upper body and then starting another frustrates me because my heart rate drops and my mind says “you’re done”. Most of Leah’s workouts are upper, core, or lower body focused and Suzanne Bowen has many for streaming this way as well. Just my .02. I think Leah’s workouts are solid, just wish she had more full body options.
In the past I burned DVDs of Total Body Workouts using Periodization 1 System guidelines and this helped me avoid what you describe, otherwise it would have definitely put me off. I do not click with Suzanne Bowen. I almost never trade DVDs after one run through but couldn’t trade hers fast enough. I’m not actually sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
I completed periodization system 1 several times. repetition did not bother me and I think it helped build up strength. I got into my best shape ever with this rotation, but I really struggled through the last time I did it.
How did you convince yourself to finish even though you were struggling?

Fatkat and Honeydew, how often do you feel you need to do her workouts to maintain physical benefits? (Not worried about aesthetics)

Old 04-25-19, 08:19 PM  
hotncmom

When she was just putting out the downloads, Leah always suggested 3 hours of Ballet Body per week. So based on that her DVD schedule is quite aggressive. Maybe you could follow the rotation but do it every other day instead of every day? I have never finished a rotation. I wish I could, but I am picky about workouts and there were some of Leah's downloads I simply didn't like. So I just mixed and matched the ones I liked. I always did other workouts along with BB. Floorwork was the major thing that I found lacking in Leah's workouts. I think some of us requested it and we got Glutes on the Mat but that's not quite the side lying and supine floorwork we wanted. It's hard for one system to be the end all, especially when you're like us and value so many different types of workouts.

Also, Lannette, in all of her periodization plans she has a recovery week after 3 weeks of hardcore BB that is only stretching/yoga and easier stuff. Are you taking the active recovery weeks?

And congratulations on getting so far! These are such hard workouts, you should be very proud of yourself.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 09:04 PM  
Lannette

Thanks so much for your input hotncmom!

According to the DVD Rotation you go 8 weeks then take an active recovery week then go 4 weeks and take another. So that’s what I followed. Because you’re using the same 4 DVDs it’s quite repetitive, both mentally and physically.

I’ve decided I’m going to take this next week to split the Total Body dvd over three days and then add Pilates. Where I go from there I’m not positive, though I do have some (to me) fun ideas.

I have some ideas about using the DVDs and potentially downloads in different ways. I won’t do three hours this coming week but it’s really helpful to know that’s the suggestion.

Old 04-25-19, 11:49 PM  
fatkat555

Lannette, I’d say 3 times a week is enough to maintain strength gains made. Currently, I’ve been going through Exhale Core Fusion streaming workouts. I love their studio hour long classes and I’ll add on a Leah Sarago here or there when I can.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet body, eccentric weight training, leah sarago