Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-10, 02:31 PM  
lorajc

Kundalini Meditations - Do You Do Them?

I have many Ravi & Ana's and while I love Kundalini yoga, I've never done the mantra's and meditations. I feel like they would be a waste of time. I didn't even order the meditation dvd from the last set (until recently).

I contacted Ravi & Ana about the best dvd to help deal with physical pain (since I'm trying to recover from some injuries and suffering).. They responsed that the new meditation dvd would be best to use.

I immediately started to think (paranoid of me...yes..I know) that they just said this cuz it's the only dvd I did not own of theirs (LOL). However, then I ordered it....but have yet to receive it. I'm trying to open my mind to this, but I'd like to hear from everyone else on the meditations and what they do for you if you use them, or if you are like me and never use them?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 03:06 PM  
skelly50
VF Supporter

I started a regular meditation practice (including a lot of R and A but other techniques as well) about 10 months ago. I meditate anywhere from 5 to 120 minutes a day.

It has changed my life in the following ways:

I am calmer, happier, more sensitive and aware. I am slower to anger and easier to please. I have started to notice fun synchronicities that happen day-to-day and that feel magical and fun--I have a lot more "wide-eyed wonder" about nature and life than I have since I was a child. I can very easily soothe myself when I feel anxious or wound up.

Since starting kundalini yoga and meditation, the knots and tightness and trigger points in my shoulders/upper back/neck are gone. My skin is better than it has ever been and I have received numerous comments recently that I look young (I am almost 38 and people are shocked when they hear it).

I honestly can't recommend Raviana, kundalini yoga, and meditation enough.
Old 02-08-10, 03:13 PM  
sherry7899

Skelly, I have almost every Ravi/Ana dvd. Which other meditation cds or media do you suggest?

I apologize for interrupting the original thread.

Thank you !
sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 03:35 PM  
CarlaShanti

I meditate and chant as well, although I don't particularly like Ravi & Ana's melodies. I prefer Maya Fiennes' music. I also use Deva Premal's CDs. Or I just chant mantras on my own using a mala to count 108 repetitions. I agree with skelly, meditation is a wonderful thing, and for me, chanting meditation is best of all.

As Ravi always says, why not give it a try?
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 04:59 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I skip the meditations most of the time either because I don't like a particular one or I'm rushed for time. For that reason, I cancelled my order for the Ravi & Ana Meditation DVD. If I start using the meditations on my current DVDs more, then I will get it, but I figured it would probably just spend a lot of time sitting on my shelf.

The Deva Premal CDs sound interesting.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 05:19 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

There are TONS of kundalini meditation mantra CDs available.

Check out artists like Snatam Kaur, Sat Kirin Kaur, Sada Sat Kaur, Mirabai Ceiba, and a host of others.

Go to the Spirit Voyage site to listen to clips by these artists and many more; you can buy MP3 downloads of ones you like if you don't want to buy a whole CD.

I have never liked Ravi and Ana's music choices myself.

The benefits of meditation are too numerous to list. Erich Schiffmann has said that meditation is the main part of yoga, not the postures. I'm with him.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 05:26 PM  
JulieWW

Yes, I do all of the meditations. I actually was introduced to meditation as a form of pain relief in a book I read looking for answers in dealing with severe cervical spine pain. After seeing many doctors and having months of PT, I was still suffering more than I should. Did not want to take prescription pain meds and risk addiction. I found a book that a doctor wrote about his long personal journey dealing with his back pain. There was a chapter on meditation for pain relief. I read it and promptly began my practice. It takes great discipline to meditate successfully. I did it and worked and worked. I achieved dramatic pain relief. Western medicine only took me so far in recovery. Meditation is a regular part of my life now. I do Ravi and Ana's meditations whenever I have time. Sometimes I am successful in reaching a meditative state and sometimes not. It is a practice. Even trying has benefits.

Lorajc, I say give it a try with hopeful intentions. There are books availbable at most libraries that may help you get a start and get the most benefit. I wish you the best of luck!!! Sat nam.
JulieWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 05:28 PM  
skelly50
VF Supporter

Sherry, I practice Laya Yoga, with silent mantras focused on the chakras. I learned them through a teacher. I also will sometimes just meditate on my breath or on the mantra "I AM"

I also like a couple of guided meditation cds: I have some from Kripalu and another chakra one from Elizabeth Harper: http://www.sealedwithlove.com/index....t_meditations/

I practice mindfulness as much as possible throughout the day and am planning to do 24 silent hours once per quarter in 2010 with no tv, books, journaling, clocks, music, etc. I did a silent day in nature in 2009 and it was one of the most profound experiences of my life!
Old 02-08-10, 05:36 PM  
tigerbaby

My favorite mantra meditation is Snatam Kaur's "Ray Man Shabad." Her voice is so pure and mesmerizing.
Old 02-08-10, 06:00 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Lorajc, I"m so sorry for taking over your thread.

Take care,
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote