Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-19, 05:59 AM  
Lannette

Fatkat,

Exhale Core Fusion was one of the methods I considered mixing with Leah Sarago! I think I have every DVD they made. Three times a week is definitely doable for me. I guess if I feel this tightly knit sensation slipping I can always do a solid month of Leah’s stuff to regain it.

I considered throwing in some Horizontal Conditioning as a different type of planking. The Dailey Method might also be interesting. I’m looking at some other options too.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 11:14 AM  
prettyinpink

I have done both periodization systems a few times, but it’s probably been about three years since I did one straight through. The second system has a DVD rotation for the second month. You do each DVD once (not total body, but maybe that one wasn’t out when the rotation was put together) and then one day with downloads. I always enjoyed that month, but I know I would have a hard time doing only the DVDs for four months straight.

For the past eight months or so I have mixed Iron Barre with some other workouts, and for the past three months I have done IB three or four times per week, adding in a single Ballet Body download and/or Pilates once or twice a week. Or sometimes I will do a Tracie Long day, or another barre workout. I like that the Ballet Body downloads are segments that can be mixed and matched so easily.

What has been surprising to me is that when I have done a day of several lower body BB downloads, it can actually be more fatiguing than the Iron Barre workouts which have some similar exercises, but with weights. My guess is that this is because the BB often have more repetitions, but especially because with bodyweight only, I am probably stretching into the movement even more and getting more eccentric contraction. But that is just a guess. The same is true with some of the movements for the back, my lats can be more tired with the Ballet Body than with Iron Barre or other weighted workouts, even when I am going as heavy as I reasonably can. Though I am thinking that maybe that has something to do with my form and that I activate lats better with the bodyweight work.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-19, 11:34 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Reviving this old thread because I just recently started incorporating Leah's BB DVDs into my mix and goodness, they are HARD, but that's why I want to keep going. I can totally understand the dread factor though and am wondering, Lannette, how on earth you got to Phase 3 (and maybe beyond) of that rotation???

Just for reference, I'm only doing each DVD one time per week and mixing with other workouts. So on Sundays I like to do longer workouts, and I've been combining the BB upper and lower, then on Monday I do a short cardio with the core workout. Tuesdays is some kind of Cathe circuit workout. Wednesday is BB Total Body, Thursday is some kind of Cathe leg workout, and Friday is some kind of cardio. I want to stick with this for a while but after just a few weeks, I'm already developing a bit of dread!

Lannette, were you able to continue on or did you have success mixing in other workouts or...where are you at now, hah? Just curious!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-19, 12:05 PM  
Lannette

Well right now I’m actually recovering from a neck injury - unrelatedly to fitness!
If you go to my blog, HERE, you should be able to see my notes from the rotation. I didn’t finish and it’s reflected in my notes there, as are the benefits I saw and the challenges of following the rotation. For a while I continued weaving Leah’s WOs into my schedule but eventually fell away from them. Then we did Yin Yoga as a family and then a slip wrenched my neck and shoulder.

It’s funny that you should revive this thread today. My neck is much better, the disc is no longer bulging so my left arm is back in business. I’ve been slowly progressing my exercise and thought about adding Leah’s pregnancy WO.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 08-05-19, 12:11 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Well right now I’m actually recovering from a neck injury - unrelatedly to fitness!
If you go to my blog, HERE, you should be able to see my notes from the rotation. I didn’t finish and it’s reflected in my notes there, as are the benefits I saw and the challenges of following the rotation. For a while I continued weaving Leah’s WOs into my schedule but eventually fell away from them. Then we did Yin Yoga as a family and then a slip wrenched my neck and shoulder.

It’s funny that you should revive this thread today. My neck is much better, the disc is no longer bulging so my left arm is back in business. I’ve been slowly progressing my exercise and thought about adding Leah’s pregnancy WO.
Oh, wow! I'm so sorry about the injury, ug!! I know all too well how that feels. I hurt my SI joint some years ago and it took a long time to get to where I am now with feeling like I'm 'back in business'...which is another reason I want to continue these types of workouts, because they help! I'll check out your blog, thank you!

I was just looking at the pregnancy workout and it actually looks great, pregnant or not. I wasn't aware of it before now...is it comparable to her other BB workouts or less intense or...?
Old 08-05-19, 12:53 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

And after reading your blog posts, I just have to bow to you for being able to use 3- and 4-pound dumbbells with these workouts! 2 pounders are plenty for me and they feel like they weigh a LOT more than that by the end!
Old 08-06-19, 09:02 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Oh, wow! I'm so sorry about the injury, ug!! I know all too well how that feels. I hurt my SI joint some years ago and it took a long time to get to where I am now with feeling like I'm 'back in business'...which is another reason I want to continue these types of workouts, because they help! I'll check out your blog, thank you!

I was just looking at the pregnancy workout and it actually looks great, pregnant or not. I wasn't aware of it before now...is it comparable to her other BB workouts or less intense or...?
Thanks! I’m healing faster than I thought possible so it’s all good. I haven’t actually done the pregnancy WO yet. I previewed it and it looks safe yet isn’t totally watered down like so many pregnancy WOs are. Hopefully I’ll try it in the next few days. I may split it up. I’ll review it once I do.
Quote:
And after reading your blog posts, I just have to bow to you for being able to use 3- and 4-pound dumbbells with these workouts! 2 pounders are plenty for me and they feel like they weigh a LOT more than that by the end!
Repetitive or not the rotation does build strength really quickly. It surprised me.

Old 08-06-19, 10:29 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
The same is true with some of the movements for the back, my lats can be more tired with the Ballet Body than with Iron Barre or other weighted workouts, even when I am going as heavy as I reasonably can. Though I am thinking that maybe that has something to do with my form and that I activate lats better with the bodyweight work.
I am so finding this to be true for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Thanks! I’m healing faster than I thought possible so it’s all good. I haven’t actually done the pregnancy WO yet. I previewed it and it looks safe yet isn’t totally watered down like so many pregnancy WOs are. Hopefully I’ll try it in the next few days. I may split it up. I’ll review it once I do.
Repetitive or not the rotation does build strength really quickly. It surprised me.
Definitely keep us posted on the pregnancy workout! Glad to know this rotation does indeed build strength. I'm finding the more I do them, the more the exercises 'click' but then the harder they seem, and I end up even more sore than the previous times! Hopefully that's doing me some good!
Old 08-07-19, 05:56 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Definitely keep us posted on the pregnancy workout! Glad to know this rotation does indeed build strength. I'm finding the more I do them, the more the exercises 'click' but then the harder they seem, and I end up even more sore than the previous times! Hopefully that's doing me some good!
I did three segments of the WO yesterday and really enjoyed it. I reviewed those segments HERE. I’ll add to it as I do the other sections over the next few days. It was perfect for where I am right now.

Tags
ballet body, eccentric weight training, leah sarago