Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-06-21, 06:39 AM  
Helen

Cleda - the little square iPod is possibly a Shuffle. Both my girls had a Touch, before they had phones.

Time - my take is that when you're little, say 5 yrs old, 6 months is a tenth of you whole life; when you're 50, it's only 1/100th. Only 1/100th of "a lifetime" feels much shorter than 1/10th of one - it's relative to the lifetime you personally have experienced. Remember when the summer holidays from school were forever?

BUT...

It is actually scientific fact that time passes faster than we expect it to as we get older - even people who work to a clock, and work timing things to the minute. During a 3 minute interval, you won't reach 180 counting the seconds - the 3min will be up BEFORE you count it out - and the older you are, the lower your count will be, which means time is moving faster than you think it is.

Glad you're enjoying the variety - too much of anything is bad for you, because that's what "TOO MUCH" means! 8 rides/week IS too much, and Zone 6 isn't NOT my happy place either.

I'm SOOO looking forward to when you embrace yoga for the movement, flexibility, and meditational aspects. It may not be until you just CAN'T do anything else, but.... I can wait. I'm very patient.

NOTE:
A file with the .iso extension is one file that contains all the video material, menus, chapters, premixes, audio options ... of a playable DVD.
You may burn an .mp4 to a disc and can play it, but it won't be like a playing a DVD but if you burn an .iso file to disc, it WILL.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 06:07 PM  
firmiewannabe

I hope everyone who celebrates Easter had a nice holiday It seems like it came really early this year or I'm still just in shock that winter months may really be done for this year?

Helen - I never had an ipod but did have the Sony cheaper version. I used it so often for years that the name and other writing on it has faded away. It finally died a couple years ago. My friend thought I was just crazy to try to find a replacement since everyone uses their cellphones for most things now.

Cleda - I remember when Cardio Coach was new and there was so much excitement around here when a new volume was released. I haven't done 1 in ages but should dust 1 off again.

To catch up a bit
4/4 Jessica Smith 1 mile and total stretch
4/5 Cathe LITE stacked upper, Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga stretch
4/6 Tamilee fit to the hits motown, Nadia Narain everyday yoga for stress release

Have a great evening!
Sarah
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 07:40 PM  
Helen

SARAH
I definitely use my phone for running music now - the phone is such a safety device and it has the Apps on it that track pace, distance, etc...
Nano went in a drawer once the iPhone took over.
That's quite a mixed bag of things yesterday - a big of everything.

Weirdness for Wednesday(no particular order):
rolled those not done from yesterday to the top

Seriously schlumped. Did nothing. Rained all day as well.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 04-07-21, 05:21 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: You sent me on a search for a history of Ipods. (Thank you?) I have an Ipod Mini. It's not a nano. It's not a shuffle. It's bigger than the shuffle and it's square, not long and thin. I never loaded stuff on the phone and still prefer a separate device. (which is why I'm dragging my heels on getting a new one. Seems like such a waste. when I probably should put it on my phone.)

Item #2 for Helen - the grayed out things are your list that you haven't gotten to, correct? (it's very light on my pc so I'm guessing that......) and when you do them, you make them normal (or bold?)

Sarah: Definitely dig out those old Cardio Coaches if you have them! They are timeless and like old friends. I belong to a facebook group that does Cardio Coach Press Play the last weekend of every month in honor of Sean. I haven't participated in quite some time, but I think I'll be able to this month. (and work it into my routine). We'll see. Part of me wants to cycle through all the cardio coaches this month, but that may become my May goal. Since I'm doing my mile a day!!!! I haven't cycled through the CCs since training for my half marathon a couple few years ago. I have Tamilee Fit to the Motown hits on dvd (somewhere!!! :: eye roll : )

Interesting facts on time too. . . . All I know is? It sure does go quickly. (unless of course it's zone 6 or 7 or the FTP test or yoga or tough leg segments.) hahahahahahahahahahahaha! (Half joking?!?)

For the record: Yoga's that are like stretching are ok with me. I have found (thanks to this challenge) a few that I have bookmarked for possible future use that are more like stretches. Glad you're patient cuz I may get there eventually - but it may not be for many, many, many years. (Good Lord willing and the creek's don't rise!) ha! And I do like the mobility workouts I've done in Hydrow. So there's that. I am getting in stretching, so it's all good.

Waves to Lili, Pam & Kay and anyone else lurking.
On to my favorite subject: me, me me

4/6/2021: Ran 1.5 miles to my own music on the Ipod! followed by Power Zone 45 minutes Endurance Ride, 5 minutes Post ride Stretch with Christine and then in the evening 10 mins. Breathe Row with Nick

Low energy day. I started my workout too late as I was lollygagging too much on the computer and doing other things. I was then rushed for the workout, was watching the clock the entire time, couldn't seem to get focused on the workout itself (I hate that!) and therefore, didn't enjoy it. Was afraid I'd be late for work, blah, blah, blah. So it was a ride to "get er done". Which I did. I almost bailed on it but then thought that would be ridiculous cuz I was already 10 mins/15 mins/ 20 mins/halfway through it and I'd have to start all over. So it was rush, rush, rush once it was done and I stretched to get out the door for work. I will budget my time better in the future. (I say this all the time on Tuesdays!!!)

Then when I checked the workout against having done it before (was surprised it was the third time) I realized my graph was almost identical to how it was before, so obviously, I'm not thrilled with this workout. LOL.

But today is a new day. Can't love every ride/every workout/ every time.

I am pleased that today will be 7 days straight of a mile+ a day. Yep. I'm proud. Usually wayyyyy too tired to go this long, definitely in better shape (and weigh a little less) than last time I attempted to do this. I *WILL* Make it through the month of April with a mile every single day.

Ok, gotta go figure out what workout I"m going to do today.
Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 10:26 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Go, Cleda, go! It's frustrating when you don't enjoy a workout, but at least you did it!
Helen - That's a long list you have! If I put that many things on my daily list, I anticipate only getting through a portion of them.
Sarah - I had/have that Tamilee DVD, too! I'll usually go with anything that has Mowtown in the title.
Waves to Pam!

4/5 - lots of gardening
1 mile w/ Leslie as a warm-up
30 Min. Interval Run w/ Chase
5 Min. Post Run Stretch
4/6 - lots more gardening
dog walk (my mile)
Jenny Ford's March Across America, Utah (this is the first in the set that I purchased and I was happy that the sound quality is better than on the Youtube one I tried. They have filtered out the wind noises.)

This was supposed to be a strength day, but after my yard work, I figured I had done enough! I had been hauling bags of mulch around, spreading it, weeding, all back intensive activities. I should have done a stretch, too, but I was just too tired.
We are hosting an outdoor family get together this weekend to meet DS1's future in-laws, hence, the big push to get the yard in shape.
I also spent some time with Peloton doing an online chat. They had no answer to my problem, suggesting I do a factory reset on the TV. I want to check with Samsung and see what they suggest. Meanwhile, I can use it through my iPad.
Don't get me started with iPod talk! I have gone through quite a few. I think they were designed to die after 3-4 years. My last little Nano, about 1" square with a clip was my favorite! I could clip it on to my shorts or pocket when running, had all my CC's on it, and it died. Took it to the Genius Bar and they said there was nothing they could do for it and they no longer sell them. I'm not sure if it's just that model they don't sell, or iPods in general. Everyone uses their phone!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 02:50 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

GOOD DAY CHICKIES! How is everyone?

Welcome, Sarah! Good to see you!! *waves madly* Looks like you're rocking your goal of doing more walk/stretch workouts and fitting in some strength. Can I come sit by you?? --I wanna catch some success! And by the way, I also would rather have an iPod than have my music on my phone, and I don't know why I was so resistant, but my husband finally wore me down and now I keep my music on my phone and can't figure out why I resisted it so much....

Cleda, thanks for the countertop pushups idea! I like it! Do you run outside, or do you have a treadmill? I LOVE volume 1, it's my favorite Cardio Coach too! 1 and 3. When Sean tells me that my aerobic enzymes are dancing in my veins it just makes me all happy....

Helen, when you say "I can wait. . . . I'm very patient" it sounds rather sinister. I am really looking forward to your particular kind of weirdness. HAHA.

Lili, tech issues are so frustrating. They turn me into a petulant child. I'm sure you remain mature, though.... somehow I can't imagine you being a petulant child. What kind of gardening do you do? I have a little garden (1 4x8 raised box plus two big planters on the porch.) I usually plant tomatoes, cucumbers, kohlrabi, and peppers in the box, and more tomatos and a bunch of mixed lettuces on the porch.

Where's Miss Pam?? WE MISS YOU PAM!!!

SO my April so far, to summarize

April 1- Jessica L&S upper body, one circuit
April 2 -Me and My Jug In A Hospital Bathroom Lower Body Workout
April 3- Doing A Mile With Leslie In A Hospital Bathroom cardio
April 4 - Easter Sunday- intended to workout but had a stomachache all day!
April 5 - full day's work, 10K steps, but no Hospital Bathroom Workouts for this girl today.... I'm starting on a HERD of TURDS which is BAD BAD BAD
April 6 - Shovel The Composted Horse Manure workout - got the compost in my garden and all turned over before rain tomorrow! Sweaty mess I was. . .
April 7- Jessica L&S Total Body Strength Compound Supersets (I think this is my FAVORITE ONE.) --and later I hope to do a Walk Across America with Jenny Ford.

Just deleted a whole superlong paragraph of moaning about how hard a nursing schedule is when it comes to regularity of habits. . . sigh. I feel like if I could get up and go to bed at the same time daily, and eat at the same time daily, I would be able to feel a lot better. Probably true, but such is not my life until I can go PRN and work half days (Funny that I think of 8 hours as a "half day" )
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 07:44 PM  
Helen

SUSAN
What in the world is "Me And My Jug In A Hospital Bathroom Lower Body Workout."?!?! I have no idea what you mean there. Hold on... there's another "Hospital Bathroom" - a mile with Leslie. So... you're skipping off to the bathroom to get the workout done? I think I have it.

When one DD (Bridget) did tap dancing, it was quite a drive away & not far from playing fields & I'd run there, but if it was raining, I'd go to the nearby large hospital & walk the halls & run up/down the stairs at each end. The coffee-shop was my reward for being so diligent (JUST coffee!)

LILI
Yes, yard work DOES count as a strength day! Nice technology to be able to filter out the wind from the Jenny Ford video. Didn't realise she put them out - have seen them on YouTube.

CLEDA
Low energy? Hmmphf - yeah, like the energiser bunny at 75% power.
My list code - silver = not done, normal = done, but not exercise, bold = exercise done

PAM & SARAH - waves!

MP3 players
Certain they have inbuilt redundancy. Battery can't be replaced and built to last around 5 years only. No servicing after than either. There is no need for that - they could have those coin batteries. Calculators last 20-30 years!!!
Similar components - but that wouldn't keep us buying/spending. When it stops working, we have little choice. FitBits are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda
But today is a new day.
Yes it is, and I'll be back every hour - setting the interval timer for it to avoid another yesterday. It wasn't good - but I did drop 2lb, so there's that. Even cancelled on buddy. Can't let the HERD move in. Can forgive myself for a single disastrous day - first day with DH gone the whole day.

Same list as yesterday, only computer-spit rota has changed.

4th step pushups (33 in a row, last was 31) have now done more than yesterday - started with the quickest
• work - phone home Max yes, phoning parents for schoolwork in the holidays
the day's yoga (22min, Adriene - Dedicate - Day 18 Love) it's happening, slowly. Rain stopped & sunny/sticky
• work - email text to student who's stuck overseas
• work - phone home Ashley tried - no response, shall try again in after-work hours
80min, walk Alice, let her lead the way = more than my daily mile started to rain just as about to leave, grabbed an umbrella and went anyway. So glad - only a brief sunshower.
• work - adjustments in program - Years 7 - 9 done, 10 & 11 to go
• work - adjustments in Sentral - Years 7 - 9 done, 10 & 11 to go
one round of a programme (P1) on recumbent which still works!
• an hour playing piano (it's behind the recumbent) always feels indulgent
• an hour of weeding it never ends, especially after a LOT of tain
• visit with buddy - decided what we're doing tonight
• work - phone home Ashley second try, at 6:30pm - no response again - left message to please call me back
7x under-barre pullups hips & knees square - my reference is heels on edge of puzzle mat
1min, moving plank Stealth App on upturned Bosu
buddy jump = 33min, Shaun Thompson - Insanity Max 30 - Tabata Power she totally understood why I had dread-factor. It was a virgin.
• an hour of lesson prep (trigonometry - their notes & DOING the questions I'll set them) doing maths is enjoyable procrastination
THAT'LL DO PIG, THAT'LL DO. Time for a tub & a movie (10pm)
• the week's Cathe chrono (76min, Maximum Intensity Strength)
• the day's computer-spit rota
•• Cardio & Total: 81min, Cathe - Strong & Sweaty - Boot Camp - Mishmosh Mix 1 (Double It)
•• Abs: 7min, Cathe - Kick, Punch, & Crunch - Stability Ball Abs Addon and/or 10Min Solution - Kimberly Spreen - Fitness Ball - Core Addon
• Couch to 5k - Week 1, x2 with Alice for her walk & my 'mile'
• work - RAP analysis of Q23 - 27
• skate! either home (indoors) or local school (outdoors)

Yes, it's very ambitious list. Always. Tend to put on everything I can think of that I could do. Never expect to do everything though - not really.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 04-07-21, 08:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Aw how nice to be missed!

I hope everyone is well! I’m way behind on personals but I’m here, lol.

I was in the city over the weekend, DH and I had to ready the condo to sell after our tenants moved out on Wed. We packed a lot of dishes, emptied the fridge & cupboards, etc. We hired cleaners to do a thorough clean thankfully as it definitely needed it! We had three guys in there for 6 months, they were on a Netflix film crew. Very nice lads, but not good at routine cleaning.

We spent some time with DS1, DIL, & our granddaughters. We still have restrictions on indoor gatherings so we visited outside. They have a lovely backyard deck & propane patio heater. So that was fun!

I haven’t done a lot of formal workouts, but I’ve been active every day.

April 1:
~City walk, 12,633 steps
~Yin leg stretches & hip openers

April 2:
~City walk, 13,614 steps
~Yin stretches

April 3:
~City walk, 15,734 steps
~Yin stretches

April 4:
~30 min rebounding
~a friend’s Fusion-y Essentrics class online, used resistance bands for the arm work and did some barre toning
~MFML: Soothe Your Soul

April 5:
~ neighbourhood walk
~30 min rebounding
~Jessica’s WS3: Yoga Stretch & Strength

April 6:
~Taught Essentrics on zoom
~6 km trail walk, a little shinrin-yoku.
~Barre3: 30 min
~15 min yoga flow on a friend’s private YT channel

April 7:
~Hatha flow yoga class live stream on Vimeo from a studio in the city. I have several passes left and keep forgetting to use them. This was quite an active class, not fast paced but lots of planks & chaturangas.
~5 km forest trail walk, got my 10,000 steps in

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 04:33 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

10 mins. and I MUST get on the bike

So if I forget a comment - apologies ahead of time.

Helen: That infuriates me about the Ipod/Fitbit battery thing. And I agree whole heartedly. Why can't they make them last?? I know - it's all about the $$. (I loved my ONE and had bought some extra and low and behold - I discovered the battery issue as NONE of the ones I got on reserve work. ) So I think with all the talk, I MAY just try and put the music/stuff on my phone. It's just I Have soooooooooo much. We'll see. Maybe I'll keep the Ipod and battery (Which I actually can replace the battery on this Ipod, but it would be a lot of $$. At least I think that's what I found out). . . Thanks for the clarification on the grey, bold and regular. Congrats on the 2 lbs. down. Funny how the scale works. (For me at least!!! Strength or tough/long workout = weight up in the a.m. Rest day or not a lot of working out: Scale drops. Thank heavens I only use it as a benchmark. As long as it's consistently coming down, I'm happy! )

Aren't you all glad I started the topic of Ipods?!?!?

Susan: I cannot take credit for the counter push ups. that's 100% Kay all the way! She's been doing them for years. I cannot even imagine your schedule/hours. I complain about mine, but my hours and work are are nothing like yours. I get annoyed that they mess with my regular "feeding" schedule and makes it tough for any type of diet/program! I admire you for all you do. I can't imagine. I just can't. Thank you for all you do.

Pam: Look at those steps! Definitely counts and you sound so happy!

Lili: I agree that yardwork and all you do outside definitely counts as (functional) strength. So you got it.

Ok, on to me, me, me:

4/7/2021: 20 mins. Interval run with Jess King, 20 mins. Bootcamp Core with Jess Sims, 30 mins. Low Impact ride with Matt. PM: 2 rows with Mac. One was a country Pop (20 mins.) and one was a Maroon 5 Row (15 mins)

Someone asked -- running. Done mostly on the treadmill. I am up at 4 a.m. and it's still dark out so I don't want to hit the road. There's darkness and bears. No thanks! The treadmill is very convenient for me and I enjoy it. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I get a great workout and don't have to worry about cars, people and bears. I trained for a half marathon on my tread and did fine with it. I ran outside maybe 2 times the entire time I trained for the 1/2.

Ok, gotta go. Tough ride on the docket that I pushed off from yesterday cuz I was tired. Want to get it done before work today and then do my mile and row after work. (And if I'm too tired, I'll just do a mile walk vs. a jog. but we all know that probably won't happen.)

Make it a great day!
One week down and 3 to go for the month!!!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 07:37 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
Make it a great day!
I did.
You typed all that in just 10 minutes?! You type fast, and obviously don't overthink, type, delete, edit.... My original post this morning took 1:11
Quote:
One week down and 3 to go for the month!!!
Two days down without DH & 12+ to go.
Quote:
... don't have to worry about ... bears.

PAM
One of the reasons we DO exercise is so that we CAN do those long walks when in another city - definitely worth it!
SUSAN
Let me second Cleda's thanks for being on the front line in a hospital.
When the lockdowns hit my thought was that the jobs that were regarded as SO important to a minimum quality of life that they were kept going, should be paid more, and those we readily did without - less. To show the appropriate level of VALUE they provide to us all.

See... here's why my posts take so long - typed & deleted several huge rants. As a teacher, I don't just teach maths, but try to instill other notions towards encouraging.... oh dear... another rant on the way....

I'll stop before I talk about BILLIONS of years for rainforests to decay to make oil that goes into plastic, and MILLIONS of years for the plastic to break down, and hoards of energy to convert the fossil fuels into a plastic spoon, so we can stir our coffee for 5 seconds whilst in a cafe, because it's too much effort to wash reusable spoons.

oops - didn't stop. (there was another bit here, but I started off again & deleted it).

Running away now. G'night all.
(40min later)

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.