Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-17, 03:15 AM  
ncl

What streaming services do you subscribe to?

I have been thinking about the recent thread about there being no good DVDs anymore (except Cathe!) and also reading the thread wondering if people have multiple streaming subscriptions and I am thinking it might be interesting to know what streaming subscriptions folks have or have had and what they think of them, whether or not you are single subscriber or multiple, mainly to give a list of ideas of things to try.

I did Essentrics streaming for a bit and did like them but didn't really use them very much.

I also did Cathe live for a couple of months. I did use this and enjoyed it, but wanted to do some of my vast DVD collection, so stopped with the streaming but will likely go back to Cathe at some point.

Not streaming subscription, but I also enjoy Yoga with Adriene on Youtube....love love love her yoga "workouts," quotes as they are really gentle.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 12:41 PM  
fatkat555

Right now I'm subscribed to SBF (again) and Udaya Yoga. I have subscribed in the past to Hilliard Studio Method and Dailey Method. Also, I forgot to add that I did have a Bar Method subscription, but it seems like they split a lot of their content to make parts (upper body targets, lower body targets) instead of adding new content so I discontinued.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 01:24 PM  
starbelly

I started with My Yoga Online (now Gaia) and every time I think of cancelling, a new series will come out that makes my subscription worth it. The integration of the purple player allows for downloading of content so it's also useful when the internet connection is spotty. In addition to yoga, there are also Pilates and other fitness (Firm) videos. A year costs around $90.

Other services I have tried:

Suzanne Bowen: I enjoy her workouts and they don't bother my back the way some other barre workouts do. Many are in a bright and sunny room. When I first started she added workouts very regularly, but that dropped off after a while and since I have done most workouts on there, I join for a month or two and then move to something else. Earlier workouts were full body, but later ones seem to be more targets or add-ons. Great value at ~10/month. Short free trial available.

Barre3: Some interesting classes, but too much quad work for my tastes and the style of teacher talk annoys me. 30, 40 and 60 minutes workouts and some are broken up to make 10 minute workouts. The service is very pricey (~$29/month) but some specials/packages available.

Pilates by Lisa: A good variety of workouts with new additions made regularly. A bit on the expensive side (25 AUD/month), but the workouts are solid and many are filmed outdoors in lovely locations. C-curve work is not good for my back, so I quit this but would not rule out a month here and there. Free trial is available-- 2 weeks?

Essentrics: LOVE! I have most of the DVDs so I really cannot justify the $14.95 per month, but I will subscribe from time to time to see new offerings and to do some Classical Stretch. There are many videos on this site so there is a lot of choice.

Hilliard Studio Method: Signed up for the free trial and quit before it was done. The workouts are challenging, but there aren't many on the site and it is very expensive for the amount of content (~$30/month). Free trial is 2 weeks.

Ballet Beautiful: This is a winter go-to when I don't have a lot of energy. I have a number of the videos, but many workouts on the site are not available elsewhere. Very expensive (~$40/month), but lots of content. Most workouts are parts, not full body so you have to choose for yourself or you can use the matrix which selects workouts for you based on time and focus.

FitnessClass: Around ~$10 month, there is a great variety of instructors and styles. I have an amazing internet connection, but was plagued with buffering problems. I think that it works better with the app, but I never used it that way.

I am considering Pure Barre's new streaming site ($20/month), but already have many of the videos so cannot really justify the expense until there is more content. There is a 7 day free trial.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 03:03 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am currently using Barre3, and I just signed up for Pilatesology. I had purchased a B3 6 month subscription a few months ago, I currently have 2 months left. I am not sure if I will use B3 again. I do love their workouts, but they no longer offer the $19 a month basic workout plan. I was very disappointed about this. They offer $29 a month, and you can still get a small discount if you purchase 6 months, or a year at a time. I wonder if they will still have a sale on their gift cards once in a while?
I am only into my first week of Pilatesology, and I already love it! They make it really easy to sort thru the workouts, and pick what you want to do. Even if you don't have much equipment, they still have a ton of mat workouts to choose from. They also have magic circle workouts. They have a two week free trial. They also have tutorials where you can learn how to break down moves, correct form, etc.
My favorite streaming barre platform is Suzanne's SBF. She offers so much variety for such a great price! I will probably be going back to her website soon.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 04:32 PM  
desertMermaid

I'm subscribed to ballet beautiful. Regular $39.99 but currently a good offer available.

Use code: SPRINGCW17 to get 60% off your first month!

*new subscribers only, will auto-renew at regular price*
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 07:12 PM  
dmlarue1

I have tried
Suzanne bowen which I think are great but my knees just don't like any barre
Shine Dance really fun, I just got a little bored after a while
Pilates by lisa, my neck doesn't like pilates anymore

Yoga Collective ok, but honestly I liked Travis better than a lot of the other instructors. I am kinda picky about my yoga instructors, they need to cue well and surprisingly that is sometimes hard to find.

Essentrics I have a lot of the seasons, but the streaming is visually stunning and a lot sharper than my dvds.
Udaya best yoga! Love Travis, Rudy (even though he talks a little too much he makes me smile) and Vytas
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 07:38 PM  
alisoncooks

I've done a few free trials: Suzanne Bowen, Bar Method, and Barre3.

I did 2-months of Essentrics streaming.
I currently have a year of all-access with Beachbody on Demand. (Though, sadly, I'm not actually using it. I did use it a LOT the first 2 months, so there is that consolation).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:26 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I signed up for Faithful Workouts' F4 program. It's a faith-based program, so it's not well known here. I'm finding it useful so far and have been using it pretty steadily so far. It costs $70 for a year.

And, I always come back to Jessica Smith on YouTube. I know it's not a pay service, but I'm guessing I would like it as well or better than most pay services.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:42 AM  
Carol K

I only subscribe to BeMax and along with my 100+ FiRM DVDs, that's all I need.
Old 07-08-17, 12:08 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

I guess you'd count my Peloton app as a streaming service.

It's mainly cycling workouts, but they have lots of Beyond the Ride choices, including strength, yoga, stretching, etc. I use Arm routines regularly.

It costs $12.99/month and is only for iOS devices. There is a 2-week free trial.

As Laura S. said, I always go back to Jessica Smith on YT. Also Yoga with Adriene.

Starbelly, thanks for the rundown on all those streaming sites. Very helpful!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote