Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 02-16-18, 09:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I bought an air fryer at Walmart just yesterday. I've had my eye on it for a couple of months and finally decided to take the plunge. I haven't tried it yet, but my SIL has the same one and loves it so I'm sure it will be fine. The only issue I have is I have a small kitchen and it is bulky, so I'll have to get rid of something else to make room.
which brand/model did you buy?

I was in Sam's club today, and they're selling one there too. I was in a hurry, so couldn't look at it, but I think it was around $100.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 01:17 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I bought the Farberware. It was $79, I think. I've only used it once so far (to make popcorn shrimp) and it came out great. It's really a convection oven so you can make all sorts of things in it. I plan to try baking something soon.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 04:38 PM  
cyana

****Old Thread Alert****

Resuscitating an old thread.

Now that air fryers have become more widely available, I was curious what type of air fryers people are using (including the size), what you're using it for and whether you'd purchase one again. I go to a local farmer's market every week, and people are constantly mentioning preparing food in their air fryer. While I don't need another appliance gathering dust, I would consider one if it is something that I'd use regularly.

Thanks!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 05:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Baking with a convection oven doesn't make it crispy enough to my liking. I'm hoping an air fryer will do the trick.
i'm hoping the toaster/convection combo might solve this potential issue. see below - long ago, i had a convection oven and realized back then that a standard oven with direct heat seems to be better for baking cookies. the convection/toaster oven combo allows you to change modes.

Quote:
Overall, an air fryer is much better than using my counter top Farberware convection oven in one respect -- the air circulation makes sure both sides of the food are crisp whereas the convection lets the juices build on the bottom of the food and gets soggy. There are other things that can be made in the gadget from other reviews I see but I do not plan to test those out. I am otherwise satisfied with what my convection oven can do. I'll return the air fryer.)

P.S. Soggy deep fried foods are brought back to life with an air fryer. Hands down it was like dipping the food back into oil for a nice reheat.
i have re-heated fried foods in a standard toaster oven and it came out "like new". you can do this trick with popcorn, stale cookies, and stale cereal.

Quote:
The cooking duration is rather shorter with the hot air circulating around the food on all sides. I think of an air fryer as a smaller convection oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
It's really a convection oven so you can make all sorts of things in it. I plan to try baking something soon.
long story:

SIL bought us an InstaPot, but we returned it to Costco since (a) i had a standard pressure cooker and didn't like using it, gave it to niece (b) we already have a very large slow cooker that we love and use.

i also learned that InstaPot now has an air-fryer "attachment" or sells a model that can do air-frying. i didn't investigate. Male bachelor co-worker gave me the run-down on his thoughts about the air-fryer. you do end up using oil, so don't think it's oil-free.

The convection ovens available now seemed to have upped the ante since the air-fryer infomercials have generated a lot of interest. They have the basket "suspended" in the oven to allow for better air-circulation. i once owned a convection oven back in the late 80's that my other niece gave us, but it was so similar to a regular oven and it took up so much space that i gave it to my aunt.

given that we needed to replace our regular Black and Decker toaster oven, we're now planning to get a convection oven/toaster that can fit in the space currently occupied by the toaster oven.

this would rule out some of the air-fryers since some of them are narrow but tall.

also, we have and love our microwave oven, so the microwave/convection oven combos are out of the running. sister just bought one of these and loves it - she got rid of her microwave.

Walmart brick and mortar store has an abundance of convection ovens! i am amazed. so i brought my tape measure and measured all of the display models to continue research.

still need to read all of reviews and decide. some of the ones that fit our height/width criteria can fit a 12" pizza.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-09-21, 08:22 PM  
cyana

Thanks for the feedback, Jeannine. I don't fry foods now, so making perfect fries and such isn't important. I've run into so many people who are roasting veggies, making veggies fries/chips (out of things like zucchini), reheating food, etc., it's definitely something to think about.

That was a great idea to take your tape measure to Wal-Mart.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 08:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm wondering now if having an air fryer (AF) option in a toaster oven is necessary. what i'm reading is that AFs create a lot of smoke and in some models, insulation is lacking such that the outside gets really hot. we currently have a basic toaster oven that needs to be replaced.

Old 02-23-21, 10:46 AM  
buffmama

I got the toaster oven out of the kitchen when I got my air fryer. No smoke with mine although it does get a bit hot, the room doesn't and it preheats superfast. The automatic shut off is priceless for me. When I redo the kitchen I might just put in a stove top and no oven. I no longer use mine.
Old 04-04-21, 12:02 PM  
jusca

I'm back to having an air fryer. My newest countertop convection oven's fan is too small to really make a difference in cooking results between that setting and the no-fan bake setting when foods have a thick breading. I found a good sale on an air fryer and bought it to try one again. I'm loving it for breaded items! Nice crisp and it cooks most things in 15 mins or less. I am keeping both the air fryer and the countertop convection oven. They both have tasks that they do better at than the other.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 12:19 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

we got the Power XL from Sam's club, but we're planning to return it and just get a regular toaster oven.

the food comes out really great - we air-fried frozen shrimp tempura in the basket and it came out better than cooking it in a conventional oven. raw bacon comes out really great. we could toast pop tarts and apple turnovers.

we were beginning to accept the smoke. but today, after cooking the bacon, we noticed a lot of oil had dripped outside of the air fryer, all around the perimeter. it's a good thing we had a large piece of foil around it because the bacon oil was all around the bottom ON THE OUTSIDE where the smoke came out of the vents.

this is the one we have that we plan to return:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GRCJ4VK...d_asin_0_title

we made good use of our old toaster oven, which doesn't have vents or hot air circulation like an air fryer does. so going back to that should suit our needs.

Old 05-16-21, 07:37 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Thanks for the update, bzar. My gazillion-year-old range leaks propane so I only use electric gadgets. My Cuisinart griddler, Cuisinart countertop pizza oven, and Corning Ware electromatic skillet are my cooking go-to appliances. Every time this thread revives I think I need an air fryer, too, although part of me knows I really don’t. Glad to read a negative.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air fryer