Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-21, 08:57 PM  
Ricka

Traditional HiiT recommendation

Hi everyone.

I am looking to incorporate some videos that has HiiT with longer rest period of about 1 to 2 minutes with some bursts in between. Most videos I know do not have that much of a long rest period. If rest periods are something like walking in place kind of rest, that will make it even more ideal. So the idea of something I am looking for is like Leslie's walking with 2 minutes walk and bursts interval.

Cathe's imax series are also fabulous and fits what I am looking for, but I am looking for something with lighter recovery period.

I am not sure if there are videos like that, but I know you all are so knowledgeable.
Do you know of any videos like that?

Thanks so much.😊

Sorry if there are typios. I am typing using my phone
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 01:39 PM  
kat999

The FIRM Express system is a set of 20-minute workouts with 4 "burst" segments where you push high-intensity for 8 seconds followed by a 12-second rest (of essentially walking in place). The bursts are mostly cardio. The system is set up in 4 cycles of 3 workout styles each, and each cycle increases the intensity and difficulty. The 3 workouts per cycle focus on either pure cardio, a mix of cardio and strength, or just strength (while still doing cardio for the bursts). If you prefer a longer workout, you can do 2 or more of the 20-minute workouts in one session.

I'm not sure that this technically "classical" HIIT, but the lower-intensity segments between the burst segments last for several minutes and I think pair nicely with the bursts.
Old 03-18-21, 05:57 PM  
bfit

You could look at some of the Jessica Smith HIIT workouts and also her pyramid workouts.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 09:20 PM  
fanofladyvols

The Spartacus workouts (David Jack) may fit your needs.

This one isn't a full minute but the breakdown is 20 seconds on and 40 seconds rest.

https://youtu.be/QLp3-Ub2qDQ

The others vary with some 30 seconds on, and 30 seconds off.

You can get a hard copy off eBay of any of the 5 DVDs affordably priced.

Hope that helps!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 10:02 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith seems to usually do 2 minutes of interval work, 3 minutes active rest in her Walk On HIIT workouts. The workouts give level options so if you go all out and do the more advanced options, it can be tough even though it's a "walk on" workout. I haven't tried any of her Walk Strong workouts so can't compare.

1. My favorite of Jessica's Walk On HIIT workouts is the 30min Low Impact HIIT on her 2-disc 21-Day set. It's five 3/2 intervals (3 minutes steady state recovery/2 minutes interval).

2. My second favorite is her 30min 2-mile Belly Fast Blast Interval workout on the Walk Off Belly Fat 5 Days a Week dvd (even though it's an indoor set with not-so-great fake windows). This one is fun because it has three 3/2 intervals and then switches to three 2/3 intervals. So it switches halfway through. First you're doing 2 minutes interval/3 minutes active recovery and then halfway through the workout she changes to 3 minute intervals/only 2 minute active recoveries.

3. My third favorite is on disc 1 of her Walk On: Walk the Weight Off 30 Day Plan. The disc is called "5 Day Fat Burn" and contains a 30min HIIT Walk (and other workouts), but this one is only four 3/2 intervals (3 minutes steady/2 minutes interval per usual).

When I was in better shape and weighed less, I enjoyed Cathe's HIIT dvd from the Shock Cardio series. I did the 30min 30/30 one A LOT. (30 seconds all out/30 seconds recovery just walking around). Very straight forward. But it's too hard and high impact for me at my current weight and level of fitness.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 11:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

how vintage do you want to go?

Kathy Smith has the Functionally Fit Peak Fat Burning workout that is a bonafide interval workout - it's on the compilation "Super Slimdown Circuit" DVD.

https://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-S...s%2C375&sr=8-2

it's just enough to challenge you, but not wipe you out. you will feel it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-21, 07:34 AM  
bubbles76

I was thinking maybe Plyoga? I know in between the HIIT intervals they do yoga poses. I would think it takes about a minute to get into the poses.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-21, 08:45 AM  
Ricka

Thank you so much! I am going to check them out today, and I am thrilled. 😊 As far as old videos, I love both super vintage and new. (And anything in between)
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-21, 01:09 PM  
s2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
The FIRM Express system is a set of 20-minute workouts with 4 "burst" segments where you push high-intensity for 8 seconds followed by a 12-second rest (of essentially walking in place). The bursts are mostly cardio. The system is set up in 4 cycles of 3 workout styles each, and each cycle increases the intensity and difficulty. The 3 workouts per cycle focus on either pure cardio, a mix of cardio and strength, or just strength (while still doing cardio for the bursts). If you prefer a longer workout, you can do 2 or more of the 20-minute workouts in one session.

I'm not sure that this technically "classical" HIIT, but the lower-intensity segments between the burst segments last for several minutes and I think pair nicely with the bursts.

Thank you for reminding me about firm express! I forgot all about it and just did one. Great little workouts!

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-21, 01:24 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2546 View Post
Thank you for reminding me about firm express! I forgot all about it and just did one. Great little workouts!

sue
Yes! I love 'em. They pack a punch but because of the length you can really customize nicely for what you have time/energy for on any particular day. I also sometimes modify by doing my own things during the bursts based on my energy level.

Tags
burn fat and have fun, hiit, hiit workouts