Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-19, 11:11 AM  
desderata

A relatable post for those of us who have been collecting video workouts since the 1990s. I am emotionally attached to the classic firms, but haven't done them in years. I used to find them effective,now it seems separating cardio and weights is more effective for the body I have now. I've had some of my non Firm dvds for years and did them a couple of times but didn't like them very much - but others here on VF loved them, or got great results from them, so I kept them just in case I clicked with them later. I'm older, and some of my beloved workouts are too high impact for me, and I just can't risk any more injuries - etc., etc.

I realized that for the last 5 or so years I've done Cathe 99% of the time. I just signed up for LIVE/On Demand and it's so stinking convenient that I haven't done a dvd in weeks.

I have decided to spend a couple of hours this weekend ruthlessly purging videos. If I haven't done them in years, I won't do them now. Cathe finally has some low advanced, low impact, and intermediate options, so the workouts I actually do are all in one place. I will keep all my Cathe dvds in the event I tire of paying the subscription.

In short, yes. I understand your need to simplify and stop giving yourself endless choices that lead you to spend more time pondering than working out.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 11:15 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

My name is Kate and I am a variety junkie!
I can so relate to all these posts. I started out way back when with ESPN and Gilad's Bodies in Motion. Then came the VHS workouts. Oooh, then DVDs started coming out!! The collection started growing.

Oh but I love Cathe. Wait, I love Tony. Hang on, gotta do Insanity. But what about my streaming subscriptions? Oh the options!!!!

I continue to purge, trade, giveaway in my feeble attempt at paring down my collection. Then I find something else I think I can't live without.
My Post Office loves me (lots of trades and purchases).

It's a vicious but fun circle!

p.s. Hello to a fellow Katie!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 07:29 AM  
FirmDeb

I can totally relate. It all started with Corey Everson and Michelle Dzois and then I found the Firm and my video/dvd collection grew to over 100 (small potatoes for some of you). I've paired down and then bought a bunch of Cathe, and Slim Series and Zumba. I've recently paired down again. I have a stack of dvds that need to go. The thing is I love variety but it can be overwhelming.

I have a membership to GHUTV (I love) and I just signed up for Leah Sarago's membership thanks to a thread I read started by KateTT - thanks for the enabling.

Well I can't find a workout to do (like that's really possible) I default to my treadmill.

Guess we all share some form of this problem and that's why we're all friends.
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 08:59 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Katie, I TOTALLY relate to your post! I was also a poor student when I discovered fitness and I longed to be able to buy Firm videos. I found a workaround for those, but it was years before I could afford to actually buy a video... I nearly hyperventilated when I found a few copies of those early Firms at my parents' local library. I borrowed them when home on breaks and did them as much as I could before I had to return them and head back to school. I had taken notes, and used those in my dorm room. The Firm sold audio versions of the Vols. 1-4, so I saved up to buy those and followed along on the tape player I had in my room. I found I loved the Firm so much, I decided it was worth it to just save up and buy two VHS tapes--Vols. 4 and 5, because they were a little shorter and thus, cheaper! I rotated the two of those for a while, and by then, they had sold the Firm to Goodtimes and you could buy the non-clamshell case versions of the other titles.

I do find by limiting my options, i enjoy my workouts more. I got a year long subscription to barre3 online when they offered a deal a few months back, so I'm just doing barre3. I just pick one and go. Much easier and less stressful than wading through my collection!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 10:18 PM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Katie View Post
If you read that far you might be wondering what I finally did.

I sat down and had a cup of tea and a piece of cake and reminisced about the good old days when I had far less choice ;-)
I love it and can totally relate! I have a huge collection of fitness DVDs as well; now that I teach senior fitness classes and have even less time for "me" workouts, my "which-DVD-to-pull-out" paralysis have grown steadily.
Old 09-02-19, 11:33 PM  
Taiga

I like simplicity and I often get the best "results" when I focus on a particular program or two for an extended period (esp 8-12 weeks). I guess the plan to divide and conquer spares me from a lot of analysis paralysis. But I also just give myself permission not to feel guilty or bothered about this particular pleasure in life. I have a fitness library. No one would think it odd if I checked out a variety of books from the library every week. It wouldn't be a big deal if I revisited my favorites or if I read a specific book and never went back to it again. And of course I might be interested in new authors or subjects. I think the exploration and joy of movement is just as important as the joy of reading/opening the mind.

I often purchase dvd programs with the assumption that I am taking a special class or getting the services of a personal trainer. It may be a one time use or a series or something I want to incorporate daily. Either way, I get access to programs that would otherwise never be available in a rural area. That is what a fitness dvd represents to me. I don't lament them anymore than the live classes I might have taken in a big city. I'm paying for an experience and I value that. As far as choosing a program---it doesn't seem that different from the bookmobile experience when I was a kid. You hop aboard, appreciate how cool it all is and then get to work learning a new subject or reading a cozy classic. It's all good because it will come back around again.
Old 09-03-19, 11:59 AM  
Leonana

I was later to the game, and didn't start working out until 2012. I think I have about 30 dvd's. I started with Jillian Michaels, then discovered Collage and Jessica Smith. I liked Jessica so much, I mainly work out to her dvd's or you tube videos. Maybe that's why I stick mostly to one instructor, I'm not paralyzed by choice, lol. I also hate change, plus Jessica's workouts suit me really well. Every once in awhile I'll do other you tube workouts, such as Pahla Bowers or HASfit, but it's mostly Jessica.
Old 09-03-19, 12:06 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I like simplicity and I often get the best "results" when I focus on a particular program or two for an extended period (esp 8-12 weeks). I guess the plan to divide and conquer spares me from a lot of analysis paralysis. But I also just give myself permission not to feel guilty or bothered about this particular pleasure in life. I have a fitness library. No one would think it odd if I checked out a variety of books from the library every week. It wouldn't be a big deal if I revisited my favorites or if I read a specific book and never went back to it again. And of course I might be interested in new authors or subjects. I think the exploration and joy of movement is just as important as the joy of reading/opening the mind.

I often purchase dvd programs with the assumption that I am taking a special class or getting the services of a personal trainer. It may be a one time use or a series or something I want to incorporate daily. Either way, I get access to programs that would otherwise never be available in a rural area. That is what a fitness dvd represents to me. I don't lament them anymore than the live classes I might have taken in a big city. I'm paying for an experience and I value that. As far as choosing a program---it doesn't seem that different from the bookmobile experience when I was a kid. You hop aboard, appreciate how cool it all is and then get to work learning a new subject or reading a cozy classic. It's all good because it will come back around again.
I love your take on this.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 02:03 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Love hearing these stories as to how you stick with one person. I have not completed any one program. I don't know why. I guess the days don't line up with how I'm feeling.

so a program doesn't set off my bells and whistles. i guess I just have to except what I do. it gives me much less pressure and I get to enjoy the workout.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 02:46 PM  
Gams

I think that variety is good because I find myself doing moves I hadn’t done before and working muscles in a different way by working out with different instructors. When I was teaching dance I used to encourage my students to take lessons from other instructors so that their strengths and weaknesses wouldn’t be the same as mine.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, large collection, too many dvds, too many options