Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-18, 11:44 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Streaming versus owning workouts

It looks like streaming services are replacing purchasing workouts (and music and movies). What do you feel are the advantages and disadvantages of streaming versus owning? Are you more into subscribing to streaming services or into purchasing the workouts you like?

To me, the advantages of streaming are the variety offered and the opportunity to try out new workouts that you may not otherwise buy.

One disadvantage is the cost of streaming subscriptions. I also like to have something tangible, like a DVD or download, that I can do without being connected to the internet and that I can own forever.

Will owning workouts become a thing of the past?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 12:27 PM  
antbuko

For me, the biggest plus is eliminating the clutter of managing a DVD collection and the whole process of finding a DVD and putting it in the player. I would like to convert my collection to digital because I find it more convenient.
Old 07-06-18, 12:41 PM  
horsemom2

Necessity is the Mother of Invention and if I want to produce a file of a stream, I usually can succeed so I can get the best of both worlds, even though I rarely repeat a video.
If a subscription keeps adding new content I want to do, I stay subscribed.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 01:29 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
For me, the biggest plus is eliminating the clutter of managing a DVD collection and the whole process of finding a DVD and putting it in the player. I would like to convert my collection to digital because I find it more convenient.
So funny how we are polar opposites. What you see as a plus to be eliminated are the very things I love most about my dvd collection.

Now I’ll admit that my collection is huge but they’re really, really organized so there’s no clutter and I move the DVDs I’m using to a small case for the duration of my rotation then put them back in their categories. I did some dvd conversions to files and honestly found it less convenient to find things but that’s probably my lack of saavy.

I do some streaming but find it’s not worth it after a while in most cases and I end up unsubscribing. Pilates.ology and Bellicon are my only ongoing subscriptions. I subscribe a year at a time. Not sure I’ll resubscribe to Bellicon next year.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 01:32 PM  
rhbrand

Well, while I do stream, I prefer having a product in my hand.

What if my internet isn't working cause its down? Then what? I can't stream. Not gonna waste all my data on my phone just to workout.

But if I have a dvd, I can pop one in, and bang, a nice workout.
Old 07-06-18, 01:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I travel a lot so streaming works well for me when I’m away. I only subscribe to a couple of sites sporadically when I travel. I still have a lot of DVDs, but don’t use them as much as I used to. I also have a lot of downloads, Jessica Smith & MR, primarily because shipping costs to Canada are often crazy expensive.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 03:59 PM  
FirmDeb

I enjoy both. But I'm mostly streaming workouts these days, GHUTV. However, when we were hit by a bad storm we were without cable/internet for 7 days so I pulled out my DVDs. I have a lot of them but have purged workouts I no longer want to do, as my workout tastes have changed. But I don't see me giving up the dvds any time soon. I'm just not buying new ones. I think that's the biggest change. If I am going to buy new workouts and they're available as a digital download I'll buy them that way.
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 04:57 PM  
DCW

I haven't tried streaming since I am satisfied with my small number of DVDs that I own.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 05:10 PM  
sherry7899

If you tube counts as streaming, then I stream a lot There are so many excellent yoga instructors on you tube. My yoga dvds are gathering dust, but I will get back to them eventually.

I will always keep and use dvds, though. I am old school. We still have records, cds, and movies/concerts on dvds. I still read real books WAY more than reading on the kindle. I don't like paying for a streaming service month after month and not owning anything. I do use sites that allow you to buy downloads, though.

I consider the dvds as part of our home's decor along with our huge collection of books, cds and albums.......to me it is not clutter. They are well used and loved items. I cringe at the thought of ever having to pack them up if we ever move, though!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 05:41 PM  
BunnyHop

Even though my household isn't set up for streaming I'm not sure I'd be all that interested in paying monthly fees.

My interests are so specific that I guess I just want to be certain that I have the workouts I will use. If that leads to a few cluttered shelves, I can cope.

It's also true that I live in a part of the world where storm related service outages are not unheard of. It's true that storms like Katrina don't come along all that often, but once they do I find it helpful to have hard copies of whatever I use. Books, movies, workouts. Helps pass the time til service comes back, if nothing else.